Hendersonville VS. Brentwood

mm61904

Don't think for a second that everything went Brentwood's way or the refs were "for Brentwood."  Trust me, they don't care.  Our side would gladly dredge up enough anecdotal references of "bias" in other sports if you want to try and make a point!

825684069[/snapback]

Ha, riiiiiiight. And I could dredge up enough from one regular season football game in 2003... :P

I'm kidding of course, fromthetop2. You can see by my posts I'm excited for y'all. And I agree with your last post whole-heartedly. I hate it when people attempt to blame officials for a loss. You can state that you disagreed with them and all that, but in the long run it is up to your team to overcome what you feel was adversity and win the game (cough cough, that same regular season game...).

So again, congratulations to Brentwood! thumb

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what people are saying when they say HHS is a better team. Clearly Brentwood won and thats it. Kelley is a real good player and Brentwood showed how good there defense was by stopping him. #4 on Brentwood is the best defensive player i have seen since Kyle Crow. Congrats B'wood

congrats to brentwood they are very deserving of it despite what some people say. i go to blackman we played them they are a very skilled team. so it was no fluke that they won. they where #1 for most of the year and people said they where over rated cant really say that anymore can ya.

So what was the red for?  Serious foul play?  Anyone know for sure?

825684044[/snapback]

No. It was a collision. If a card was warranted, it should have been yellow at best. Definitely nothing about the play warranted a red, and I think the players and the fans in the stands from both sides agree on that. Not even Coach Purcell felt the red card was warranted. Quoting from Sunday's Tennessean:

"Purcell didn’t feel the action warranted a red card.

'I am not sure what happened,' Purcell said. 'It was just another hard play. Nothing blatant or intentional.'"

As usual, the majority of those posting to Coach T don't play for the teams they're talking about, and in this case, weren't even at the game, which just stinks.

This was not a red card offense and it created a lousy situation for both teams. Both are excellent teams and both deserved the chance to meet at state in a fair and well-officiated match. TSSAA failed miserably in its duty to provide the highest quality of officiating at the state tournament. The result was a blow to the players from both teams.

Several Hendersonville & Brentwood players play club ball together. The teams look forward to their school matches because of their mutual respect for one another. These ARE the two best high school teams in the state and they know it. Both teams wanted to play a fair and even match and both were cheated by not being allowed to do so. These are the best players and they deserve the best officials. They didn't get them. The center ref should never decide the game. When another team - with only 10 men on the field - sends up a defender who scores on you to take the lead, and then manages to hold you to a tie through the remainder of regulation, two overtimes and two sudden deaths, and you can only win in PKs - it's certainly not the "victory" you were looking for. When a team plays you that hard with only 10 men to your 11, you respect them and you know that with good officiating, the outcome could have been a lot different, but we'll never know, will we? We were all cheated because TSSAA failed to provide the two best teams in the state with the best officiating, which is a sad and sorry thing.

Congratulations to both of us - we BOTH deserved better at state.

Hendersonville wouldn't have been in the final if it were not for Kelly. It would have been Bearden vs. Brentwood.

825684030[/snapback]

Man, do you even play soccer? If you do and if you believe what you said, then that's the reason your team didn't make it to the state final and Hendersonville did. Even Kelly would tell you that. How do you suppose Kelly got the ball to score? Who do you think kept Bearden from scoring? You obviously have no clue how many different H'ville players have scored critical goals this year. Did you know that H'ville beat Brentwood in regular season while Kelly was in Ireland?

In the final at Memphis, it was a Hendersonville defender who came up to score the goal that put Hendersonville ahead. And in PKs, Kelly's kick missed. No mistake - Kelly's great. He sure ought to be picked for the U-17 residential program. But Kelly's not why Hendersonville was in the final. Hendersonville was in the final because the players are a team.

Man, do you even play soccer? If you do and if you believe what you said, then that's the reason your team didn't make it to the state final and Hendersonville did. Even Kelly would tell you that. How do you suppose Kelly got the ball to score? Who do you think kept Bearden from scoring? You obviously have no clue how many different H'ville players have scored critical goals this year. Did you know that H'ville beat Brentwood in regular season while Kelly was in Ireland?

In the final at Memphis, it was a Hendersonville defender who came up to score the goal that put Hendersonville ahead. And in PKs, Kelly's kick missed. No mistake - Kelly's great. He sure ought to be picked for the U-17 residential program. But Kelly's not why Hendersonville was in the final. Hendersonville was in the final because the players are a team.

825684268[/snapback]

Actually my team WON the final. But with that aside, I was referring to the fact that you all would not have been in the final game without the goals of Kelly against Bearden on Thur. night. I did NOT say that you wouldn't have made it to state without Kelly because obvioulsy you did. I was not discounting your team effort, just saying that you def. had a tight game with Bearden and Kelly is the one who made it happen THAT night - thus getting you to the final.

And for the record I know who all your players were that scored critical goals this year.

I do know that HV beat BW in regualr season, I was there. Another poster here refered to the fact that you beat BW without Kelly (1-0 mind you) but could not beat them with him. I thought that was interesting. He scored 1 great goal but other than that was a non-factor. I think Brentwood did a pretty good job shutting him down as you did shutting down Lowder.

You can relax now.

No. It was a collision. If a card was warranted, it should have been yellow at best. Definitely nothing about the play warranted a red, and I think the players and the fans in the stands from both sides agree on that. Not even Coach Purcell felt the red card was warranted. Quoting from Sunday's Tennessean:

"Purcell didn’t feel the action warranted a red card.

'I am not sure what happened,' Purcell said. 'It was just another hard play. Nothing blatant or intentional.'"

As usual, the majority of those posting to Coach T don't play for the teams they're talking about, and in this case, weren't even at the game, which just stinks.

This was not a red card offense and it created a lousy situation for both teams. Both are excellent teams and both deserved the chance to meet at state in a fair and well-officiated match. TSSAA failed miserably in its duty to provide the highest quality of officiating at the state tournament. The result was a blow to the players from both teams.

Several Hendersonville & Brentwood players play club ball together. The teams look forward to their school matches because of their mutual respect for one another. These ARE the two best high school teams in the state and they know it. Both teams wanted to play a fair and even match and both were cheated by not being allowed to do so. These are the best players and they deserve the best officials. They didn't get them. The center ref should never decide the game.  When another team - with only 10 men on the field - sends up a defender who scores on you to take the lead, and then manages to hold you to a tie through the remainder of regulation, two overtimes and two sudden deaths, and you can only win in PKs - it's certainly not the "victory" you were looking for. When a team plays you that hard with only 10 men to your 11, you respect them and you know that with good officiating, the outcome could have been a lot different, but we'll never know, will we? We were all cheated because TSSAA failed to provide the two best teams in the state with the best officiating, which is a sad and sorry thing.

Congratulations to both of us - we BOTH deserved better at state.

825684230[/snapback]

It's all a matter of perspective isn't it? I agree with a lot of this post but I don't think either team was cheated. I don't think there was anything "unfair" for either team. There are blown calls in every game and calls that are legit are almost always considered bogus and game busters for the loosers. While we all think the red card was extreme, it doesn't matter if we think it was warranted or not. It was the call that the ref deemed appropriate. Nothing "unfair" about that. As long as we are quoting coachs, we should point out Plummer's quip, "That’s the call they made, so that’s the call you have to play with.” Also, I don't think you can call a blind-side foul from behind a "collision" but that's OK. We also don't know what may have transpired before the call (in the eyes of the ref) with the specific player that was given red.

I agree that the outcome COULD have been alot different - for a larger Brentwood victory in regulation. I think the game tape will show that the Tyler Olgilvie shot that bounced inside of the goal line should have been credited as a goal but the linesman was just not there to see it. I am sure the game tape will prove it, but, it doesn't matter, we didn't get it, that's soccer. Did Chris Fromhold's light bump in the box warrant a PK to give HV an easy lead at half. We don't think so, but hey, that's soccer. We can live with it.

The only games I have seen over the last few years that have ended in PKs are between the very best of the best - evenly matched teams. When a game gets to a shoot-out, it's a whole new ballgame. Doesn't matter what happen before. All things are equal - until one team is better. That's just soccer. We can live with it ;)

When a game gets to a shoot-out, it's a whole new ballgame. Doesn't matter what happen before. All things are equal - until one team is better. That's just soccer. We can live with it ;)

825684302[/snapback]

When it gets to a shootout, the game's over and it's a crap shoot. That's why we all hate shootouts cuz they're more like buying lottery tickets instead of playing soccer. But if u can't beat a team in regulation, u take it any way u can get it. The trophy still has ur name on it.

who got the medals the trophy and the rings brentwood did so they are better. It does not matter what u say brentwood won and that is that. The shot count was 30 to 11 that should tell you something. when your a man down the defence does not change the style in which you play defence. The farrgut game was no fluke brentwood won that game and so they are the better team. so screw all of u who ever doubted the brentwood team they came out on top and proved you all wrong. the 2005 state champs are brentwood and always will be brentwood         

we be state champs and ya'll came in second place but if it makes u feel better, you are the first losers.

825684080[/snapback]

Classest post ive seen on this thread...But anyways....

As a Hendersonville alumnist, and a proud member of the Commando soccer program for two years, I send my congrats on a great season to Coach Plummer and to the rest of the Commando team. Yall had a heck of a season, and should be proud of all your accomplishments this year. Youll get em next year..I have faith in that.

To Brentwood, I will congratulate as well. You cant love anything more than seeing the 2 top teams going at it in the finals of the state tourny, and the game being decided by PK's. Storybook finish.

11v 11 Hendersonville would have won. hville was leading 2-1 when the red card occured and changed things entirely. For some of you to say a red card doesnt change things means you know nothing about the game. Brentwood won on penalties, that does not make them the better team. hville would have tacked on a few more if it werent for the send off, and would have taken this final easily.

Hendersonville played

Brentwood straight up 10 v 11 and had probably more dangerous chances to score. But when you play down 1 player, you have to pick your spots and cant send as many players forward. A man up is a huge advantage, and no, I didnt think the red was warranted. The referee did not have a good game. There were some bad calls on his part, the red card, gave lots of yellow cards for dissent, he would call a foul and not let advantage play out several times in the attacking third. TSSAA has to have better referees for a final.

Sounds like from everything that Brentwood got the advantage of the refs in the tournament from the Farragut game as well as the Hendersonville game. Sometimes when teams are that evenly matched, the champion is the one who got the benefit of the call from the refs or they got the lucky break.