Maryville QB.

alcoasportsguy22

Who do you think will start this year. Ive herd that its mainly between Hunt and Burrnett.

825690124[/snapback]

Lost potentially there best wide receiver last week. 6'6" Drew Brown tore his MCL - ACL - and cartilage at a baskeball camp. Drew will have to wait 6 weeks for his MCL to heal and then have the surgery on his ACL. No doubt a big blow to the Rebel offense that is replacing 10 starters from last year. The WR position will have tallent but not as much depth as typical.

I see Hunt getting the job early because of his tenure in the GQ "O". He will have to be productive to keep the spot. But I think Burnett has the better tools for the job. I.e. height, build and arm strength. Hunt is faster, but with GQ's scheme that is not a main factor.

Losing Brown is a set back but not one that can't be over come, but I am sorry for the young man and team. I think he is a senior and may just want to forget Football all together and shoot to play Basketball.

IF Coach Ellis get's his normal job done for an effective "O" line, Maryville is looking at another region title and beyond, no matter who is taking the snaps.

thumb

I see Hunt getting the job early because of his tenure in the GQ "O". He will have to be productive to keep the spot. But I think Burnett has the better tools for the job. I.e. height, build and arm strength. Hunt is faster, but with GQ's scheme that is not a main factor.

[

You have a right to state your opinion on the QB situation.....and lord knows you have stated it enough, but there is one word in you comment that I must address.

"tenure" Will have nothing to do with it. Yeah....maybe he knows the offense better at this point but the job it will not be awarded because of tenure.

You have no idea of the 100's of hours he has spent watching film, working on agility which consists of many many hours of strength shoe workouts and speed training at the track by himself at 10:30 in the night at 40 degree temps, the many hours working with his receivers to improve timing, working on patterns, and improving arm strength to the maximum his body will allow, and the many hours of weight training.... all above and beyond the scheduled events that regularly occupy a Rebel's schedule.

In the end the selection will be made on what is best for the team....not tenure.

When you run into him take a moment and ask why he does all this. I think you will be surprised with the answer. Here is a hint......it will have nothing to do with the individual.

Maybe the next time you comment about specific players in a public forum take a minute to carefully select your word choice. Those that you speak of commonly read these forums.

I will give you credit though......your comments have increased the determination and inspiration to be the best possible. Remember....these are kids in an amatuer sports. They do all of this for fun......at least that was the original plan.

Edited by MLREB

catfish hunter

I hope so. Beating Alcoa will be tough. The last few years I knew Maryville would beat Alcoa because Maryville was the better team. This will be Alcoa's best chance to beat Maryville. Maryville will still be a 4A title contender and be hard to beat. Alcoa is that good. Alcoa is a 2A team but if you take any teams top 5 players no one will come close to Alcoa's top 5.

Derek Hunt has worked hard to get better. He has improved his arm strength and increased his speed. I heard Derek runs a 4.75 to 4.8 now. I know Derek is a student of the game and knows Maryville's offense like the back of his hand. I believe Derek can be another Nick Giles. I don't know Brent Burnett as well as I know Derek but I know that Brent has a rocket arm. He has a stronger arm than Cade Thompson. I know that Brent is nearly 6'3 and weighs 190 lbs. Zane Winders is an upcoming freshman who will be good also. With George Quarles coaching these guys the quarterback position will be in fine shape the next few years. George Quarles and the rest of the staff must have had confidence in Derek because they moved Kat Kimsey to linebacker. Kimsey has always been a quarterback.