CoachT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You boys are badly mistaken if you don't think that USJ can compete in 2A. Look at their record from last year. They beat:

North Side - granted they were not very good, but they are 4A

McNairy Central - a 3A team that made it to the playoffs

South Side - a 3A team that made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs

They were undefeated all year until they lost to DCA (1a state champs) in the semi-finals of the playoffs.

USJ is a well coached team that will have better fundamentals than any team in that region. They may not have better atheletes than some, but they will not be a push over.

Edited by SSmitty

You boys are badly mistaken if you don't think that USJ can compete in 2A. Look at their record from last year. They beat:

North Side - granted they were not very good, but they are 4A

McNairy Central - a 3A team that made it to the playoffs

South Side - a 3A team that made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs

They were undefeated all year until they lost to DCA (1a state champs) in the semi-finals of the playoffs.

USJ is a well coached team that will have better fundamentals than any team in that region. They may not have better atheletes than some, but they will not be a push over.

825693817[/snapback]

Exactly right

They might not be a pushover, but they won't be a playoff team either. Look at what they lost. There is no way anybody is going to step in and play like the guys they had last year.

825693822[/snapback]

I don't see why they can't. All they do is just reload every year. They have done it every other year for the past fifteen years. They averaged like 10 wins wins a season over the past 15 years.

I'm not saying they will win the region, but I'd be willing to put a C-note down that says they will make the playoffs.

There was a reason they put in that 1.8 multiplier to bump guys like these up to 2A. Because they dominated 1A. And 1A and 2A football is not that big of a difference.

I don't see why they can't. All they do is just reload every year. They have done it every other year for the past fifteen years. They averaged like 10 wins wins a season over the past 15 years.

I'm not saying they will win the region, but I'd be willing to put a C-note down that says they will make the playoffs.

There was a reason they put in that 1.8 multiplier to bump guys like these up to 2A. Because they dominated 1A. And 1A and 2A football is not that big of a difference.

825693834[/snapback]

That is the FUNNIEST thing I have ever heard!!!!

There is a difference in 1A and 2A, especially at the top. I feel quite confident that Huntingdon, Milan, or Westview last year would have beaten anyone in 1A, and done so fairly handily.

That said, I do think USJ has a shot to finish 4th in the region, mainly because of one thing - fundamentals. These are some of the best-coached kids in the area. How do you think they beat South Side and McNairy last year? They certainly weren't more talented; they just don't make that many mistakes.

One of the problems they'll encounter, though, is the lack of "off weeks" like they've been able to get in 1A, getting to play 3-5 games per season against bad teams. Looking at their schedule, they have one or two, maybe three like that this year. Those lack of easy games will take a toll on them physically.

In my opinion, their key game is against Humboldt in week 8. They win that one, they're in the playoffs.

That is the FUNNIEST thing I have ever heard!!!!

825693835[/snapback]

The funniest thing I've ever heard is that they were good enough to beat your Riverside Panthers last year, who happen to be in what classification?

That's right Say it with me

2A

Edited by SSmitty

There is a difference in 1A and 2A, especially at the top.  I feel quite confident that Huntingdon, Milan, or Westview last year would have beaten anyone in 1A, and done so fairly handily.

That said, I do think USJ has a shot to finish 4th in the region, mainly because of one thing - fundamentals.  These are some of the best-coached kids in the area.  How do you think they beat South Side and McNairy last year?  They certainly weren't more talented; they just don't make that many mistakes.

One of the problems they'll encounter, though, is the lack of "off weeks" like they've been able to get in 1A, getting to play 3-5 games per season against bad teams.  Looking at their schedule, they have one or two, maybe three like that this year.  Those lack of easy games will take a toll on them physically.

In my opinion, their key game is against Humboldt in week 8.  They win that one, they're in the playoffs.

825693842[/snapback]

That maybe true as well, but still with the way they are so well coached and fundamentally sound they will not be pushovers

Well let's look at this for a second. Last year MY Riverside Panthers went 2-8. We played tough teams each week. Your team went what 12-1? You played tough teams every other week. Yes we are 2A but we were definitely not a consistent and strong team. There is a BIG difference between our team last year and what you are going to face each week this year. Might I add USJ will have to do this without Ross, Garrett, Pappis, Long, and Dement. Those guys played MAJOR roles in your success last year. Just take my advice.....you'll see once you get thrown in the middle of Huntingdon, Westview, Milan, and Humboldt. They will show you how much of a difference there is in 1A and 2A football.

Riverside beat USJ in every statistic except the score. The only reason for that was several bad calls. Think about it this. You barely beat the 2004 Riverside Panthers with help from the refs at home. What will happen to you when you play the ELITE 2A teams. Riverside was a 2A middle of the pack team last season. I CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU PLAY AGAINST 2A STATE CHAMPIONS.

825693865[/snapback]

I knew it wouldnt take long for the Riverside people to bring up the "bad calls" in last years game. The refs didnt beat you; your coach did. Hunter Smith was getting 5-7 yards a carry but for some unknown reason the coach stopped giving him the ball in the 3rd and 4th quarters. It will be a tremendous accomplishment this year if the Bruins make the playoffs after having to fill in all of those holes. It wouldnt surprise me at all.

I really don't think the refs LOST the game for us. I don't think they did a great job though. We did make some big mistakes. The interceptions killed us. I know USJ will be a good team this year, but its just hard to say they will be able to compete with the teams they will be battling in the region.