Riverdale - MBA scrimmage

warriordawg31

I could only stay for the first team part of the scrimmage, but Riverdale was ahead 28-0 at that time. The Warriors are amazingly fast and broke several long runs. MBA moved the ball some, but had real problems with the center sending the ball over the QB's head on 5-6 occasions. MBA could not really get into a rhythm, but they are going to be fine as the season goes on. Two quality programs, and the MBA fans are great.

I hope someone will update how the rest of the scrimmage went.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the scrimmage, I think MBA forgot to get off the bus. Daniel Hightower was really the only guy on D to show up and stick his head into it - he had a handful of TFL's an a pretty nice interception.

The format was 12 plays on O and 12 plays on D, with green jerseys on the quarterback - in addition to the half dozen bad shotgun snaps, Howe got sacked about thirty times. Gaston Miller isn't the only guy the Warriors have in their backfield, #33 was a rock too.

If MBA's going to give Byrnes a run here in a couple of weeks they need to get their act together, Riverdales speed really showed against our guys. While I understand no scouting went into this scrimmage MBA needs to drastically improve. Good luck to the hosts in the upcoming season.

Edited by BamaFaninTN

Yeah, that score is really disappointing.  Good thing they have some time to get ready for Byrnes because they will be at least as good as Riverdale.

825710214[/snapback]

I just don't think you can say for sure that Byrnes will be at least as good as Riverdale. This implies that if MBA kept it close to Byrnes, then they could hang with Riverdale, which was not at all apparent by this Riverdale v MBA scrimmage.

There may be several teams in TN that could beat Byrnes. Riverdale could possibly stomp Byrnes, you just don't know and can't make a broad statement like that.

I hope MBA wins though and I will be at that game cheering them on. I will be busy

Aug 19th DB v Elizabethton (@ Elizabethtom upper East TN)

Aug 20th MBA v Byrnes

Aug 26th Ravenwood v BA

Aug 27th MBA v Trinity

Edited by bud

Bamafan, were those 70-yard scores runs or passes, or both?  How was MBA doing defensively outside of the long scores? 

Any idea who was playing FB, WR, and on the O-line for MBA?

825710218[/snapback]

Riverdale didn't really need to pass the ball, it seemed like they were getting first down yardage every time they ran away from Hightower. Their passing mentality was 'run as fast as you can' by your guy and we'll throw it up - thankfully Little Thomas was inaccurate today because we were burned deep often. Willie Korn's not going to make those mistakes. Eventually, the defense tightened up, but only after givinng up five or six huge runs.

As for the second part of your question, we didn't really use a FB very much today - alot of shotgun and single back. Rob Phipps is the only receiver whose name I know but the other one's had good size and speed (Carney was out with a strained hamstring, Will Turner didn't play either) Our OLine was pretty massive but appeared to be very soft. Our RT is a 6'5 305lb Sophomore, C Rascoe Dean had a tough day, and Billy Billington was pretty solid at LT. Other than that, I'm too far graduated to know names. Once they pull together as a unit Snyder shouldn't have a problem finding holes (they've only been together for a week now and losing guys like Birdsong and Leonard Edwards is always tough). I think we'll come around.

Who started at QB for Riverdale, Locke or Thomas?  And did Locke play any D?

825710232[/snapback]

Thomas started at QB. Locke got a lot of snaps at QB and started at LB on defense.

The final score on the scoreboard was 42-0. I had it at 35-0 but I guess I could have missed something.

Some of the Riverdale kids have really grown....they're a good sized football team now. Not massive on the lines but a lot of big, strong athletic kids.

The center snap problem really plagued MBA early although they seem to settle down later. The MBA defense looked good on the 3rd and 4th Riverdale possesions.

Riverdale's defense looked very fast and strong, especially against the run.