should coach play parents or the talent?

cutecommish21

Eddie, I know that Wally and The Beave's parents would never let them think they are better than they are and deserve more playing time than they get. No, June Cleaver keeps it real. June would be supportive of the role they played and would expect the highest effort out of Wally and The Beave no matter what that role may be. :D Yes, I know youth football is on Saturdays. You see, the topic was about high school football as you may since this website is about nothing but high school football. My example of coaches playing talent and not parents or politics came from youth sports, where all this tom foolery with parents begin. My point is... 9 times out of 10 the upset parent's child doesn't play because he/she is simply not the best player to have on the field. The 1 time out of 10 is a coach that will soon be fired. Eddie, give Ward, June, Wally and The Beave my best! :D

Now that is a clever post!!!!! I can't imagine anyone coming up with Wally and the Beave. How did you ever think of that?!!! Where do your stats come from to support your nine times out of ten theory. I could just as easily say it is the other way, we both have equal backing for our statement- none. People just can't admit that they don't know everythiong and that parents know more than you think. I think a great idea would be to let parents have input in all parts of football coaching. After all parents have coached them since they were born, why quit when they get to high school. A good coach would get more parent input as opposed to less. A great idea would be if all parents payed $10 to call a play in a particular game. They would hold a raffle and the winning "coach" would get to stand on the sidelines with the team and call a play on the first series. If the play failed he would have to back to his seat but if it succeeded he would be in a drawing to be co-offensive coordinator the next year. This would increase parental involvement and show them how "difficult it is to be a coach. Proceeds could be used to purchase new band equipment or cigarettes for the bowling team!!! Everyone wins in this scenario!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now there's a great idea Eddie. I'll take the $10 for the suggestions and buy new equipment for the team! You're a genius! What a fund raising idea. How much money could have been generated by each of us that have coached from Pee Wee on up if we'd only charged for the privilege? I'd guess we'd be talking 5 figures at least.

It can be just as stressful for the parents of gifted athletes. They have youth league coaches latching onto them for their services and putting them on a pedestal while sitting in the stands and listening to the other parents gripe about how little playing time their kid gets or why he never gets the ball. Some of these parents practically cheer against the kid on their team that is the playmaker. Jealously is the root of all evil and it's no walk in the park for parents of the starters that are subjected to whining and complaining in the stands every week from parents of the non starters. Now I know why the coaches stay on the field until everyone leaves or head for their vehicle as soon as they can make a break.......

I know where I live everyone will say "Oh it's the talent they play" but you couldn't prove that by me. My sons used to play Middle school but quit because they got tired of standing on the sidelines let alone they hit harder than the kids they were playing. My one son could knock their "star" player on his butt but he was still sidelined because he didn't have certain parents.

I know where I live everyone will say "Oh it's the talent they play" but you couldn't prove that by me. My sons used to play Middle school but quit because they got tired of standing on the sidelines let alone they hit harder than the kids they were playing. My one son could knock their "star" player on his butt but he was still sidelined because he didn't have certain parents.

This is not a jealous statement? It sure sounds like one. While there might be the odd coach that succombs to irate parents........I haven't seen it at the high school level. The thing that most coaches have in common is a competitive spirit and the desire to win.

No it's not a jealous statement at all. It's a statement on the injustice that sometimes happens. There are certain coaches out there that do that and I'm not at all saying they all do that by no means. I was stating my experience with it and the way it seems around where I live. By no means is it a jealousy thing, but what does that teach the kids when the coaches do things like that? That's what irritates me.

Most parents view their children through rose colored glasses. As an example, if your kid is the hardest hitter on the team between the cones on the practice field but can't catch up with the tailback to lay a hit on him and is too small to be on the D-line, then his ability to hit harder than anyone else on the team doesn't exactly do anything for the team. Having a strong armed quarterback that can't think on his feet and is not accurate with his passes is not a better QB. He just has a stronger arm. If playing time is not earned by each member on the team, the other members of the team will let the coach know by their performance on the practice field and in games and the coach won't stick around very long. All of this sounds like sour grapes to me.

What year did your kids quit? Did they make it to atleast their 10th grade year? Ive personaly seen many "studs" in middle school never make it in highschool because 1. Playing against better competition 2. Parents let them quit before they have a chance to even learn the system and earn a right to play. The easy scape goat for this is always "politics".

As for the parents who have the kid who can knock the "star" player on his butt (not only talking about you here) many times the parent only sees that play in practice but in between plays while your talking to your friends, you never see the coach have to line your son up in the right spot everytime, or see the coach explain to him that even though that was a great hit, he was susposed to be running somewhere else and that if he hadnt made that great hit it would have been a touchdown because he screwed up.

Having coached a little myself i can say that as many posters on here have. Great talent doesnt always play and may give the appearance of favoratism but almost always its for reasons like i just mentioned. If I could just walk onto the field with your great sons and say "line up here and when you get the ball run here" then like in little league and middle school, "everyone could play"

What do you think. Should the coach play the parents or the talent ? Does this happen in your town ?

We do not get this all to much at Ezell-Harding but I know of some places where it does happen. I think sometimes as a coach you want to stick the parent out there just to let daddy relive his glory or lack there of days. The parents should just enjoy watching their kids play the game they love. Or maybe set up a section for them somewhere with a closed circuit TV so that you do not have to hear them. Just my feeling on the matter but what do I know.

Doesn't sound like a jealous statement to me;I too live in a town that 80% of the time the players on the field are the ones that the parents give generous donation's to the QB club or maybe their parents stay at the fieldhouse 24/7 and are at the coaches beck and call. We too have GREAT players that fail to get the playing time they deserve or to play both ways when they are capable. This is one of my biggest things I harp on when I post on Coacht. Doesn't do any good though,never will until maybe we get a whole new coaching staff that hasn't been there since Jesus was a baby.Way to go last night against the Rebel's. You showed much poise and respect to the opposing team on the field after the game-class act Huntingdon!

Doesn't sound like a jealous statement to me;I too live in a town that 80% of the time the players on the field are the ones that the parents give generous donation's to the QB club or maybe their parents stay at the fieldhouse 24/7 and are at the coaches beck and call. We too have GREAT players that fail to get the playing time they deserve or to play both ways when they are capable. This is one of my biggest things I harp on when I post on Coacht. Doesn't do any good though,never will until maybe we get a whole new coaching staff theat hasn't been there since Jesus was a baby.Way to go last night against the Rebel's. You showed much poise and respect to the opposing team-class act Huntingdon!

Guess it is working though:two years in a row we have had a trip to the "Boro."Can't complain about that.

Edited by satamqb

After a 12 year middle school and high school stint as a coach, I left the profession for a new career. As a coach, my number one objective was to win. I made playing time decisions on a variety of factors including talent, specialized skills, attitude, heart, toughness, etc. Occasionally, when a game or season was lost I might play some less talented kids to prepare for the next game or season. I cut or benched school board members kids, principals kids, and wealthy powerful boosters kids. I am sure I also made some playing time mistakes when players were close in ability. However, I felt every decision I made was to win. Looking back, I can say that many parents would rather have their kid play on a losing team than sit the bench on a winning one. The real problem I faced was principals and administrators who catered to the influence of wealthy and powerful parents/boosters. These administrators just wanted to keep the "powers that be" happy and would not back or support a coach trying to put the best players on the field and win. I loved the kids and most of the parents were great. but I will not miss the political games of the big dog parents and the weak administrators.

If a coach plays someone for political or personal reasons, it can be bad for this

"chosen player." I have been made aware of such a situation that's going on right now. A 7th grader is "starting" ahead of several 8th grade players. The 8th graders are actually better than this 7th grader, NO QUESTION. Also,the 8th graders grades, conduct, and effort are as good or better.

In addition, the 7th grader CRIES DURING the game at almost every game.

(They are not even injured.)

I would not start a player that cries every game.

Anyway, this cannot be good for this 7th grader. The 8th graders will get over their hurt feelings, but the 7th grader has to suffer humiliation.

Just my opinion......