should coach play parents or the talent?

cutecommish21

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think. Should the coach play the parents or the talent ? Does this happen in your town ?

825740525[/snapback]

Coaches in 99.9% of all cases play talent over parents, coaches are cpompetitors and will not sacrifice winning because of some parent. Oh I know there are lots of players and parents out there in which that is a handy excuse, and that is all it is, we are not talking about summer league baseball here where 3 or 4 daddies are in charge. It is tough as a parent not to be biased toward your child, and you should as a parent support your child, but where making excuses hurts is in talking bad or negatively about another player or even that players parents, If one was a true fan of the game and not just a fan of their children, these issues would not arise, how about treating every child on the team as your and be happy when the ones that play get too. I have seen coach after coach fired for not winning, coaches try to win.

There are some case in which talent sits by because of poor work ethic, or attitudes or behavior. There are talented young men on all teams that may never see the field, for many reasons this occurs, because of someones parents is not one of those reasons.

I have been in education and coaching for fourteen years. Not once have I or any person I have ever worked with ever played anyone because of who their parents were. Football is a tough game for tough people. The tough ones play and the soft ones only play when there are no tough ones left or the game is out of hand either way. Get Real. Your question is tremendously stupid.

I have been in education and coaching for fourteen years. Not once have I or any person I have ever worked with ever played anyone because of who their parents were.  Football is a tough game for tough people.  The tough ones play and the soft ones only play when there are no tough ones left or the game is out of hand either way.  Get Real.  Your question is tremendously stupid.

825740564[/snapback]

I don't think the question is stupid. I think it is rare that it would happen, but when talent is close to even and a booster's son is in the running you would be naive to believe it wouldn't play a role in the decision at some schools where money for funding is an issue.

I don't think that any sincere question is stupid.

I don't know where you live, but politics always

plays a role in sports in some way or another.

It CAN matter who you are, what church you go to,

whether or not a player has a parent that is a teacher,

works in the central office, or is buds with the coach.

Yes, talent matters BIG time, but other things factor in.

Just my opinion....

:)

I have been in education and coaching for fourteen years. Not once have I or any person I have ever worked with ever played anyone because of who their parents were.  Football is a tough game for tough people.  The tough ones play and the soft ones only play when there are no tough ones left or the game is out of hand either way.  Get Real.  Your question is tremendously stupid.

825740564[/snapback]

You get real it happen it more important to win over the parents than to win game. This may not happen in your town but in our it's been this way for years. Thanks for calling me stupid you dont know me.

Actually, I think cutecommish21 IS the son.  :)

Many times it is easier for people to make excuses as to why they, or their children, aren't getting playing time. But when the truth is know, it's like prophet said, a lack of work ethic in practice, bad attitude or just down-right laziness is the real reason. Even in small programs where boosters play a huge role, I don't see too many coaches willing to sacrifice wins for favoritism.

Sometimes the less tallented player gets the playing time but its not because of parents, it has more to do with the individual players and efforts put forth.

Unfortunately, one of the negatives to come out of little league/summer league/recreational sports is the amount of influence parents have over the programs. When their children get into HS sports, many still try to throw their weight around and when they don't get their way, they become big cry babies about it.

I will say this, if a coach is playing people because of who their parents are instead of athletic ability, he isn't much of a coach and will not have a job for very long. In HS sports, you can't please all of the people all of the time, but you had better win some games and please the administration.

825740587[/snapback]

My child does play. He has equal talent as everyone else. I just believe that politics should not play a role. You should teach our child how to play the game and good sportsmanship. What are we actually teaching them that I can buy your way. As to you comment on the cutecommish being a son. No but I have 2 great sons.

Coaches in 99.9% of all cases play talent over parents,  coaches are cpompetitors and will not sacrifice winning because of some parent.  Oh I know there are lots of players and parents out there in which that is a handy excuse,  and that is all it is, we are not talking about summer league baseball here where 3 or 4 daddies are in charge.  It is tough as a parent not to be biased toward your child, and you should as a parent support your child, but where making excuses hurts is in talking bad or negatively about another player or even that players parents,  If one was  a true fan of the game and not just a fan of their children, these issues would not arise,  how about treating every child on the team as your and be happy when the ones that play get too.  I have seen coach after coach fired for not winning, coaches try to win.

There are some case in which talent sits by because of poor work ethic, or attitudes or behavior.  There are talented young men on all teams that may never see the field, for many reasons this occurs,  because of someones parents is not one of those reasons.

825740552[/snapback]

What you say is true. But there are some very talented kids out there that are not given the chance to showcase their talents. Why would you play someone that constantly makes mistakes and mot correct them. These kids will be in shock when and if they make it in college were you are either a player or you get left behind. Show our kids the they can play on a college level someday. But teaching them that they need to earn a spot don't give it to them.

825740564[/snapback]

Wow, your answer was tremendously naive. Maybe at your place that is the case, but everywhere, some players play because the parents give money or a lot of time to the program. It's just fact.

My biggest gripe is the idea that a kid should start/play simply because he is a senior. THis makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. The best player should be on the field. Period.