Best Keeper in state

mac9ky

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a keeper who has started since her 8th grade year and she is in the 10th right now. She has some awesome saves. She's from Pulaski, Tn. She goes to Richland High School. Her and Her team was district 12A/AA 2003 and 2004 champions and this year they got second in district to Columbia Acadamy. I have to say if this girl keeps it up they'll be awesome for the next 2 years.

GO RICHLAND RAIDERS

Any comments on this topic?

There are some great keepers mentioned here. There are great keepers that play in front of great defenses, and then there are those that get shot at from every direction and take it very heavily on their sholders without a front defense to screen them. I don't put ODP as the final judgement, for a multitude of reasons, in fact I think of it as a none factor. I've seen several of the keepers mentioned here and they are all good. I would also say that I have seen some, not mentioned here, that are remarkable and potentially all-state material. Personally, of the ones I have seen, I have a great deal of respect for the way Tessa Williams plays for Centenial. Her courage and tenacity are only two of her great qualities. There are bigger, and probably faster keepers, but she has range, she will challenge any player, she readily gives up her body to stop the play, she has a good grasp of when to come out and when to lay back, and she does a good job of directing the defense in front of her. If she was a few inches taller I think the colleges would be all over her, but if they are smart someone will grab her...she can play in college., and she'll give it everything she has.

Edited by flashgordon

There are some great keepers mentioned here. There are great keepers that play in front of great defenses, and then there are those that get shot at from every direction and take it very heavily on their sholders without a front defense to screen them. I don't put ODP as the final judgement, for a multitude of reasons, in fact I think of it as a none factor. I've seen several of the keepers mentioned here and they are all good. I would also say that I have seen some, not mentioned here, that are remarkable and potentially all-state material. Personally, of the ones I have seen, I have a great deal of respect for the way Tessa Williams plays for Centenial. Her courage and tenacity are only two of her great qualities. There are bigger, and probably faster keepers, but she has range, she will challenge any player, she readily gives up her body to stop the play, she has a good grasp of when to come out and when to lay back, and she does a good job of directing the defense in front of her. If she was a few inches taller I think the colleges would be all over her, but if they are smart someone will grab her...she can play in college., and she'll give it everything she has.

:P I'm sure you are correct. I'm sure no college coaches care about ODP. Even though this is their regular season, I'm sure they are coming out watching high school games.

A great way to be seen is not in high school or necessarily ODP. I think travel soccer gives you an edge over those keepers who don't play. You are seen more often and playing at high levels in travel shows them what you've got. This last year I went to ODP for the first time and found that they knew most of the keepers already there and I had little chance to be seen. I just think travel is the way to go when looking into soccer for a future career or just to get into a great college. I agree with saying that Tessa is a great keeper. She has got the potential to be top notch and if she continues to play with all her heart as I've seen her play she will be unstoppable. Height helps but when you are all about soccer and just love the sport and go out on that field to win then you are just at a different level than other keepers. I was truly amazed this year watching her play. Tessa has received many compliments that are well deserved. I will be anxious to see how she does in State and I am behind her 100%. Good look girlfriend and to the rest of your team!

:blink: I'm sure you are correct. I'm sure no college coaches care about ODP. Even though this is their regular season, I'm sure they are coming out watching high school games.

It helps if you can read as well as watch soccer. I didn't say coaches don't care about it, in fact it is a questions most coached ask (Did she play ODP?)...mostly to determine a level of commmitment from a player...and yes many college coaches do come out to obseerve high school ball, especially if they are interesting in a player in Tennessee, since our schedule is different from many states. However (oh so wise one) many very good players do not participate in ODP for a multitude of reasons. By the way...I've been a a few ODP games....didn't see a buvnh of college coaches lining the fields, I see more of them a certain select tournaments!:lol:

Oh wait were you talking to me? I'm am just telling you what helped for me. Thank you for your wise opinions though. You amaze me at how much you know! Where do you get all your information ob1? When you talk about college coaches coming to high school games... well that is very rare, especially big colleges. The small ones... sure they probably come. Thats awesome for those girls they are looking at. Thanks for the information though!

Oh wait were you talking to me? I'm am just telling you what helped for me. Thank you for your wise opinions though. You amaze me at how much you know! Where do you get all your information ob1? When you talk about college coaches coming to high school games... well that is very rare, especially big colleges. The small ones... sure they probably come. Thats awesome for those girls they are looking at. Thanks for the information though!

I think he was responding to soccerfan15.

The #1 and #2 things college coaches look for is what club team they play on, and if they are involved in ODP. I frankly have had a poor opinion of ODP in the past, being too political with better- less known players being cut, but that was a few years ago, so it may have and hopefully has changed.

Think about it, would a college coach rather come to a highschool game where he/she might get to see a couple of good players, or to a club tournament where there will be many? Yes, we get college coaches at some of our games, but only to look at a specific player that they have already known something about.

Also, you need to know that I say this not being a huge fan of club soccer, since I have seen what some of the die hard clubs have done to the passion and love of the game. Too many burn outs. But, it is the best way for coaches to see you.

No sportschic...I was not talking to you...I did not use your quote...did I? I'm sorry if you were confused.......

I would have to agree with rainagain on cheryl onwu who is a sophomore on the riverdale team. Even though riverdale got put out by us (siegel) cheryl probably had one of her best games that nite. She is the one who kept them in the game and made some spectacular saves. I would say with a few more years of hard work, she could be one of the best keepers in the state.

• 2 weeks later...