Info for Oak Ridge fans

WillieTheWildcat

As was mentioned on another tread, an Ooltewah player has verbally committed to South Carolina. Here are some things the Chattanooga paper had to say about this very talented player:

His name is Clark Gaston and he is a 6-3, 238, fullback / defensive end. He played two years at Cleveland HS before transferring down to Riverside Military Academy in Gainesville, GA last season. He registered 11 sacks and 34 tackles for a loss to go along with 98 other stops. On offense he scored 8 TDs and rushed for 300 yards.

He is quoted saying that he feels he can help USC at FB in 2006 so expect to see him leading the way for Caldwell this season.

My guess is this guy grew up dreaming of playing for Coach Monroe at Cleveland so he will be very motivated to do a great job for him at OHS.

~~Go Wildcats!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know technicalities on this type of thing but since he was going to school down in atlanta or wherever that is and he was living on campus does that count as his last address or what? maybe thats how he can go to ooltewah with no restrictions, i dont really care to get into all that stuff b/c at every school there are kids zoned for other schools that go there instead, oh well

I really don't like the idea of a player and parents shopping around for the best program, it's not like Cleveland goes 0-10 every year or something. He has an SEC scholarship, why not go back and play with friends and classmates, help them try to win big instead of going in with a bunch of students and teammates he doesn't even know and will just be in for one year. Another thing, has he registered? The paper said he "plans" to attend Ooltewah, if he's not I don't think he can even talk with a coach from another school about football matters. All that being said, if he plays for Ooltewah they're even more stacked, and I'm glad to see an area player make it to the highest level possible.

Something tells me that the kid is at Ooltewah because of Coach Monroe. Imagine if you were a kid growing up in Cleveland during the 1990s and watching those special Blue Raiders teams play. Wouldn't you want to be a part of that? Or play for the coach who was leading those special teams? Oak Ridge had a player move to Alabama to play with Coach Gaddis so these things do happen.

I don't doubt for a second the kid is a legal Owl player. This just sounds to me that Region 2-5A may have another 2005 All-State player in the league.

~~~Go Wildcats and can't want to see them play Clinton :lol:

Something tells me that the kid is at Ooltewah because of Coach Monroe. Imagine if you were a kid growing up in Cleveland during the 1990s and watching those special Blue Raiders teams play. Wouldn't you want to be a part of that? Or play for the coach who was leading those special teams? Oak Ridge had a player move to Alabama to play with Coach Gaddis so these things do happen.

I don't doubt for a second the kid is a legal Owl player. This just sounds to me that Region 2-5A may have another  2005 All-State player in the league.

~~~Go Wildcats and can't want to see them play Clinton  :lol:

825701528[/snapback]

He would have been 7, 8 at most, when Cleveland last won the state. I doubt he knew who the coach even was at that age.

He would have been 7, 8 at most, when Cleveland last won the state. I doubt he knew who the coach even was at that age.

You would be surprised at what kids remember...I remember watching my brother walk down the steps at Blankenship Field in 1968. After one game he gave me his chin strap. I was five years old.

Here is what Shawn Summers a former Tennessee Vol football player has to say about the steps at Blankenship and the Big Orange T in Neyland Stadium:

From The Oak Ridger by Tatia M. Harris

<<Summers added, "But as great as it was playing for UT, nothing compares to Oak Ridge football. People always ask me, 'What is it like running through the T?' Running through the T was a great experience, but it just can't compare to walking down the steps at Blankenship Field, having those young kids slapping you on your pads and calling your name, feeling the support of the community. The tradition and mystique of Oak Ridge is awesome-walking down those steps-knowing the other team was dreading playing you - It was great." >>

Trust me, in certain cities, kids as young as 5 years old dream of playing at the big school.

That said, my bottom line is, I don't think this is a case of an illegal player. Best of luck Owls.

BTW,

I feel your pain clevelandblueraiderfan. Sounds like this kid would have helped your team on both sides of the ball. You are taking this news with class but it must be hard not to say more. Best of luck to Cleveland!