State 13u

roster limit is 15

825680389[/snapback]

I was worried when my neighbor fouled out with about 4 mins to go on Fri. There are two others, I think, from up here on the plateau on youre team. Could we have a peek at your roster? Number, name and school only please. :blink:

Edited by jimbo44

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remeber reading earlier posts, which speculated as to the outcome of the 13u bracket. If I remember correctly, only one person thought that the Pride could make a run at third place (and that was before realizing that one of the starters would have to play with a hurt wrist). I did not think that was unreasonable considering the VERY strong teams in this age group. I think 5 teams made it out of pool play at Nationals last year? However, I am curious as to what you all think made the difference? Were they overlooked? Did they just outplay the other teams? What happened?

What a great showing for Tennessee girls' basketball! Good luck to all the teams at Nationals, and let's all do like Sidetrain suggested and cheer for the TN girls.

I remeber reading earlier posts, which speculated as to the outcome of the 13u bracket.  If I remember correctly, only one person thought that the Pride could make a run at third place (and that was before realizing that one of the starters would have to play with a hurt wrist).  I did not think that was unreasonable considering the VERY strong teams in this age group.  I think 5 teams made it out of pool play at Nationals last year?  However, I am curious as to what you all think made the difference?  Were they overlooked?  Did they just outplay the other teams?  What happened?

What a great showing for Tennessee girls' basketball!  Good luck to all the teams at Nationals, and let's all do like Sidetrain suggested and cheer for the TN girls.

825680398[/snapback]

It was a great showing. I don't know much about the teams in Pool A. (I did see the TN Elite vs. W TN Tigers game, though). But in Pool B - Shelbyville, us (Memphis Lady Elite), Team Pride, and the Stars - any team could have reasonably won the pool and could have ended up in the final. From what I saw the TN Elite should also be added to that bunch.

As for why the Pride, I thought that Woosley did a great jump coaching her girls. Even after losing a heart breaker to her and her team, our coaches and parents could still recognize the great coaching job she did. We led the Pride for most of our game and were even up by 10 in the 2nd half, but she had her team hang in and beat us in the last 30 or 40 seconds. They showed great poise and just as important, they looked like they were in great shape - they never got tired. The Tigers have great endurance and the only teams that can hang with them are the ones in the same great shape. Thirdly, from what I understand of the team, they had girls step up throughout the tournament who weren't necessarily considered to be the stars of the team. Congratulations to the new state champs.

I'd also like to say that one of the most impressive TEAMs at the tournament was the TN Elite. They went toe to toe with the W TN Tigers in their bracket game with a pretty small lineup and playing team ball. The girls gave it everything they had and Coach Don Jackson did a great job in my opinion. I think they were under estimated but I think all the teams beyond the W TN Tigers and Shelbyville got underestimated. Along those lines, the Stars are a great example. If you just look at their won-loss record, you could easily overlook them. But you can't overlook anybody who nearly pulled off an upset of Shelbyville with a total of 6 girls present for the tournament. Even when we played them, I had to admire their tough and determined team effort.

Finally, none of what I have said should be taken as putting down the W TN Tigers or Shelbyville. They are both great teams and either could have taken state (Shelbyville certainly demonstrated that to us). But from what I saw, the state of TN is just loaded at 13u. Look out, Dayton.

Edited by philtenn

Am I understanding that Tiffany's Team Pride 13U team won state?

How could this have happened?

825680317[/snapback]

Congratulations to Team Pride for winning the state title. The championship game was definitely a great game against the West TN Lady Tigers/Elite. If you weren't there, you missed it. It was a heated battle for both teams. Both teams are very talented and will go very far in nationals. By the time nationals rolls around, the West TN Lady Tigers/Elite will have all 12 of their players healthy and ready to compete for the gold in Dayton. The Tigers/Elite had a limited rotation due to injuries, but those 7 or 8 players gave 150% in every game. They just came up a little short in the championship game. Again, congratulations to TN Lady Tigers/Elite and Team Pride and all the other teams advancing to the National Tournament. The state of Tennessee will be represented very well. thumb

Congratulations to Team Pride for winning the state title.  The championship game was definitely a great game against the West TN Lady Tigers/Elite.  If you weren't there, you missed it.  It was a heated battle for both teams.  Both teams are very talented and will go very far in nationals.  By the time nationals rolls around, the West TN Lady Tigers/Elite will have all 12 of their players healthy and ready to compete for the gold in Dayton.  The Tigers/Elite had a limited rotation due to injuries, but those 7 or 8 players gave 150% in every game.  They just came up a little short in the championship game.  Again, congratulations to TN Lady Tigers/Elite and Team Pride and all the other teams advancing to the National Tournament.  The state of Tennessee will be represented very well. thumb

825680787[/snapback]

Congrats to all teams, from the West TN Lady Tigers/Elites, we will represent Tn. well. Also, the eigth players that played this past weekend out of 12 players, played with outstanding courage, and determination. No excuses should be made about who won or lost, because even with injuries you must still play. We will be ready for Nationals, with two starters returning from injury reserve, and our role players returning. Again, I would like to thank our young ladies for playing the game, and continuing to develop. Throughout the state individuals will ask how the tigers lost, and we will say to a great team and coaching staff; but we will take this lost and learn from it. thumb

It was a great showing.  I don't know much about the teams in Pool A.  (I did see the TN Elite vs.  W TN Tigers game, though).  But in Pool B - Shelbyville, us (Memphis Lady Elite), Team Pride, and the Stars - any team could have reasonably won the pool and could have ended up in the final.  From what I saw the TN Elite should also be added to that bunch.

As for why the Pride, I thought that Woosley did a great jump coaching her girls.  Even after losing a heart breaker to her and her team, our coaches and parents could still recognize the great coaching job she did.  We led the Pride for most of our game and were even up by 10 in the 2nd half, but she had her team hang in and beat us in the last 30 or 40 seconds.  They showed great poise and just as important, they looked like they were in great shape - they never got tired.  The Tigers have great endurance and the only teams that can hang with them are the ones in the same great shape.  Thirdly, from what I understand of the team, they had girls step up throughout the tournament who weren't necessarily considered to be the stars of the team.  Congratulations to the new state champs.

I'd also like to say that one of the most impressive TEAMs at the tournament was the TN Elite.  They went toe to toe with the W TN Tigers in their bracket game with a pretty small lineup and playing team ball.  The girls gave it everything they had and Coach Don Jackson did a great job in my opinion.  I think they were under estimated but I think all the teams beyond the W TN Tigers and Shelbyville got underestimated.  Along those lines, the Stars are a great example.  If you just look at their won-loss record, you could easily overlook them.  But you can't overlook anybody who nearly pulled off an upset of Shelbyville with a total of 6 girls present for the tournament.  Even when we played them, I had to admire their tough and determined team effort.

Finally, none of what I have said should be taken as putting down the W TN Tigers  or Shelbyville.  They are both great teams and either could have taken state (Shelbyville certainly demonstrated that to us).  But from what I saw, the state of TN is just loaded at 13u.  Look out, Dayton.

825680449[/snapback]

I have to agree totally because the games I saw it could have turn at any point. If at all posible I'm going to try to watch and cheer on all our teams going to nationals. It would be nice to see a TN team bring the National Championship back to TN.

Edited by Sidetrain

One thing that really struck me about this tournament was the shooting. Especially outside shooting. Shelbyville, TN Elite and TN Stars had girls that could run and gun with the best of them. There was such a difference between 13U and 12U in this area. My daughter came home knowing what she needs to work on--she's in the gym right now--yep, shooting! There are so many great players to watch in Tennessee. If I was a betting mom I'd put money on TN to place several teams in the top 10. Good luck to all going to Dayton!

One thing that really struck me about this tournament was the shooting.  Especially outside shooting.  Shelbyville, TN Elite and TN Stars had girls that could run and gun with the best of them.  There was such a difference between 13U and 12U in this area.  My daughter came home knowing what she needs to work on--she's in the gym right now--yep, shooting!  There are so many great players to watch in Tennessee.  If I was a betting mom I'd put money on TN to place several teams in the top 10.  Good luck to all going to Dayton!

825681181[/snapback]

I totally agree. There was a definite focus on outside shooting rather than post play in this tournament. I found this sort of strange considering the size and skill of many of the post players in the tournament. This tournament boasted some of the best (and tallest) post players in the nation, yet many of the teams didn't get the ball inside near as much as they needed to (I saw one game where I don't think Shelbyville went inside to Kayci more then 3 times, if even that). Many people were a little shocked when the Tennessee Team Pride won the championship, but they did something that few other teams did, which was go inside. They went into the post even though there post player played with a hurt hand and couldn't really catch the ball all that well. And though she struggled early on in pool play with it, she eventually adapted to it, and she was a big reason they came away with 1st place. Now I love the 3-point shot just as much as anyone, but it will not win you a National Championship. If these Tennessee teams are going to be bringing home any hardware from the National Tournament, they are going to have to start getting their post players more touches and not just rely on them for the offensive rebounds and put backs.

As for the tournament, it was top notch. There was some absolutely great games played and I enjoyed them all. The pool play game between the Tennessee Team Pride and Memphis Lady Elite particularly stands out in my mind because both crowds were into it and it was just a great atmosphere. There was definitely some great shooters in this tournament and it was easy to see just how different the games between the 12U teams and 13U teams are. Kudos to the Tennessee Stars for playing with more heart and determination then any team I've seen all year. I don't think I've ever seen a team of 6 players compete like they did and it was truly inspiring. I really thought they were going to beat Shelbyville down the stretch which in my mind would have been a huge upset.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to see the West Tennessee Lady Tigers/Elite at thier strongest. I wanted to see what they were really capable of and unfortunately they had many players injured or not feeling well. Other then that, I left the tournament feeling pretty satisfied with what I had witnesses. So, congratulations to the Tennessee Team Pride on their State Championship and to all the teams who earned to birth to Nationals. I hope one of you is able to bring a National Championship back to Tennessee.

Going to Dayton

TN Team Pride

West TN Tiger/Elite

Shelbyville Sportshop

TN Elite

West TN Elite

TN Tigers

TN Stars

Any word on the East TN Bulls, are they going to try and qualify or have their top players already been picked up?

Are any of the players from the FC Voyagers going to be picked up? I did not get to see play this past weekend.

Going to Dayton

TN Team Pride

West TN Tiger/Elite

Shelbyville Sportshop

TN Elite

West TN Elite

TN Tigers

TN Stars

Any word on the East TN Bulls, are they going to try and qualify or have their top players already been picked up?

Are any of the players from the FC Voyagers going to be picked up? I did not get to see play this past weekend.

825681300[/snapback]

uh... that's the Memphis Lady Elite... not the West TN Elite... <_<:)