Region 2- Class A predictions

BrODoGG66

Okay, my picks go like this.

1. Coalfield... They got a taste of success last year and seem VERY driven to go further this year. They aren't ranked number one in the state by Murphy Fair for no reason!

2. Oneida... This could be Coalfield's biggest obstacle because Oneida looks like they're better than last year and that could make for a very interesting battle for the region title.

T3. Midway... have some good running backs coming back but lost a LOT of people. Can they replace their losses efficiently? If so, don't count them out of the title mix... if not, could be a long season South Of the River.

T3. Harriman... They move down to Class A and showed some signs of life last year. They should be even better this year because Coach Tapp knows how to get the most out of his talent. He's the only coach to EVER take Oakdale to the playoffs so a Harriman playoff run is NOT out of the question.

T3. Greenback... They lose a lot of people and had an awkward coaching change a few weeks ago so I think they could contend in most every game, but it'll take a year to get them back in form.

6. Sunbright... They'll be greatly improved and they have enthusiasm back there which they haven't had since the Keith Shannon era. They'll get more wins but a tough region keeps them on the outside looking in.

7. Oakdale... Coach Childers has really gotten the most out of his talent and they are going to have a little more depth this year (which is always an issue in Oakdale) and they'll give 110% out there in every game, but they're probably a year or two away from really making any big noise.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched Greenback practice the other day, and although I hate to admit it, they look about 2 or 3 weeks ahead of last years team. They should win the battle up front with any team out of region 2. The coaching change, in my opinion, only seems to have had a positive effect. Depth might be a question, but at first glance, this team has a lot of guts, and look very poised to win the region title.

Coalfield is going t obe tough this season, with all those 300+ benchers they are most likely the strongest team. Oneida may not have as much strength but they have heart and great coaching, the same thing that has given them chances to win the region every year. Greenback will make the playoffs, don't count them out. They are usually the strongest fastest team in the region minus last year when Coalfield had all that speed. Midway is still going to be good, they are tough and have two pre-season all-staters along with Bray in the backfield. Those are the four I see making the playoffs, not sure of the order. Some people picked the Indians to win it last year and they finished in a tie for third so you never know.

At this point, I lean towards saying that Coalfield is my pick to win the region. But, like Ro, I think that there will be four teams - the traditional four, of course - that will rise above the rest and ANYTHING can happen.

Coalfield has some key holes to fill . . . But we know this about the 'Jackets - they're extremely well coached and they're hands down the strongest team in the region this year. They'll have the ability to wear some people down. And one of the biggest keys for Coalfield, I think, is that Oneida, Greenback and Midway are all at Coalfield. That's huge, IMHO. Ask me next week and maybe I've changed my mind, but right now I gotta say Coalfield.

Oneida also has some key holes to fill. One big difference for the Indians is a completely new coaching staff. But this is a very good coaching staff, and if the Oneida newcomers can step into their roles quickly, Oneida could surprise everyone - Coalfield included. One big key for Oneida, in my opinion, is going to be the way they open the season. You open at Wartburg in Week 0, then go to Coalfield in Week 2, with a should-win against McCreary Co., Kentucky, squeezed in between. Wartburg is a game Oneida should win, but Wartburg IS Wartburg. . . If worst comes to worst and Oneida falls to Wartburg and Coalfield - then there's a very, very tough Williamsburg, KY opponent in Week 3 - and Oneida, what with several newcomers and a new staff, could suffer from a very shaken confidence. On the other hand, if Oneida wins at Coalfield, I think the region is theirs.

Greenback is going to be better than everyone thinks. Because they've lost a few players and Satterfield has bolted for greener pastures, everyone counts out the Cherokees. I wouldn't. They will make the playoffs and could challenge for the region championship.

Midway is also a very good team, with very good coaching. They're going to be right there in the mix, with a very tough road trip to Coalfield and a matchup in the mud at Midway against Oneida that will go a long way towards determining if Midway will be the cream that rises to the top in this region.

Harriman may have the best athletes in the region, but they have the least amount of discipline of any team I've seen besides Taft Youth Center. Harriman can play a spoiler's role in this region, and I wouldn't rule out a playoff appearance for them if the ball bounces their way.

Sunbright could also play a spoiler's role. If they catch one of the top four on an off-night and play their best, they could make things interesting.

Oakdale is Oakdale. They'll remain in the cellar this year.

Why do people insist on saying Harriman has no discipline? Coach Tapp has thrown a lot of players off his team over the past three seasons that were very talented. The reason because they don't represent the team, school and community the way he wants. I've seen him suspend a senior starter for throwing a water bottle during a timeout. Maybe the Blue Devils from years past weren't the most disciplined of teams, but this team doesn't run their mouth, showboat or anything like that. And if they do, you can count on Coach Tapp taking care of that problem.

#1 ONEIDA—New coaches (best staff in region), impact players (lambert, spradlin, lewallen, simon) and the best tradition in East Tn. The line is deep and they are set to win the region.

#2 MIDWAY—They are the premier physical team in region. Big and strong and have lots of athletes back (woody, bray, bredwell).

#3 COALFIELD—Took big hits with gilbert and hensley gone. Should be good up front, just not enough athletes like oneida and midway.

#4 GREENBACK—Finally should be a down year (finishing 4th haha). New coach must replace the austin james gang. No easy task there, yet they will still beat harriman, oakdale and sunbright.

#5 HARRIMAN—Speed, speed and more speed. My reports are they are small and fragile. Good year to move to single a but still cant get in playoffs.

#6 SUNBRIGHT—Who can they beat above them?

#7 OAKDALE—Who can they beat above them?

Really looking for a great year among the usual suspects for the region championship (oneida, midway, coalfield and greenback).

Its hard to assess everyone in the pre-season because everyone is so huddled in their own little part of the Earth, even with scrimmages. So assessing the teams is a crapshoot at best, but I'll say this, the contenders and pretenders will be weeded out by week 2. Since we are so honed in on getting the teams sorted out early I'm going to summarize everyones predictions, as well as make a few points myself! So here goes:

Coalfield and Oneida have certainly drew the most interest so far. I believe that the speed on Coalfield's Team will be down for two reasons - MPG and Hensley. Those two were, argueably, the fastest backs in the conference last season. If the Yellow Jackets have two players with that kind of talent and speed hidden on the team, then this is the year of the Yellow Jacket. Kaz doesn't think they do, but I do think they will field another strong team led by Coach K.

Have to go, but will bring more in a while.

Why do people insist on saying Harriman has no discipline? Coach Tapp has thrown a lot of players off his team over the past three seasons that were very talented. The reason because they don't represent the team, school and community the way he wants. I've seen him suspend a senior starter for throwing a water bottle during a timeout. Maybe the Blue Devils from years past weren't the most disciplined of teams, but this team doesn't run their mouth, showboat or anything like that. And if they do, you can count on Coach Tapp taking care of that problem.

825712136[/snapback]

I don't know about the other people who insist on saying Harriman has no discipline, but to me, there are two different kinds of discipline. When I say Harriman has no discipline, I don't mean that they are on the field shooting off at the mouth, throwing a water bottle or any of that sort of stuff. Rather, they make mistakes that shouldn't be made, pick up dumb penalties at bad times, etc. And that prevents them from being anywhere close to as good as they could be. Look at it this way: Top of the roster to the bottom, Harriman may have more athletic talent than anyone in this district. Yet, barring some upsets along the way, they won't make the playoffs this year. Why?

There's no doubt that Harriman is improving, but they ain't there yet.

I don't know about the other people who insist on saying Harriman has no discipline, but to me, there are two different kinds of discipline. When I say Harriman has no discipline, I don't mean that they are on the field shooting off at the mouth, throwing a water bottle or any of that sort of stuff. Rather, they make mistakes that shouldn't be made, pick up dumb penalties at bad times, etc. And that prevents them from being anywhere close to as good as they could be. Look at it this way: Top of the roster to the bottom, Harriman may have more athletic talent than anyone in this district. Yet, barring some upsets along the way, they won't make the playoffs this year. Why?

There's no doubt that Harriman is improving, but they ain't there yet.

825712420[/snapback]

you are a real expert. newspaper man!LOL

Kaz returns with some more "bits and pieces". Coalfield appears to have faired well in the off-season strength department. Getting pushed around by Boyd Buchanon last year has certainly motivated the Yellow Jacket's weight room habits. How talented the replacements for MPG and Hensley appears to be the key. Remember, if not for the "dazzling" run on fourth down by Gilbert last year, Oneida wins that game. So how are the Indians? They have some legitimate players on the team, but the coaching switch might take a little time.(something the Indians don't have since the Coalfield game is early) I think Lambert's Defense will gell pretty early, but the offense will have to progress quickly for the Indians to contend for the top spot. A steady diet of Lewallen, Lambert (the son), and Simon can eventually open up the Indian's passing attack. I'd expect one or two of the young ones to emerge for Oneida, as they appear to have several talented sophmores and freshman, too. Midway and Greenback, and possibly Harriman, appear to be the next group of contenders. Graduation seem to have cut into the Green Wave and Cherokees roster more than the others. The stability of Midway's Coaching Staff is the reason I have the Green Wave ranked higher. The also appear to have enough leftovers (Woody, Brey) to remain dangerous. The 'Kees are a huge unknown, because no one knows how they are absorbing the departure of key players (James, Way) and Satterfield! The new coach will be a genius if there is no drop off of the Cherokee Nation. Harriman can contend with all these teams on a given night, but have they overcome the stigma of a couple of losing seasons. Will all know soon enough! Sunbright and Oakdale have renewed enthusiam each year, then the season hits. The Tigers have had some bite through the years so don't count them out of an upset!

thumb Kaz thumb

Greenback is running a completely different offense from last year, which, in my eyes, really brings out the best in their roster. They have a pretty meaty senior QB, and two RBs that are both really explosive. I believe the line consists mostly of seniors, I believe a left tackle or guard is the only underclassmen, and he's probably the strongest kid on the team.

I'd say Greenback's only disadvantage is the hit they'll be taking at their secondary. Mostly new kids, one junior returns from last year, but he had 7 picks. With the D-line, no one should have enough time to throw on them.