Who's the best player to come out of your school?

bhsOL

Riggs probably is the better back, but he also outweighed Ralph by about 40 pounds.  I don't know about Riggs total stats in high school, but Ralph rushed for over 5,000 yards and over 80 touchdowns his junior and senior year.

825694915[/snapback]

No probably about it baby, you see where each is playing and I doubt seriously if

King will even cut it at MTSU!!!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A long past post mentioned Oak Ridgers Mike Caldwell, Stan Fritts, Jason McAddley, Jerry Colquitt, Danny Sanders, and Jamie Redmond as playing in the NFL or having solid try-outs. Never did I see any mention of tackle Bob Winkel from the early 70's. He spent at least 2 years in the NFL.

http://www.databasefootball.com/players/pl...lkid=WINKEBOB01

No probably about it baby, you see where each is playing and I doubt seriously if

825695008[/snapback]

How old are you, 12? I didn't see the first person on here saying King was better than Riggs. 80 touchdowns must not be very impressive to you.

Seriously?  Wow, didn't know that.

825687169[/snapback]

Yup...Watson Brown, coach of Univ. of Alabama Birmingham is his brother, also a Cookeville native.

Born in Cookeville, Tenn., Brown was a three-sport star at Putnam County High School, where he lettered three times in football. He went on to attend Vanderbilt (1969-70) and graduated from Florida State. He lettered twice as a running back for the Seminoles in 1972-73. An injury sidelined him for much of the 1973 season and he worked and that led to the start of his coaching career as he became a student coach.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/mackbrown.html

Edited by Fuggly63

biglon68,

Those were Great Posts!  And you're probably the one to ask - - - Did the Great Doug Atkins (Maybe Adkins) attend High School in Tennessee? 

And the Majors Brothers - I think they were from the Sewanee Area; but I don't know which High School they attended; all were Outstanding Football Players.

825694976[/snapback]

Doug Atkins is from Humboldt and went to UT on a basketball scholarship! Ended up an All American football player and played MANY years with the Chicago Bears as a DE. the Majors bunch is from TN too but not sure what town.

While I'm on here:

McKenzie H.S. best: George Abernathy (class of 1969)- Vandy defensive end, All-SEC (went on to law school instead of NFL)

AND since nobody else has mentioned him:

Huntingdon H.S. best: Tim Priest (class of 1967 I believe): UT defensive back--All SEC, All American (as with Abernathy, went on to law school instead of NFL)(also, part of the Vols broadcasts every Saturday during the season.)

A long past post mentioned Oak Ridgers Mike Caldwell, Stan Fritts, Jason McAddley, Jerry Colquitt, Danny Sanders, and Jamie Redmond as playing in the NFL or having solid try-outs. Never did I see any mention of tackle Bob Winkel from the early 70's. He spent at least 2 years in the NFL.

http://www.databasefootball.com/players/pl...lkid=WINKEBOB01

825695012[/snapback]

Colquitt and Redmond never made an NFL roster, Redmond played in the arena league a couple seasons

You sound like a jealous idiot and remember this Ralph King couldn't hold Gerald

Riggs jock strap!!!!!!!!!!!

825695007[/snapback]

825695008[/snapback]

What's your problem with Ralph King? Ralph could probaby run circles around you. Ralph went to junior college out of high school because he didn't have good grades; he sat out of football for 2 years. He was getting offers from the same schools that Riggs was in high school. When Ralph decided to play football again, he wanted to stay at home so that's why he's at MTSU. Riggs may be a better back, but you don't have to put Ralph down. You sound like you're a 12 year old idiot who's just jealous of the talent that Ralph has.

Ralph is listed at 5'10" 182 lbs. Riggs is listed at 6'0" 220 lbs. Ralph was pretty darn good for someone so small.

Edited by bhsOL

Eddie Brown - UT - best known for getting his teeth knocked out while blocking a punt against Memphis (I think). Played Saftey and had a long career in the NFL and USFL. Led the NFL in Kick Returns in 1973. Played in the Super Bowl with the Rams and I think was on a USFL champion team also.

I think that Eddie Brown actually lost his teeth while blocking a Field Goal Attempt ....against the Kansas Jayhawks, took the ball and almost scored. U T then scored just before the half to get some Much-Needed Momentum.

The Kansas QB (I think his name was Jaynes *only a guess* had nearly humiliated the Vols Defense ....until that Amazing Play by Brown. John Ward sounded like he was going to jump from the press box when Brown made that play; one of the greatest plays in U T History.

Brown played for several seasons for Coach George Allen - Yes, the Virginia Senator's late Father. Coach Allen once said of Brown, that as long as he (Allen) had a job, Eddie Brown would have a job. Now that's High Praise from one of the Best NFL Coaches Ever.

825694890[/snapback]

Yep, your right it was a field goal. I should have remembered that as I have a picture taken of Brown in mid air blocking that kick.

biglon68,

Those were Great Posts!  And you're probably the one to ask - - - Did the Great Doug Atkins (Maybe Adkins) attend High School in Tennessee? 

And the Majors Brothers - I think they were from the Sewanee Area; but I don't know which High School they attended; all were Outstanding Football Players.

825694976[/snapback]

I see someone answered the Doug Atkins question. Johnny and Billy went to Huntland , Bobby attended Castle Heights Military Academy in Lebanon. Wasn't there a fourth brother who played at Florida or Florida State? Anyone know?