FOOTBALL IN SMITH COUNTY BETTER OR WORSE?

Eagledriver

As far as Juice running on last years team,he could've.Remember that Fulton passed awhole bunch that game and unfortunately torched SCHS secondary that night,but on the flip side were it not for a few turnovers and dropped passes SCHS could've probably played for the state title.As far as linebackers go don't forget Willie White in 85 who was the most physical,hard hitting linebacker I have ever seen in the high school ranks.Also one other good back at SCHS was in 84,the late Nugee King.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I am a little biased, but I can't see how the teams in the 80's were more athletic. Go back just 3 years to the backfield of Ward, Hackett, and Gibbs, It's hard to beat that athleticism anywhere. I'm not sure about yardage, but I bet Oldsc7 or bigreid could help me out on total rushing yards for hackett and ward. On defense in the past few years you have the Hix brothers who were both outstanding linebackers. Wilmore, IMO, is the toughest player i have seen in an owl uniform. McConnel could turn out to be the best lineman ever to come out of SC. I believe Coach Maynord called Brady the most accurate quarterback he has ever coached last year also. The teams of the past 5 or 6 years are definitely not lacking athleticism.

As far as Juice running on last years team,he could've.Remember that Fulton passed awhole bunch that game and unfortunately torched SCHS secondary that night,but on the flip side were it not for a few turnovers and dropped passes SCHS could've probably played for the state title.As far as linebackers go don't forget Willie White in 85 who was the most physical,hard hitting linebacker I have ever seen in the high school ranks.Also one other good back at SCHS was in 84,the late Nugee King.

825733523[/snapback]

The main reason Fulton passed the ball was because they couldn't run it. If you remember Fulton ran the ball on Greenbrier and didn't have to pass. So Smith Co. D last year was probably one of the best in school history.

Juice didn't have to carry that many times per game as some games he was taken out after accumulating 200 yds. the first half.Also he didn't have to play defense.Someone said he couldn't figure it out which is false.He was protected.Remember back then most every one played both ways not like today,but he could've if need be.

825733503[/snapback]

That's right. He gained 200 yards in a half more than once because the teams they played were pitiful. And no, he couldn't figure out the defensive side, just like he wasn't a good blocker or receiver. He could run the ball as good as anyone I've ever seen in high school except for Travis Stevens. That was it. Have you actually watched those tapes in a long time, because I have and I promise you that times are different and teams are different and those teams, as good as they were, could not beat the teams outside of their lowly district. It didn't matter whether it was Marion or Sequatchie or Sweetwater. They couldn't beat them. They made it past the first round once I think. This group was one of 8 left TWICE in a row and one of 4 last year. Playoffs are still the playoffs. First round is usually easy. After that, you better be bringing something.

That's right. He gained 200 yards in a half more than once because the teams they played were pitiful. And no, he couldn't figure out the defensive side, just like he wasn't a good blocker or receiver. He could run the ball as good as anyone I've ever seen in high school except for Travis Stevens. That was it. Have you actually watched those tapes in a long time, because I have and I promise you that times are different and teams are different and those teams, as good as they were, could not beat the teams outside of their lowly district. It didn't matter whether it was Marion or Sequatchie or Sweetwater. They couldn't beat them. They made it past the first round once I think. This group was one of 8 left TWICE in a row and one of 4 last year. Playoffs are still the playoffs. First round is usually easy. After that, you better be bringing something.

825733909[/snapback]

Did you play with him?If not then you don't know what he could do defensively.As far as blocking,he didn't have to,and the ball wasn't thrown enough to determine his catching ability.

Yes he was.If I were picking the top 3 linebackers to have played at SCHS it would be Willie White, Billy Frank Phillips and Jay Hesson.Also those 3 were the top 3 fullbacks to have played that position as well.

825734261[/snapback]

All were very hard nosed and I couldn't knock any of them. I would still have to put Morgan Hix in that list of LBs. Michael Scott McKinley was very good as well. I did not play with Dirkson but I know the guys who coached him very well. I watched him alot and still watch his films alot, not just highlight films but complete game films. You know what? Those coaches are right. He was avery, very talented runner but that's all he did. There is not a back that, "doesn't have to block", if you have a passing game.

BTW, I agree with your fullbacks too.

I got it. Run a 3-5-3 on defense with those 5 at linebackers. I'll pick 2 of the down people of Rosco Vance and Doug Elliot. I'll pick Ronald Edwards as a corner. You pick the rest.

OL - K.Raney / T

T.Gibbs / G

D. Elliot / C

D. Reid / G

C. McConnell / T

J.P. Tackett / TE

WR - R. Stout, J. Dickerson, Brian Hackett, J. Foster (position change because of athleticism)

RB - "Juice" , S. Ward, D. Butler

FB - B.F. Phillips, W. White, J. Hesson

QB - D. Brady, C. Crowe

Defense L8R

Edited by imallin

All were very hard nosed and I couldn't knock any of them. I would still have to put Morgan Hix in that list of LBs. Michael Scott McKinley was very good as well. I did not play with Dirkson but I know the guys who coached him very well. I watched him alot and still watch his films alot, not just highlight films but complete game films. You know what? Those coaches are right. He was avery, very talented runner but that's all he did. There is not a back that, "doesn't have to block", if you have a passing game.

BTW, I agree with your fullbacks too.

I got it. Run a 3-5-3 on defense with those 5 at linebackers. I'll pick 2 of the down people of Rosco Vance and Doug Elliot. I'll pick Ronald Edwards as a corner. You pick the rest.

825734325[/snapback]

Lou Raney

Brian Hackett

Brett Hackett