Big Games in Memphis, Week 3

kwc

Another w/e with exciting games in the Memphis area. Melrose vs CBHS (Did my eyes read the schedule correctly? ... CBHS and their contengent are going INTO ORANGE MOUND? ... WHAT!!!!! ... I think I read and re-read the schedule several times!) What can you say ... Germantown vs South Panola (MS). Go get'em Red Devils! Bolton vs Collierville ... one team gets to redeem themselves. Houston vs Cordova ... another bragging rights game ... boy Cordova needs a win ... BADLY! Then there is MUS vs ECS. This one could be very interesting.

Since my Whitehaven team is playing Treazvent ... and I'm expecting them to win this game ... I'm going to go to Orange Mound and watch the CBHS vs Melrose match-up. Both teams have very good defenses. I'm curious to see if CBHS stacks the box to slow Cooper down and dare Melrose to throw. I'm anxious to see Mosby and the CBHS LB corp try and handle Mr. Cooper. I'm sure the CBHS staff is going to run right at Melrose, but I think they will find that difficult. I think this is going to be a low scoring game with Melrose winning by a TD or less, if their passing game hasn't improved. If Monte Wilson has knocked off some rust ... hmmmmm. I'm looking forward to a good game. WOW ... CBHS going to Melrose ... will miracles never cease!

k

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another w/e with exciting games in the Memphis area. Melrose vs CBHS (Did my eyes read the schedule correctly? ... CBHS and their contengent are going INTO ORANGE MOUND? ... WHAT!!!!! ... I think I read and re-read the schedule several times!) What can you say ... Germantown vs South Panola (MS). Go get'em Red Devils! Bolton vs Collierville ... one team gets to redeem themselves. Houston vs Cordova ... another bragging rights game ... boy Cordova needs a win ... BADLY! Then there is MUS vs ECS. This one could be very interesting.

Since my Whitehaven team is playing Treazvent ... and I'm expecting them to win this game ... I'm going to go to Orange Mound and watch the CBHS vs Melrose match-up. Both teams have very good defenses. I'm curious to see if CBHS stacks the box to slow Cooper down and dare Melrose to throw. I'm anxious to see Mosby and the CBHS LB corp try and handle Mr. Cooper. I'm sure the CBHS staff is going to run right at Melrose, but I think they will find that difficult. I think this is going to be a low scoring game with Melrose winning by a TD or less, if their passing game hasn't improved. If Monte Wilson has knocked off some rust ... hmmmmm. I'm looking forward to a good game. WOW ... CBHS going to Melrose ... will miracles never cease!

k

825740835[/snapback]

The Melrose CBHS clash is great and I am glad that it has picked back up. The first true City title game that included all teams reagardless of race was between these teams. The rivalry dates back iover 35 years and has had some great games.

There is a rumor that CBHS has picked up 3 D1 guys from La. I don't know how true it is or if they would play.

The stadium will be filled to the rafters for our first home game of the year. Hopefully the passing game will get on track and Melrose can keep the Brothers honest.

Well ...since I bleed maroon with specks of gold, I am going with Melrose in another close defensive struggle.

OMW

Even if we go to State, I can't think of a more anticipated and fun match-up for CBHS. Yeah Panolas coming but this is going to be a much better show.

As for predictions.....hum.......CBHS second string defense has been on the field more than than the first string due to blowouts the last 2 games but predict we are going to get a good work out this go round. I've heard great things about Melroses D and from one of their coaches who was scouting the Father Ryan game, he thinks we're running small on the defensive line. Could this be a anticipation of having to go to the ground or wishful thinking since Melrose hasn't developed a passing threat? I don't know. I'm sure the coaching staff as well as the team as a whole got a chance to scout us from the Time Warner game of the week this past Saturday and Sunday and will be well prepared.

As for CBHS, our offense has been an unknown quantity the past couple of seasons at this point. Its ususally takens us through the latter half of the season irregardless of the oppenents quality to put up these kind of numbers. The offense has balanced its attack evenly ground vs air, everyones healthy and we have 3 really good quarterbacks and 3 quality running backs in rotation. Harrison is not going to have to do all of the heavy lifting this year.

I'm going to get there early to get a turkey leg and smoked sausage.

I'll have to get with you on the transfers....

Go Brothers!!!!!!

I think CBHS beats Melrose by at least 7, probably more.  And Germantown is gonna get crushed, unfortunately.

825740949[/snapback]

Melrose gets beat by 7, probably more huh? Wow! ... In Orange Mound at their first home game of the season against that defense? I don't think so ... but that's why they play the games.

Who's goin to the Germantown/South Panola game? Where are you Red Devil fans? Big Sneaky? I don't think it's going to be a blowout. Being a Whitehaven man myself ... I think G-town represents. What do you guys think?

Any ECS and MUS fans in the house? This is going to be a good game? I'm picking MUS only because they are the favorites to win it. ECS has a stout team ... but I don't know enough. Who's going to this game? What do you guys think?

This week is gonna be a tough one for Germantown...rarely are the Red Devils the smaller team on the field. South Panola has a combination of size and speed that you just dont see that often in Tennessee. I hope for a win but realistically I think SP wins by a fare margin...win or lose this game will help Germantown in the weeks to come.

Melrose gets beat by 7, probably more huh? Wow! ... In Orange Mound at their first home game of the season against that defense? I don't think so ... but that's why they play the games.

Who's goin to the Germantown/South Panola game? Where are you Red Devil fans? Big Sneaky? I don't think it's going to be a blowout. Being a Whitehaven man myself  ... I think G-town represents. What do you guys think?

Any

Melrose will win 13-10.

CBHS will score a TD, primarily, due to the great field position that Melrose's penalties and erratic kicking game will "gift" CBHS...Melrose will still win.

Germantown will lose 28-17.

I know NOTHING about S. Panola, except that they're a perennial Mississippi HS Champion/powerhouse! They seem to be off to a great start, this year, also. If they do NOT have a decent passing game, its margin of victory will be only 3 to 7 points. I speculate they'll win, simply because they have not lost a game in over two years (from what I've read, somewhere), and Germantown's pass-defense is very WEAK.

Germantown is a tough team (they SHOULD be 2-0, not 1-1), a great PROGRAM. They RARELY ever get blown out (11pts is NOT a blowout, in my view). I don't think this game will be any different, especially since the game is on its own turf. Their RUN defense is EXCELLENT, but the pass defense is....well, MEDIOCRE.

Germantown is gonna be FIRED UP for this game, like a team with something to prove (and they DO...)! If they can get that smash-mouth ground game going, and not give up too many big PASS plays... look out S. Panola. An upset could be brewing!

MUS will beat ECS 35-14.

MUS is the defending D2-AAA champ and playing GREAT football, on both sides of the ball....I just don't see a D2-AA team beating them.

I want to see S. Panola play, but the CBHS/Melrose matchup offers more intrigue. So, I'll likely go to the 'Mound.

Edited by TraderB

When I was at the JCM/Germantown about 4 of Panola`s players were there on the JCM side and let me tell ya...They was some BIG OL BOYS!!!!!! Wow! And I`m not talking about those "look at me I just ate the whole buffet and can`t see my toes" big boys. These guys were the "I hope my shoulders can fit through this door and opps I better duck my head too" kind. Good luck to germantown. Hope you guys can represent.

Man I`d love to see the the CBHS/Melrose game. I enjoyed my trip to the mound last fall. If that`s how all the games are there, then get the word out that Orange Mound has been getting a bad rap. I can relate to that though cause The Rock gets one too.

kwc...how has Trezevent done this year? We play them in a few weeks. Thanks

When I was at the JCM/Germantown about 4 of Panola`s players were there on the JCM side and let me tell ya...They was some BIG OL BOYS!!!!!! Wow!  And I`m not talking about those "look at me I just ate the whole buffet and can`t see my toes" big boys. These guys were the "I hope my shoulders can fit through this door and opps I better duck my head too" kind. Good luck to germantown. Hope you guys can represent.

Man I`d love to see the the CBHS/Melrose game. I enjoyed my trip to the mound last fall. If that`s how all the games are there, then get the word out that Orange Mound has been getting a bad rap. I can relate to that though cause The Rock gets one too.

825742542[/snapback]

VG:

Treazevant seems to be a program on the rise. In 2002 ... they won only one game, and that was against the perineial doormat of Memphis ... Memphis Southside. Last year they went 5-5 and lost in the first round of the playoffs. This year, Trezevant is currently 2-0. They've beat Hernando, MS and Sheffield. Strangely enough ... Sheffield, which is a middle of the road 3A team, has it's only victory out of three games against Haywood. (If I am to belive the schedule at this web site) Go figure. Anyway ... I think they will be overmatched playing a good 5A team in Whitehaven. I think JCM beats them as well.

Here is their schedule:

http://www.coacht.com/inside/schedule.cfm?...D=1&SeasonID=41

Edited by kwc

I know South Panola very well. They have the 2 best coaches in the State of Mississippi. Yes 2!!! Head Coach Ricky Woods only deals with offense. If you are at the game Friday, watch him just coach the offense. Coach Willis Wright, just coaches the defense. He was the head coach in 1993 that went 15-0 and won South Panola's first title. He retired, and is back to coaching only at the school. He(Wright) also has won a state title in 4A Starkville and 5A Greenville, AL and 2A North Delta Academy (4 state titles and many runnerup) Coach Woods won 2 titles at 2A Ackerman and now 2 at South Panola and many runnerups. They also have a tremendous strength and conditioning program. I think Volunteer could tell you that. These coaches make great "in game" adjustments. It sure is nice when a head coach doesn't even have to watch the defense work. I'll be there Friday. Go Tigers!!!

When I was at the JCM/Germantown about 4 of Panola`s players were there on the JCM side and let me tell ya...They was some BIG OL BOYS!!!!!! Wow!  And I`m not talking about those "look at me I just ate the whole buffet and can`t see my toes" big boys. These guys were the "I hope my shoulders can fit through this door and opps I better duck my head too" kind. Good luck to germantown. Hope you guys can represent.

825742542[/snapback]

One other game we did not talk about is the Mitchell vs. Carver. Both have lost this year but to higher classifications. This should be a good 2A matchup with the winner having a hold on the region title.