Tennessee vs UAB

timbdp

I have been a Vol fan right at 40 yrs. And every year it's the same ole thing. Big expectations. I have learned not to expect much because the let down is not as bad when the Memphis Sts. or some little team ties or beats you. I guess that goes back to the coaches. They should keep the team up and don't over look no one. I expect Tennessee to come out and give the Gators a good game and hopefully we can squeeze out a win. I have seen some of the best talent in the country year in and out play at UT and so have you. But the job is not getting done. We don't dominate teams like we should. Like the big 3 in Florida do. They absolutely wear teams out. I think it's time for a change. We need some new leadership up on the hill. Sure Fulmer runs a clean program and has one of the best winning per. in the country. But like I said the job is not getting done. If not for November and the 3 easy wins KY- Vandy and Ole Miss his winning per. wouldn't be that great. I would rather play for a national Championship every yr or so like we should do with the talent we have evry year. I guess Fulmer didn't want to scare Florida so he slow the game down against UAB like most good High School coaches do.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, no one has said it yet, so I will be the first to say it this season! We need an OC, I was sitting in my house watching the game on TV and seen several plays we could have run that would have been HR plays! Am I the only one that noticed that we did not have a vertical game? Give me a break, you at least got to throw down field a few times to keep the defense honest! UAB started the game with their safeties playing 12-15 yards off the line, but by the 2nd quarter, UAB was playing every single player within 8 yards of the line of scrimmage and UT has 4 WR that are 6'3 and above that can run in the 4.3 to 4.4 range and UAB didnt not have a starting DB over 6'0, so you have to challenge them! I also noticed a few plays where UAB would stack one side or the other and UT would run right smack dab into the middle of it! I like some of the plays we have where we throw the ball out to the WR and let him do the rest, because in draws the D up to the line of scrimmage, but what is the point in doing that if you are not going to throw the ball deep? I know at Tennessee we have a rich tradition in running the ball and controlling the clock, and I love that but you have to at least attempt a long pass to keep the defense honest and UT didnt do that and if you noticed, the few big plays we did have was underneath crossing routes and the WR were fast enough to get by the safety and force a CB to come and make the tackle! My whole point is that Riggs had a huge first quarter when the Defense was respecting UT's passing game, but then once they realized we wasnt even gonna try to burn them deep, everyone just stepped up and stopped the run and contained the short passes!

On defense, I was very impressed with the way we put a clamp on there run game(23 rushes-53 yards), but we have to be able to contain a mobile QB, because Hackney was gettting out of the pocket and buying time for a receiver to get open and most of the time they did and we cant afford to be giving up 282 yards a game passing, and the DB's didnt play that bad, we have just got to be able to get to the QB, it seemed like Hackney was having all day to pass the ball!

But I do try to look at the bright side, it seems that the past two season we have came out very sloppy, then when we play Florida, it looks like a whole new ball team and a whole new game plan! I am starting to wonder if Fulmer isnt holding back a little bit, not wanting to show Florida to much before they play? :thumb:

825743386[/snapback]

Cutcliffe is living in Knoxville now.......and I do agree with your assessment. I noticed the same things about the safties and our run game. I wish I had an answer.

However, I do love this. Teams have bad games occasionally. Occasionally those times also happens when other teams play good games. UAB ain't that bad and we played average. I was at the game, and I never for the first time thought the game was out of our control. Even at the end of the game, I never thought we would lose. There are a few little thing that need to be tweaked, and we will be fine. Quite honestly, the final should have been about 27-3, but it wasn't, we won, so quit worrying, complaining, and let's move on.

I heard Doug Matthews say on George Plaster in Nashville on my way up to Knoxville that if he had it to do over again, he would savor every win regardless of the opponent and never take one for granted. Sounded like pretty good advice, and as a fan, that's how I'm going to start looking at it. I suggest all of you do the same! :P

Edited by Solomon

I disagree about needing a new OC. I have complained for the last several years that UT needed a new OC but I thought Randy Sanders did a great job last year with two Freshmen QB's and then again with Clausen in the SECC game and the Cotton Bowl.

I thought he done very good saturday they tried to stretch the field several times once Ainge over throwed the reciever and it was pciked off. Clausen hit Fayton down the sideline toward the end of the game. One other thing to keep in mind Robert Meachem UT's fastest deep threat went out of the game with a injury.

One other thing Tennessee wanted to use as little of the playbook than what was necessary to win. If you read my post above I stated had it not been for little things that caused some problems such as dropped passes. Two over throws one of which looked like it just slipped out of his hands and it sailed on him. A batted ball that lead to a pick inside the 20 this game would have been a blowout.

One other thing Tennessee wanted to use as little of the playbook than what was necessary to win.  If you read my post above I stated had it not been for little things that caused some problems such as dropped passes.  Two over throws one of which looked like it just slipped out of his hands and it sailed on him.  A batted ball that lead to a pick inside the 20 this game would have been a blowout.

825743710[/snapback]

Sure thats what I am saying and alot of our mistakes was because UAB knew what was coming, because the offensive playing calling was way to conservative! There is no reason with the WR we have that would shouldnt be able to throw the ball around like Louisville does and with our RB, we should be able to be stopped! Pure and simple if UT plans on beating Florida, we have to open up the playbook alittle! When you let teams hang around like we did UAB eventually it will bite you in the butt! UAB has a very good team, but UT should have beat them by 4 TD!

wasn't impressive but it is in the left hand column. THe next 2 games will tell more what kind of season to expect.Win both of those and although many tough games left, you can get a little excited. Split them, esp if win is vs Fla, still hope for SECC and faint NC hopes. Lose both and are playing for a second tier bowl game and probably out of SEc race. Life's tough in the SEC. Too many mine fields to expect an undefeated season, but can still hope. Take em 1 at a time. I'll take 12 more unimpressive victories, just keep putting them in left hand column.

wasn't impressive but it is in the left hand column.  THe next 2 games will tell more what kind of season to expect.Win both of those and although many tough games left, you can get a little excited.  Split them, esp if win is vs Fla, still hope for SECC and faint NC hopes.  Lose both and are playing for a second tier bowl game and probably out of SEc race.  Life's tough in the SEC.  Too many mine fields to expect an undefeated season, but can still hope.  Take em 1 at a time.  I'll take 12 more unimpressive victories, just keep putting them in left hand column.

825747782[/snapback]

If we can win the next 2 I think we can certainly start talking about the SEC Championship Game! But Bama does scare me and South Carolina proved sat that they can play with the best of them!

If we can win the next 2 I think we can certainly start talking about the SEC Championship Game! But Bama does scare me and South Carolina proved sat that they can play with the best of them!

825747992[/snapback]

They all scare me. Even Vandy and KY show signs of life--Vandy at 2-0 and KY playing Louisville close. 1 at a time, beat them Gators

OK, no one has said it yet, so I will be the first to say it this season! We need an OC, I was sitting in my house watching the game on TV and seen several plays we could have run that would have been HR plays! Am I the only one that noticed that we did not have a vertical game? Give me a break, you at least got to throw down field a few times to keep the defense honest! UAB started the game with their safeties playing 12-15 yards off the line, but by the 2nd quarter, UAB was playing every single player within 8 yards of the line of scrimmage and UT has 4 WR that are 6'3 and above that can run in the 4.3 to 4.4 range and UAB didnt not have a starting DB over 6'0, so you have to challenge them! I also noticed a few plays where UAB would stack one side or the other and UT would run right smack dab into the middle of it! I like some of the plays we have where we throw the ball out to the WR and let him do the rest, because in draws the D up to the line of scrimmage, but what is the point in doing that if you are not going to throw the ball deep? I know at Tennessee we have a rich tradition in running the ball and controlling the clock, and I love that but you have to at least attempt a long pass to keep the defense honest and UT didnt do that and if you noticed, the few big plays we did have was underneath crossing routes and the WR were fast enough to get by the safety and force a CB to come and make the tackle! My whole point is that Riggs had a huge first quarter when the Defense was respecting UT's passing game, but then once they realized we wasnt even gonna try to burn them deep, everyone just stepped up and stopped the run and contained the short passes!

On defense, I was very impressed with the way we put a clamp on there run game(23 rushes-53 yards), but we have to be able to contain a mobile QB, because Hackney was gettting out of the pocket and buying time for a receiver to get open and most of the time they did and we cant afford to be giving up 282 yards a game passing, and the DB's didnt play that bad, we have just got to be able to get to the QB, it seemed like Hackney was having all day to pass the ball!

But I do try to look at the bright side, it seems that the past two season we have came out very sloppy, then when we play Florida, it looks like a whole new ball team and a whole new game plan! I am starting to wonder if Fulmer isnt holding back a little bit, not wanting to show Florida to much before they play? :blink:

825743386[/snapback]

Can I please get some people on the bandwagon now? Sanders is officially the worst OC in the nation! Please tell me how in the world you take the talent Sanders has and only put up 7 points? I have been in favor of firing Sanders for 2 years and I am in Favor of it now! Sanders has called one good game in 2 years and that was aginst Michigan in the Citrus Bowl, besides that he has stunk, win or lose! Had Cutcliffe been the OC against UF do you think we would have lost? NO! We need a gutsy OC and Sanders doesnt have it! Come on guys get on the bandwagon, we would be better without Sanders, he is just like Johnny Majors! TOO CONSERVATIVE! Give me Cutcliffe or Bust!

Can I please get some people on the bandwagon now? Sanders is officially the worst OC in the nation! Please tell me how in the world you take the talent Sanders has and only put up 7 points? I have been in favor of firing Sanders for 2 years and I am in Favor of it now! Sanders has called one good game in 2 years and that was aginst Michigan in the Citrus Bowl, besides that he has stunk, win or lose! Had Cutcliffe been the OC against UF do you think we would have lost? NO! We need a gutsy OC and Sanders doesnt have it! Come on guys get on the bandwagon, we would be better without Sanders, he is just like Johnny Majors! TOO CONSERVATIVE! Give me Cutcliffe or Bust!

825754872[/snapback]

At Tennessee, there are some things you can always rely on........

Sanders will always be a wannabe.

Tennessee is as predictable as the sun as long as he is there.

Fulmer's dedication to his coaching staff, whether they are good or bad will be the reason for his demise.

Tennessee could very well have a four loss season this year.............what a waste :blink: