Maryville vs Alcoa - Fottball talk only

drilltheJ

I would like to see a discussion about just football for this game, no trash stuff. I would like to see comments and thoughts on Maryville's defense versus Alcoa's offense. I feel that this will be a tremendous matchup of strength versus strength. Maryville has always been able to stop the run and play two deep. Will they be able to do that against Alcoa? If the safeties have to help in run support, the deep stuff opens up. How should both teams open in terms of agressiveness for these two units?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see a discussion about just football for this game, no trash stuff.  I would like to see comments and thoughts on Maryville's defense versus Alcoa's offense.  I feel that this will be a tremendous matchup of strength versus strength.  Maryville has always been able to stop the run and play two deep.  Will they be able to do that against Alcoa?  If the safeties have to help in run support, the deep stuff opens up.  How should both teams open in terms of agressiveness for these two units?

825725731[/snapback]

I feel like if both teams play their (A) game that, Alcoa gets the win. I don't feel like Maryville can stop the pure God given tallent that Aloca has IMO. GQ is definitely the better coach but that won't beat the speed of Alcoa's play makers on offense and defense. Maryville's Adam Cable is the only DL that really makes a difference and he can't beat Alcoa by himself. With the addition of Shiverdecker (leading rusher in 5A ball last year) to Alcoa's backfield and the power running of Lindsey, Maryville will be exausted by the 4th quarter from chasing these two. Alcoa's Line will win up front as well. Remember I said (A) game so, that means no fumbles. Maryville has plenty of offense as well. I just don't see it being a big factor against the strength and speed of Alcoa's defense. Especially the DE's (bw's backup is good), LB's and DB's. In the past years I have seen Alcoa teams get discourage because of Maryville relentless pounding they been known to dish out. This is not going to be a year where Maryville can pound the rock on Alcoa. I hope the refs. will let them play and show no favoritism. I look forward to seeing a great game and hope both teams can go all the way again.

I feel like if both teams play their (A) game that, Alcoa gets the win. I don't feel like Maryville can stop the pure God given tallent that Aloca has IMO. GQ is definitely the better coach but that won't beat the speed of Alcoa's play makers on offense and defense. Maryville's Adam Cable is the only DL that really makes a difference and he can't beat Alcoa by himself. With the addition of Shiverdecker (leading rusher in 5A ball last year) to Alcoa's backfield and the power running of Lindsey, Maryville will be exausted by the 4th quarter from chasing these two. Alcoa's Line will win up front as well. Remember I said (A) game so, that means no fumbles. Maryville has plenty of offense as well. I just don't see it being a big factor against the strength and speed of Alcoa's defense. Especially the DE's (bw's backup is good), LB's and DB's. In the past years I have seen Alcoa teams get discourage because of Maryville relentless pounding they been known to dish out. This is not going to be a year where Maryville can pound the rock on Alcoa. I hope the refs. will let them play and show no favoritism. I look forward to seeing a great game and hope both teams can go all the way again.

825725844[/snapback]

Your take on Maryville's D-Line is interesting. Coach Quarles has called this as good a group as he has had up there. Gary Tucker was the MVP of the Blue Cross bowl last year and is getting D-1 attention from recruiters. AJ Jackson has had a very good pre season and Josh Smith will also see some action there. He is 230 and benches over 300 pounds. Those four will rotate in and out. We also have three very capable DE's in Voto, Killebrew and Wood. Linebackers are also strong. All of these front seven guys saw plenty of action last year when Melrose was held to 6 points. And even if BW's back up is good how close is he to being as good as BW? Now they can run away from Sykes side more.

825725844[/snapback]

wow !! adam cable is the only difference maker huh ?? ok .... i also loved your reference about the refs ..... unreal .

Your take on Maryville's D-Line is interesting. Coach Quarles has called this as good a group as he has had up there. Gary Tucker  was the MVP of the Blue Cross bowl last year and is getting D-1 attention from recruiters. AJ Jackson has had a very good pre season and Josh Smith will also see some action there. He is 230 and benches over 300 pounds. Those four will rotate in and out. We also have three very capable DE's in Voto, Killebrew and Wood. Linebackers are also strong. All of these front seven guys saw plenty of action last year when Melrose was held to 6 points. And even if BW's back up is good how close is he to being as good as BW? Now they can run away from Sykes side more.

825725910[/snapback]

I didn't say that Maryville had no defensive line. I just think Cable is your guy that that will line up against someone's mother and flatten her. In other words he's not out there to make friends. I think Alcoa will have a tough time with him but, will adjust to rest of Maryville's defensive front. God I can't wait until kickoff!!

wow !! adam cable is the only difference maker huh ?? ok .... i also loved your reference about the refs ..... unreal .

825725911[/snapback]

You said that not me! I know Adam is a man child and is a tough kid. Other wise I think Alcoa matches up well with Maryville's defensive front. About the refs. I grew up in Maryville all my life but went and played at Alcoa High due to family circumstances. However, I played my jr. high ball at Maryville. I know how the refs can be here locally. Especially one that works at a bank. I think you would like to see a fair game called as well. That's all I am stating.

You said that not me! I know Adam is a man child and is a tough kid. Other wise I think Alcoa matches up well with Maryville's defensive front. About the refs. I grew up in Maryville all my life but went and played at Alcoa High due to family circumstances. However, I played my jr. high ball at Maryville. I know how the refs can be here locally. Especially one that works at a bank. I think you would like to see a fair game called as well. That's all I am stating.

825725929[/snapback]

if Alcoa loses , it has to be the refs fault ... right ?? losers blame the refs and make excuses .

The difference is going to be whether Maryville's QB can do something.  Let's just assume Alcoa/Maryville both have good OL/DL and RBs.  Maryville isn't going to win this game by running it 50 times.

825725932[/snapback]

I agree P9. Hunt hasn't really been tested too much. I saw him play several times when he was a freshmen and was very impressed. Friday will be a little different speed for him. On the other hand Alcoa will run it all night long.

The difference is going to be whether Maryville's QB can do something.  Let's just assume Alcoa/Maryville both have good OL/DL and RBs.  Maryville isn't going to win this game by running it 50 times.

825725932[/snapback]

I disagree somewhat p9...guess your used to that. B)

I think if the Rebs have the kind of success they are capable of when running the ball, it could be a low scoring, long nite for Alcoa. The kind of nite that ruins their rythmn, frsutrates them most importantly and controls the clock.

Oh, the Rebs will pass to. Shiver, Neithammer and Maples will be all over the place...Douglas too.

Maryville can throw. They just have to set up the run first. Plus, Alcoa is going to be pretty worried about Maryville's running game. Hunt and Burnett have been impressive, especially Burnett he has a cannon. Maryvilles defense is going to have to play a good game. But, I think in the end it will come down to the 4th quarter and Alcoa is going to be tired because a lot of their players play both ways, and Maryville is going to keep pouring it on.