SODDY DAISY - STATE CHAMPIONS AGAIN?

THE INTIMIDATOR

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STD, Kassie is a great leader, but you have to admit on paper that the lost of 7 starters, and a bench with little to no playing time would be a HUGE hurtle. Beech didn't look sharp most of the season. You're correct they have peaked at the right time, and I think the coaches have done an excellent job this year. In fact, I think Woods' should have been coach of the year. Lets face facts: 1. The least amount of talent in 15 years ( we can argue this one ). 2. Lost of coach Brinkley. 3. A much improved district. When Beech won the state in 1997, no one would have picked Beech to battle East Ridge in 98 for the title. That incoming freshman class was the BEST Beech has ever had. This class just does not have the overall talent of the previous years. I'm not trying to put any team down, I'm just looking at players and other teams talent. I do hope Beech can give a good showing this year in state. They are the most underrated Beech team in a very long time. I just love to discuss other teams with you. We need to get some of the other regulars in on these discussion such as backoff, Antwan, Indian, ERA, etc. Keep those cards and letters coming. lol. B)

you are right.. there was nothing wrong with Falon or Riverdale except that they came out there expecting it to be a "cakewalk" and it was just gonna be a no biggie.... WRONG THEY WERE!!! red bank did some serious damage to some egos last night and maybe they [red bank] will finally get the credit and recgonition they deserve.. great job ladies!!

-MEMPHIS ALL THE WAY!!!-

825679726[/snapback]

1. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY expected it to be easy, much less a cake walk. I study and read. I'm on the internet and looking for stories constantly about teams and their games that we will face. You are putting words in peoples mouths that were never spoken. I have multiple stories stored on my PC about Red Bank and what's been happening in their district games and tournaments. Very impressive to say the least.

2. With all due respect IconU2, I never said Riverdale was down after the first inning and I apologize if you interpreted it that way. We at Riverdale don't make excuses and never will. Phone conversations are meant to be just that, a conversation amongst friends and not meant to be quoted on the message boards.

3. A pitch count is just that. That means if you practice pitching, they count too. We could never hone her pitches between games this season ever since she injured it.

4. Riverdale players are the real thing. They have had to overcome much adversity this year. Cat goes down, then she's back and then goes down for good while simultaneously Falon is injured. Our second baseman has had shoulder a shoulder injury and a quad injury and still found a way to get it done this year. Darci Gilbert stepped it way up. She is not a seasoned pitcher and delivered quite a performance this season. I look for her to do spectacular things next year. Wilson Central suffered from some of these same problems.

5. Falon will report to the Dr. this week for a scheduled scoping of the shoulder. Afterwards, the decision for operating will be made. It won't happen till after the June 11th, my oldest daughter's wedding. Can't have a strapless dress and a huge bandage on the shoulder at the wedding........"wife's orders".

FYI, last year, Falon had right at 30 strikeouts against Red Bank. Red Bank picked their game up considerably. Red Bank is very deserving of the title. Represent Region 4 the best you can. Congratulations again Red Bank. thumb

STD, Kassie is a great leader, but you have to admit on paper that the lost of 7 starters, and a bench with little to no playing time would be a HUGE hurtle. Beech didn't look sharp  most of the season. You're correct they have peaked at the right time, and I think the coaches have done an excellent job this year. In fact, I think Woods' should have been coach of the year. Lets face facts: 1. The least amount of talent in 15 years ( we can argue this one ). 2. Lost of coach Brinkley. 3. A much improved district. When Beech won the state in 1997, no one would have picked Beech to battle East Ridge in 98 for the title.  That incoming freshman class was the BEST Beech has ever had. This class just does not have the overall talent of the previous years. I'm not trying to put any team down, I'm just looking at players and other teams talent. I do hope Beech can give a good showing this year in state. They are the most underrated  Beech team in a very long time. I just love to discuss other teams with you. We need to get some of the other regulars in on these discussion such as backoff, Antwan, Indian, ERA, etc.  Keep those cards and letters coming. lol.  B)

825679987[/snapback]

I agree Beech lost 7 seniors - A very talented group. However, to say they have the lowest level of talent in 15 years is a strong statement. You can't accomplish what Beech has this year without talent. This untalented Beech team has beaten some very good teams this year. They came out of arguably the toughest district in the state. I think you are mistaking youth for lack of talent. Beech starts 2 freshman( DH is a freshman), 3 sophomores, 4 Juniors and 1 senior. Two of the Juniors are first year players.

Beech is accustomed to being overlooked and underated. They may not win a game in the state. If they don't, I can assure you it will not be due to lack of effort or talent.

ERA, I owe you an apology. I did not mean for it to sound that way, and you're correct for not making broad comments on the message boards. Again, my apologies. You have always given credit where credit is due, and have never made excuses for Riverdale. Your first class in my book. Red Bank is a good team will do well at state.

Sparrow 6, Thank you for your comments. I'm making these points based on many years of watching Beech and many other schools. I said in my statement that you could argue the talent point. I will be the first to admit they have out performed everyones expectations this year. I truly believe if you asked any of the players, coaches, fans, other teams, etc. you would get a general concensus that Beech would be down this year. I'm happy for them, and maybe the lack of pressure to perform has helped them. Again, and this is my own opinion; that they have played above their talent level. This is a credit to the players, coaches, etc. I'm not putting them down; I'm just pointing out some items for discussion. 1. You need to look at team batting, on base percentages, errors, etc. They have the worst ( team batting averages ) of any Beech team that I can remember. 2. Overall team speed to me is down. You watch teams like Soddy with those little bottle rockets; they will burn you. I think they do have some defensive holes, and the base running has at times has been questionable. All I'm saying to win the big prize, you have to be tops in these areas. I'm not trying to pick any fights, I'm just putting this out for discussion.

Sparrow 6, Thank you for your comments. I'm making these points based on many years of watching Beech and many other schools. I said in my statement that you could argue the talent point. I will be the first to admit they have out performed everyones expectations this year. I truly believe if you asked any of the players, coaches, fans, other teams, etc. you would get a general concensus that Beech would be down this year. I'm happy for them, and maybe the lack of pressure to perform has helped them. Again, and this is my own opinion; that they have played above their talent level. This is a credit to the players, coaches, etc. I'm not putting them down; I'm just pointing out some items for discussion. 1. You need to look at team batting, on base percentages, errors, etc. They have the worst ( team batting averages ) of any Beech team that I can remember. 2. Overall team speed to me is down. You watch teams like Soddy with those little bottle rockets; they will burn you. I think they do have some defensive holes, and the base running has at times has been questionable. All I'm saying to win the big prize, you have to be tops in these areas. I'm not trying to pick any fights, I'm just putting this out for discussion.

825680167[/snapback]

This team has taken a while to gel, but they seem to be playing well right now. Some of the inexperienced girls have had a season now to get more comfortable. Maybe they are finding their own strengths now. I wish them the best at the State. Just to get there is an accomplishment that all teams going should appreciate and enjoy.

Goodpasture player for player is the best in the state without question. Chattanooga aint the only place that competitive softball is played. Soddy is picked number one every year and yes they are a great team. I'm well aware that they are able to win state. Last year they were picked to win. In 2002 they were picked to win and didn't even make it to the championship. you are right when you are on top you will have a target. So when and if you ever make it to the top (not the self proclaimed top) everyone will be gunning for you.

825678837[/snapback]

Soddy is always good and a threat, but last year they had Zero seniors and only two juniors on the whole team. Sixteen freshmen, two sophomores, and two juniors placed 2nd in the state. At the beginning of the year, no one but Coach Kirk was picking them to be a contender. That is pretty remarkable when you consider how young last year's team was - State Runners-up. So, last year was everyone's chance for "payback", but the Lady Trojan tradition stepped in and made a statement. The team was devastated that they lost to Beech in the championship. They had beaten Beech earlier in tournament play during the regular season. The Lady Trojans are for real - every year. The opponents don't like admitting it, but they have their chances to prove otherwise everytime they take on the Lady Trojans.

Don't count Rossview out.  They feature Ashley Elrod who is closing in on 1100 strikeouts and a team of 7 seniors.  This team is hungry and should be tough to beat at state. thumb

825681759[/snapback]

Having seniors dont matter, look at Red Bank, their fourteen year old Freshman pitcher helped them get to state and win their first game. Grade level isn't nothing, its if 9 people can play together and work as a team.