Who's the best player to come out of your school?

bhsOL

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hv06,

Some of us westenders already got big Doug Atkins on the list. This thread wouldn't be complete without him. He's one of the biggest men I ever met (and one great football player)!!!!

HHSnumber1fan,

Matt Tant is a good player and always enjoyed watchin' him play for the 'Doors. My son played against him in the playoffs in HS a couple of times. Matthew had an older brother who was a lineman who also signed with Vandy. What happened to him????

Edited by duckman38201

Doug Atkins is from Humboldt and went to UT on a basketball scholarship! Ended up an All American football player and played MANY years with the Chicago Bears as a DE. the Majors bunch is from TN too but not sure what town.

825695207[/snapback]

Thanks, duckman! I once saw Fran Tarkenton comment about Doug Atkins. He said that, without a doubt, Doug Atkins was the BIGGEST MAN he'd ever seen. I think that the subject of Atkins came up during a broadcast of a game around the time that Atkins had been elected into the NFL Hall of Fame.

I think that Atkins, until now, is the only U T player ever elected. No doubt the late and GREAT, Reggie White, will make it soon, as will Peyton Manning.

And biglon, I'm trying to learn about the fourth Majors brother. I'll get back to you.

And thanks, RadioChris! And didn't Brown actually scoop up the blocked kick himself, and run it down the field? I'm getting chills again, just thinking back to that play.

You are always bad mouthing Red Bank, were screen name is Indian so you

must have played or lived in Dunlap and just wished you could have been at Red Bank!

825695586[/snapback]

I saw your post on another thread where you said you've been watching Red Bank football for over 40 years. How old are you? Because you're acting like your 12.

Guest catfish-hunter

Sycamore high's best ever is without question Wes Proctor (1998-2001). Proctor was a two year all-state athlete on the gridiron at Sycamore and this year will be his third year starting for the Austin Peay Governors.

Cheatham County high's best ever college success is Michael Jackson (1996-1999). Jackson was a two year starter for the Cubs and was an all-region offensive lineman. He started four years at UT-Martin from 2000-2003.

Harpeth high's best is probably the best football player to ever walk onto a football field in our county and he is Matthew Tant (1997-2000). Tant was a two-time all-state athlete and is the school's all-time leading rusher. He started three years of college football at Vanderbilt from 2002-2004.

Guest catfish-hunter
yeah you wish old geezer.  You couldn't even hit me if you threw you're walker at me.

825695854[/snapback]

Let me guess that the best player to come from your school is Ryan Jeanette :D:PB)

Thanks, duckman!  I once saw Fran Tarkenton comment about Doug Atkins.  He said that, without a doubt, Doug Atkins was the BIGGEST MAN he'd ever seen.  I think that the subject of Atkins came up during a broadcast of a game around the time that Atkins had been elected into the NFL Hall of Fame. 

I think that Atkins, until now, is the only U T player ever elected.  No doubt the late and GREAT, Reggie White, will make it soon, as will Peyton Manning.

And biglon, I'm trying to learn about the fourth Majors brother.  I'll get back to you.

And thanks, RadioChris!  And didn't Brown actually scoop up the blocked kick himself, and run it down the field?  I'm getting chills again, just thinking back to that play.

825695528[/snapback]

My dad introduced me to Doug Atkins in a restaurant in Memphis after an exibition game and he shook hands with me. Doug Atkins' hand reached almot half way to my elbow and I was 6' tall at the time!!!!! Awesome big man!!! And 100% athlete! I feel priviledged to have met him. He deserves every honor that a football player can receve. Even though Reggie White isn't a native Tennesseean, he played for UT and he is in the same class in my book!!!!!

If Reggie and Peyton don't make the Hall of Fame there is no justice in the world!!!

Edited by duckman38201