Commodores

the prophet

• 2 weeks later...
T-Minus 1 hour 12 minutes to lock... Go Dores!

825736910[/snapback]

I know I'll probably jinx them by posting this--- but-- if they can get by Ole Miss, they'll have to be pretty solid favorites to beat MTSU and Richmand at home--- and if they can stay focused and do that-- then they'll be 5-0! (With a hellacious set of games coming up, but hey, 5-0 is 5-0--- my trivia question is this--- when was the last time Vandy was 5-0? I'm pretty sure I know. Extra credit, what was unusual about the coaching staff of the last 5-0 Vandy team?

my trivia question is this--- when was the last time Vandy was 5-0? I'm pretty sure I know. Extra credit, what was unusual about the coaching staff of the last 5-0 Vandy team?

825750926[/snapback]

How about 1943? VU went 5-0 that season. Not sure about the E.C., although apparently the coach that year (Alley) spent only one year at VU.

I know the 1984 team started out 4-0, including a win at Alabama. Then, Coach MacIntyre decided, for the fifth game against 0-4 Tulane, initially to bench a lot of starters in favor of the Nashville players. VU went on to lose to the Green Wave, finishing out 1-6 for a 5-6 record.

Edited by rollredroll

• 2 weeks later...

How about 1943? VU went 5-0 that season. Not sure about the E.C., although apparently the coach that year (Alley) spent only one year at VU.

I know the 1984 team started out 4-0, including a win at Alabama. Then, Coach MacIntyre decided, for the fifth game against 0-4 Tulane, initially to bench a lot of starters in favor of the Nashville players. VU went on to lose to the Green Wave, finishing out 1-6 for a 5-6 record.

I wasn't counting the war years-- really different schedule in those years--- I was thinking of the 1941 team which went 5-0 before losing to Tulane and which finished 8-2--- the other loss was to Tennessee. One of the Asst Coaches was Paul "Bear" Bryant. Red Sanders was the Head Coach-- he returned in 1946 and had a pretty good run through 1948 before going to UCLA and building a national power. After 1941 Vanderbilt next played an SEC schedule in 1945 with a freshman heavy team that went 3-6. I was at the Tulane game in 1984 and don't recall anything odd about who played--- I do recall 2 or 3 drive killing delay of game penalties when they were slow calling plays from the bench. Vandy dominated the game, they were 4-0, ranked #20, coming off a big win at Alabama--- and after that loss, as you say, the air just went out of them--- Cub and Red Sox fans know nothing of frustration and disappointment compared to Vandy football fans.

• 4 weeks later...