CoachT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:  I am a Panther. I am not crazy enough to state that we will take it all. Who ever posted this must be a lunatic. Notice this was his first post. thumb

825698582[/snapback]

Wow, you're right! It was his first post.

On the other hand, you cannot blame someone for supporting their team, so in a way, I commend him.

Hello folks.. glad to be back with my first post since last November. To introduce myself, I have covered LCHS football since 1974 and currently write for our local newspaper. I also pride myself on being unbiased and totally objective. I also take pride in being one of the first moderators on this site a long time back.. So I have been around, just don't check in much until football season kicks off. Let me chime in with my thoughts...

Last year, at this time, while many were predicting another stellar season for Lewis County, I tried to be realistic and predicted a 6-4 season since the team was so young. This year, they have grown up quite a bit. Those who think it's the same team that lost to Camden 32-0 don't understand the growth of high school aged kids and the improvement that comes with experience. This team will be improved, much improved and yet, will still be playing a lot of young guys. I fully suspect that they will be starting 4-6 sophomores and amazingly, 3-4 freshmen will see significant playing time, if not starting. They will be much better but they are still one season away from really being a hoss... next year begins what should be a three year run of legitimate title possibilities. As for this year, much better but will need some younger guys to get real good, real soon.

With that in mind, I don't see how anyone could pick against Camden at this point and time. I am one of those midstate guys who saw nothing flukey about last year's great season. I thought that they were making real progress in 2003 and it just carried over into 2004 when they discovered winning, and liked it. If they can continue and build some tradition, it goes a long way in leading to a certain swagger and confidence that is hard to simply instill in high school footballers. They have some true talent and are the favorite in the preseason.

I would pick Lewis County second right now simply based on the unseemingly pipeline of talent that is available. I have bever seen them with so many possibilites at sjill positions. If their line play catches up this year, they should be solidly #2 in the region and could give Camden a real tussle for the top spot.

If Riverside gets out of the blocks quickly and gets some momentum, they will make the playoffs. One of their problems in the past is getting momentum established. It is oh so necessary that they get out of the gate fast. Two of their first three games will be against old 5-A schools Loretto and Richland and this should show every other school just how the two combined regions match up. Personally, I think that Riverside has to win both these games to be a serious contender.

Adamsville gets their first true regional test in week four at Waverly, it's an early game I realize, but this one is a good indicator of who will not advance to the playoffs. The loser can surely kiss any aspirations goodbye. This is a very important matchup to see who can advance and who will play out the string. I look at both these teams, along with Loretto, Richland and Riverside battling for third and fourth place. Two will make it, three will not.....

As for Loretto, I always like them but they drew a really rough schedule.. They will open up with a much improved 4-A Lawrence County.. then get Collinwood, normally a tough foe and then it's a defining moment against Riverside. I think Riverside can lose this game and still make the playoffs, I don't think Loretto can afford that luxury. Mark down week three and see who wins this game? Why do I see this as a possible "break-it" game for Loretto. because they catch Lewis County and Camden both on the road in the next two weeks.

Richland could be a true "sleeper." If their coaching staff gets their act together, they always seem to have loads of talent. They could easily start 3-0 before travelling to Riverside for game four. An upset there and then it's Lewis County at home and Camden on the road. If they have momentum, they always seem to play LCHS tough. Can you imagine if they are 4-0 and got some confidence? If they start fast, they could be a 7-3 or 8-2 team. But, and a big but... with Richland, they could as easily go 2-8 or 3-7, their lack of team discipline seems to always play a role in their finish.

Waverly is another team that should be improved. They need stability as much as anything. They were once one of the most respected programs in the midstate but something happened a few years back that sent them into a downward spiral and they have had trouble righting the ship. We will see if Coach Pullen can get it turned around? They have to be 3-2 or 4-1 when week six rolls around or it's a tough road to hoe with Riverside, Lewis County and Camden back to back to back.

Now I will admit that I am pretty uneducated about Houston County and Stewart County although Houston County has enjoyed some success lately. The Irish might make a play for fourth, maybe even higher? I simply don't know enough about them to make an educated synopsis. Heck, they might be #1... we will surely find out.

As for Stewart County, I will simply say that their chances of making the playoffs are not as rosy as some... Thank you.

That's what I got now and look forward to discussion concerning the new region and really look forward to visiting some new locales this year.

Adamsville [ 2 ] [2.86%]

Camden [ 31 ] [44.29%]

Houston County [ 1 ] [1.43%]

Lewis County [ 18 ] [25.71%]

Loretto [ 2 ] [2.86%]

Richland [ 1 ] [1.43%]

Decatur County-Riverside [ 11 ] [15.71%]

Stewart County [ 1 ] [1.43%]

Waverly [ 3 ] [4.29%]

Hello folks.. glad to be back with my first post since last November. To introduce myself, I have covered LCHS football since 1974 and currently write for our local newspaper. I also pride myself on being unbiased and totally objective. I also take pride in being one of the first moderators on this site a long time back..  So I have been around, just don't check in much until football season kicks off. Let me chime in with my thoughts...

Last year, at this time, while many were predicting another stellar season for Lewis County, I tried to be realistic and predicted a 6-4 season since the team was so young. This year, they have grown up quite a bit. Those who think it's the same team that lost to Camden 32-0 don't understand the growth of high school aged kids and the improvement that comes with experience. This team will be improved, much improved and yet, will still be playing a lot of young guys. I fully suspect that they will be starting 4-6 sophomores and amazingly, 3-4 freshmen will see significant playing time, if not starting. They will be much better but they are still one season away from really being a hoss... next year begins what should be a three year run of legitimate title possibilities. As for this year, much better but will need some younger guys to get real good, real soon.

With that in mind, I don't see how anyone could pick against Camden at this point and time. I am one of those midstate guys who saw nothing flukey about last year's great season. I thought that they were making real progress in 2003 and it just carried over into 2004 when they discovered winning, and liked it. If they can continue and build some tradition, it goes a long way in leading to a certain swagger and confidence that is hard to simply instill in high school footballers. They have some true talent and are the favorite in the preseason.

I would pick Lewis County second right now simply based on the unseemingly pipeline of talent that is available. I have bever seen them with so many possibilites at sjill positions. If their line play catches up this year, they should be solidly #2 in the region and could give Camden a real tussle for the top spot.

If Riverside gets out of the blocks quickly and gets some momentum, they will make the playoffs. One of their problems in the past is getting momentum established. It is oh so necessary that they get out of the gate fast. Two of their first three games will be against old 5-A schools Loretto and Richland and this should show every other school just how the two combined regions match up. Personally, I think that Riverside has to win both these games to be a serious contender.

Adamsville gets their first true regional test in week four at Waverly, it's an early game I realize, but this one is a good indicator of who will not advance to the playoffs. The loser can surely kiss any aspirations goodbye. This is a very important matchup to see who can advance and who will play out the string. I look at both these teams, along with Loretto, Richland and Riverside battling for third and fourth place. Two will make it, three will not.....

As for Loretto, I always like them but they drew a really rough schedule.. They will open up with a much improved 4-A Lawrence County.. then get Collinwood, normally a tough foe and then it's a defining moment against Riverside. I think Riverside can lose this game and still make the playoffs, I don't think Loretto can afford that luxury. Mark down week three and see who wins this game? Why do I see this as a possible "break-it" game for Loretto. because they catch Lewis County and Camden both on the road in the next two weeks.

Richland could be a true "sleeper." If their coaching staff gets their act together, they always seem to have loads of talent. They could easily start 3-0 before travelling to Riverside for game four. An upset there and then it's Lewis County at home and Camden on the road. If they have momentum, they always seem to play LCHS tough. Can you imagine if they are 4-0 and got some confidence? If they start fast, they could be a 7-3 or 8-2 team. But, and a big but... with Richland, they could as easily go 2-8 or 3-7, their lack of team discipline seems to always play a role in their finish.

Waverly is another team that should be improved. They need stability as much as anything. They were once one of the most respected programs in the midstate but something happened a few years back that sent them into a downward spiral and they have had trouble righting the ship. We will see if Coach Pullen can get it turned around? They have to be 3-2 or 4-1 when week six rolls around or it's a tough road to hoe with Riverside, Lewis County and Camden back to back to back.

Now I will admit that I am pretty uneducated about Houston County and Stewart County although Houston County has enjoyed some success lately. The Irish might make a play for fourth, maybe even higher? I simply don't know enough about them to make an educated synopsis. Heck, they might be #1... we will surely find out.

As for Stewart County, I will simply say that their chances of making the playoffs are not as rosy as some...  Thank you.

That's what I got now and look forward to discussion concerning the new region and really look forward to visiting some new locales this year.

Adamsville [ 2 ]  [2.86%]

Camden [ 31 ]  [44.29%]

Houston County [ 1 ]  [1.43%]

Lewis County [ 18 ]  [25.71%]

Loretto [ 2 ]  [2.86%]

Richland [ 1 ]  [1.43%]

Decatur County-Riverside [ 11 ]  [15.71%]

Stewart County [ 1 ]  [1.43%]

Waverly [ 3 ]  [4.29%]

825699955[/snapback]

A great synopsis and much appreciated...we are in the dark about alot of teams...Loretto, Richland and Stewart Co...we have played Houston co and handled them pretty well... the past few years and we have had the pleasure of seeing Lewis co during the playoffs....Camden and Waverly have a long standing rivalry going all the way back to the 40's...Coach Pullen has moved on and Coach Graves should be a much needed shot in the arm for the Tigers....we look forward to playing in what should turn out to be a very competitve region in the next few years. Thanks for a very informative post thumb

I don't know what you have been told, but Camden didn't lose a lot of starters. And the holes the are left will be filled. There's a lot of talent coming up into that program. Noone on the team benches less than 200 lbs. That's strength there, my friend. And the speed is back, so I don't see where they will be any weaker than last year on either side of the ball. Here's two players you didn't see much last year, but expect to see them a lot this year. They will fill in a few of the defensive and offensive holes.

# 35- Chase Horton- Soph. RB/LB This guy's a head hunter. Has been since little league. Oh, and he's put on a lot of size too.

# 86- Kyle Combs- Soph. TE/DE This kid's got great technique, decent speed and quickness, and is very strong. He's not the smallest guy around, either.

I only named these two players because they are the only ones I could think of right off the top of my head. What I am getting at here is that the team you saw from Camden last year will be much improved. Coach Ward is in his third year now, and the team is rallying around him and the rest of the coaching staff. Bryce Wilbanks is returning. If you don't know who I am talking about, you will soon. He's a wig splitter, and he's blazing fast. The whole defense if full of ballhawks. In the scrimmages against Milan and Union City this spring, the defense was more than dominant. It was AWESOME. Expect to get hit hard. I remember playoffs last year when the region 5 teams were claiming Camden didn't play very physical football. I hope you learned your lesson. Because if you didn't and you are expecting them to come in and finesse you, you are gonna be in for a long night.

The same can be said for Riverside. Those guys have been in the tough region for a while, and they know how to hit. You better be ready for a game when you play either of these teams.

I personally didn't see anything out of Lewis Co. last year that would lead me to believe this year will be any different. But that's just my opinion, and I have been wrong.

825690179[/snapback]

how much the team benches has nothing to do with how they play football. I mean beching a lot doesn't really help you in football anyway and i am quoting a Tennessee Vols trainer on this. It all boils down on how you play not how strong you are. You could have a guy that benches over 300 lbs and squats over 600 lbs but if he doesn't know the game his strength is pretty much worthless.

how much the team benches has nothing to do with how they play football.  I mean beching a lot doesn't really help you in football anyway and i am quoting a Tennessee Vols trainer on this. It all boils down on how you play not how strong you are. You could have a guy that benches over 300 lbs and squats over 600 lbs but if he doesn't know the game his strength is pretty much worthless.

825700418[/snapback]

If you played ball against Camden last year then you know how strong they are...you're right what you bench or squat means squat...its what you do on the field...last years top lifter was Boyd our running back...but anyone who played against us will tell you just how strong our line was...form, discipline and coaching is what makes a team strong (and we have all those things in spades :( ) not weight lifting numbers thumb

Edited by Lions4ever

Here could be a possibility for round 1 of the playoffs between Region 5-2A and Region 6-2A:

Region 5-2A Region 6-2A

1Goodpasture 1Camden

2CPA 2Riverside

3DCA 3Lewis Co.

4Fairview 4Loretto

Fairview @ Camden

DCA @ Riverside

Lewis Co. @ CPA

Loretto @ Goodpasture

I'm not saying this is how it will be but it was just something to think about.

If you played ball against Camden last year then you know how strong they are...you're right what you bench or squat means squat...its what you do on the field...last years top lifter was Boyd our running back...but anyone who played against us will tell you just how strong our line was...form, discipline and coaching is what makes a team strong (and we have all those things in spades <_< ) not weight lifting numbers thumb

825700439[/snapback]

exactly my point

Here could be a possibility for round 1 of the playoffs between Region 5-2A and Region 6-2A:

Region 5-2A          Region 6-2A

1Goodpasture                  1Camden   

2CPA                              2Riverside

3DCA                              3Lewis Co.

4Fairview                        4Loretto

Fairview @ Camden

DCA @ Riverside

Lewis Co. @ CPA

Loretto @ Goodpasture

I'm not saying this is how it will be but it was just something to think about.

825700801[/snapback]

If i remember last year Adamsville kept ya'll out of the playoffs and went on instead what makes you think it will be any different