Oldest and Longest Running Rivalries

THSVikings2004

On Aug. 2, juicyt stated that "JCM and Haywood have been playing since 1912".

This would not be correct as JCM was not even a school until the late 60's. Of the two schools that combined to create JCM, Merry High never played Brownsville/Haywood Co. The rivalry WAS Jackson High vs. Brownsville/Haywood Co. and that rivalry ENDED when Jackson High was combined with the former Merry High.

It is wrong for the Jackson Sun and others to perpetuate the MYTH that JCM and Haywood Co. have been playing since 1912. End of story!

OllieShaggnasty pay attention to this: i would say that OR and Clinton is one of the longest running rivalries in the state but now that i think of how Clinton hardly Beats OR it aint a rivalry now is it Shaggyboy?

I agree with ArtVandalay that the rivalry with DB is the biggest one on our Schedulde. Always a great crowd atmosphere, many classic moments have happened in this series. hope to play ya'll again in the playoffs this year and goodluck to DB's season

On Aug. 2, juicyt stated that "JCM and Haywood have been playing since 1912".

This would not be correct as JCM was not even a school until the late 60's.  Of the two schools that combined to create JCM,  Merry High never played Brownsville/Haywood Co.  The rivalry WAS Jackson High vs. Brownsville/Haywood Co. and that rivalry ENDED when Jackson High was combined with the former Merry High. 

It is wrong for the Jackson Sun and others to perpetuate the MYTH that JCM and Haywood Co. have been playing since 1912.  End of story!

825750472[/snapback]

There is no myth. They are the same school. Jackson High is JCM. Merry High is JCM. The school has a pretty cool history after desegregation. The Bridge built across N. Royal street to unite the two Campuses together. The claw statue at the center of the bridge. I would say that no school in the state did a better job of uniting a segregated school system. Maybe you didn't notice but Brownsville is not a school anymore. Its now known as Haywood County. There is no Brownsville/Haywood County. Brownsville High was an all white school. Does that mean they are not the same? The answer is no. Bottom line is you couldn't be more wrong.

Edited by jaxoncm

Hendersonville vs. Gallatin  They have been playing since 1492, the year of Columbus.  Gallatin holds the edge with 477 wins leaving Hendersonville with 36 victories.  Closely followed is Mt. Juliet vs. Lebanon.  These two began play in 1645 and the series is split 180/180.  :thumb:

825708976[/snapback]

Your a complete idiot, 1492?? 477 Gallatin victories??

The actual numbers are more like from the 1940's and although Gallatin leads the series, Hendersonville is better off without Lassiter.

jaxoncm,

With all due respect, I am right. As the rivalry WAS Jackson High vs. Brownsville High, this rivalry ended when Jackson High merged with Merry High and Brownsville merged with the other school. You will not find a record book anywhere that recognizes JCM or Haywood Co. playing football in 1912. Those two schools simply did NOT exist in 1912. JCM and Haywood Co. began playing football against each other in the late 60's when both schools formed. And that is the truth.