Oldest and Longest Running Rivalries

THSVikings2004

• 2 weeks later...

Maryville just won their 600th game since 1926 and the Maryville/Alcoa rivalry is in it's 77th year.

The first game was played in 1927...it should have been an omen for Alcoa fans as Maryville blanked Alcoa 18-0.

Not many rivalries that old. :D

Here's a link to interesting facts and records of that series...

Alcoa-Maryville Rivalry

• 2 weeks later...
Westview vs Milan

Westview vs Dresden

Westview vs Union City

Westview vs Huntingdon

Those are 4 great rivalries right there! thumb

825689018[/snapback]

Pride ... that Dresden vs. Westview rivalry is within Weakley County and I've been to one of those games ... hard hitting no matter who has the advantage ... geez ... those kids go out for blood!

Milan has some superb rivalries!! Milan and Humboldt used to be superb ... but I feel like its lost some glory with the Huntingdon vs. Milan game taking the forefront in the last couple years.

Union City vs. Obion County ... traditional rivalry. Definitely not friends during that week of the season.

Anyone got any news on JCS and USJ? They still love each other right? :thumb:

Edited by fieldgoal1

The ending of this rivalry had to do with one person's ego overshadowing all of the tradition and hard fought games...AD Mike Sims.  Money or not, he thinks he is bigger than any tradition, and I can not believe someone with the integrity of Superintendant Wayne Miller would let this happen.  Football will continue for one more year, and the rest of the sports are never to play eachother again.  Sims will not even allow a scrimmage between any LC and Loudon teams.  How does this man still have a job?

825708684[/snapback]

That's a shame. It is one of the neatest rivalries I have seen. All the food collected and seeing the kids run the football to the other school in time for kickoff is one of the best traditions I have ever seen.

Union County has never, never beaten Gibbs in a Football Game. They have wins in other sports but never in Football. They came close in 1982 but no win. Go up there and wear them out. It will be one of the 4 wins that you get. Other wins are Rutledge, Claiborne Co, and CAK. Good Luck and have a Great Year--in spite of the lack of coaching at Gibbs.

By the way in order to have a rivalry you have to have two teams that have a chance to win. Not in this case. Union Co needs to drop Football.

825733008[/snapback]

hmmm...methinks you're a little premature on the prediction for all those wins, especially since UC doesn't fare too well away from Maynardville...that and CAK has already thrashed them.