The Joy it MUST be to Coach

the prophet

Oh, what it must be like to be a coach.  Win, win, win, why isn't my son playing, you are an idiot, why did you call that,  Johnny should be your Quarterback,  Why did you go for two,  you should have gone for it.  This is a small fraction of what coaches hear on a daily basis, and that is just what has already have happened, I do not even want to think about all of the advice a coach must get on the upcoming games.  I watched the OSU, Texas game on Saturday and it struck me odd that BRENT Musberger has no clue about the game of football.  As my friend told me that is why he is a play by play guy.  He needs to do just that and quit trying to analyze everthing espesially while Gary Danielson is sitting there to give game analysis.  As long as Brent has been watching and calling games he is clueless.  Probably never played a down.  I say this because I hear mamas and daddies all of the time talking about coaches (please forgive them for this) and players who are not their children, like they know their jobs better than the coach,

or even the abilities of another player.  Most of the time they do not know the ability of their own kid.  I saw a parent after a game this year throwing a fit about her sons playing time, talking about the coaches being idiots, mistreating her son.  Well for parents like that, it is great that you care about your children as you should, but please lets leave coaching to coaches.  If you want to do some one elses job, why dont you start picking up trash on the side of the highway or something productive.  DO you have any clue what telling your son that the coach does not what he is doing sounds like.  Well it would be like me telling Betty Crocker how to cook.  I can cook but I do not believe that Betty needs me telling her how to fix her dinner.  Please think with me on this one,  think about your job and how you would feel if everyone thought they could do it better than you, even those with no experience at it.  I am a very positive person and why can we as parents and supporters of high school athletes be the same way.

825749096[/snapback]

Here we go again.Are coaches not a part of the game?I mean some people on here act as if we aren't supposed to say anything regarding coaches.Face it some are good,some bad.We have a right to free speech and,while I agree with some of what you say,people still have a right to an opinion and to be able to share that opinion.They may have to face the results of there words,but they still have that right.Actually some fans know the game as well as any coach.I know the argument is why don't they do it then.Freedom of choice I guess.I will agree there is a difference in downright bashing and opinionated criticism.The former we shouldn't do,but we all have a right to offer an honest opion.The problem is too many's pride and ego get in the way.Just my opinion.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again.Are coaches not a part of the game?I mean some people on here act as if we aren't supposed to say anything regarding coaches.Face it some are good,some bad.We have a right to free speech and,while I agree with some of what you say,people still have a right to an opinion and to be able to share that opinion.They may have to face the results of there words,but they still have that right.Actually some fans know the game as well as any coach.I know the argument is why don't they do it then.Freedom of choice I guess.I will agree there is a difference in downright bashing and opinionated criticism.The former we shouldn't do,but we all have a right to offer an honest opion.The problem is too many's pride and ego get in the way.Just my opinion.

825750056[/snapback]

I will agree that some fans know more than some coaches about the game, I do not believe that some fans know more about a given team than there coaches, oh yeah, i coached these kids in the 6th grade and they were the best in the region,. Yes Michael Jordan was the best when he was 32, not at 42. Well you are right the coaches are part of the game and as much as coaches hear from parents, that "right ot an opinion" well the coaches have that same right to an opinion,

But the parents i am talking about are the same ones when their son gets in trouble or does bad in the class, it is because the teacher does not like him or the teacher is picking on him.

Until a parent spends the time on the practice field with all of the kids and watching film on all of the young men, they need not be so sure THEIR son is the next coming of JOE MONTANA. Most parents watch their son, and see all of the good that he does, none of the not so good. If their son is not on the field they see all of the bad that the boy playing in front of their son does, non of the good.

Again, do not know what you do for a living, but you are terrible at it and I would be better than you. That is what i am referring to.

Yes. Reality is, unfortunately, lost on some parents.

My dad coached basketball for a number of years and I distinctly remember two players he had that were awful, yet their parents thought they were the next big thing.

One of those was in the same class as me. I remember one JV game my sophomore year, we were up by 20 late so my dad put in the scrubs...I mean, second string...in the 4th quarter. Two minutes later, we were up by 6. The other team went full-court press, and this supposed superstar was inbounding the ball...to the other team. 5 straight turnovers bringing it in. But this kid, according to his parents, wasn't getting a chance to show what he could do.

One of many stories.

Despite my deep love for sports, and basketball in particular, seeing what my dad went through with parents is what kept me out of coaching.

Oh, what it must be like to be a coach.  Win, win, win, why isn't my son playing, you are an idiot, why did you call that,  Johnny should be your Quarterback,  Why did you go for two,  you should have gone for it.  This is a small fraction of what coaches hear on a daily basis, and that is just what has already have happened, I do not even want to think about all of the advice a coach must get on the upcoming games.  I watched the OSU, Texas game on Saturday and it struck me odd that BRENT Musberger has no clue about the game of football.  As my friend told me that is why he is a play by play guy.  He needs to do just that and quit trying to analyze everthing espesially while Gary Danielson is sitting there to give game analysis.  As long as Brent has been watching and calling games he is clueless.  Probably never played a down.  I say this because I hear mamas and daddies all of the time talking about coaches (please forgive them for this) and players who are not their children, like they know their jobs better than the coach,

or even the abilities of another player.  Most of the time they do not know the ability of their own kid.  I saw a parent after a game this year throwing a fit about her sons playing time, talking about the coaches being idiots, mistreating her son.  Well for parents like that, it is great that you care about your children as you should, but please lets leave coaching to coaches.  If you want to do some one elses job, why dont you start picking up trash on the side of the highway or something productive.  DO you have any clue what telling your son that the coach does not what he is doing sounds like.  Well it would be like me telling Betty Crocker how to cook.  I can cook but I do not believe that Betty needs me telling her how to fix her dinner.  Please think with me on this one,  think about your job and how you would feel if everyone thought they could do it better than you, even those with no experience at it.  I am a very positive person and why can we as parents and supporters of high school athletes be the same way.

825749096[/snapback]

Imust agree with everyone elses comments on this --this is a great post-i am a fan that has heard this at the school that i support and it is just unbelievable. we are currently 2-1 with a loss being to an undefeated team and i have heard negative comments towards our own players and coaches ---my school that i support has very few athletes and very little pride--i think the job the coaches have done the last 3 years is incredible--yet after a loss on friday people were talking negative. Lets support our team and coaches before we loose our coach who cares about our kids

As in all professions, there are some totally inadequate coaches.

As in all professions, we take criticism. It's called life.

I wish people would defend teachers as much as they do coaches.

A coach should not be exempt from criticism or praise.

Some of them ARE in the wrong profession.

Some of them are in the right one, like-- Coach Frazier, Coach Coady...

Just my opionion...

Would you allow a teacher to curse at your child

for not understanding a math problem?

I think parents let coaches curse their children for

not understanding a play or executing it properly.

Would you allow a teacher to kick a book or other object

across the room because your child missed a question on

a test?

I saw a coach kick a football on the sidelines at a game

Friday night. One of his players had just made a mistake.

He looked just like a child throwing a fit when he viciously kicked the ball.

Just my opinion....

We are all accountable.

Edited by justforfun?

825750056[/snapback]

Do coaches come to your work and scream suggestion and/or harse words? No. You can have any opion you want, but don't make life hard on coaches. They are shaping the leaders of the future. They have enough head aches without people slaming them.

For the most part I agree with your post. However, what about when a coach intentionally throws a game and literally tells a player he is doing so by putting them in a position they have never played or practiced in. What do you suppose that child just thought of themselves? Or what about when you have a set of twins on your team and the coach makes them change jerseys so the one that has already been used for substitution (and can be done only once) can play again. What did it tell the one that had to give their jersey up or better yet what has that coach just told an entire group of children......it's okay to cheat as long as you get away with it? Yet it continues, what about when the coach repeatedly tells the entire team "You have no tallent but don't go tell your parents I said that". Here's another one, the coach tells the players they are fat or get your "Frickin' Big Body out of the way!" or other weight comments even if he knows a player has a eating disorder like beleimia. Are parents and players suppose to sit by and support that type of coach and tactics without standing up for their child and most importantly what is morally right? I don't think so! But beleive me there are coaches out there that think they are God and that they are untouchable. As parents we have never questioned playing time, we beleive our children should perform to earn their spot. If for some reason they have always been starters and they suddenly stop playing because the coach decides he doesn't like the fact that player's parents don't support his antics he takes them out we still left that to our child to question playing time. So please be aware when you are complaining about some parents because they don't support the coach there may be circumstances your are not aware of. Don't get me wrong I agree a parent and player should show respect to the coach and their authority, however that same respect is due to the players and parents from the coach!!!

For the most part I agree with your post. However, what about when a coach intentionally throws a game and literally tells a player he is doing so by putting them in a position they have never played or practiced in. What do you suppose that child just thought of themselves? Or what about when you have a set of twins on your team and the coach makes them change jerseys so the one that has already been used for substitution (and can be done only once) can play again. What did it tell the one that had to give their jersey up or better yet what has that coach just told an entire  group of children......it's okay to cheat as long as you get away with it? Yet it continues, what about when the coach repeatedly tells the entire team "You have no tallent but don't go tell your parents I said that". Here's another one, the coach tells the players they are fat or get your "Frickin' Big Body out of the way!" or other weight comments even if he knows a player has a eating disorder like beleimia.  Are parents and players suppose to sit by and support that type of coach and tactics without standing up for their child and most importantly what is morally right? I don't think so! But beleive me there are coaches out there that think they are God and that they are untouchable. As parents we have never questioned playing time, we beleive our children should perform to earn their spot. If for some reason they have always been starters and they suddenly stop playing because the coach decides he doesn't like the fact that player's parents don't support his antics he takes them out we still left that to our child to question playing time. So please be aware when you are complaining about some parents because they don't support the coach there may be circumstances your are not aware of. Don't get me wrong I agree a parent and player should show respect to the coach and their authority, however that same respect is due to the players and parents from the coach!!!

825750195[/snapback]

THis is a reply to a few of the posts. I never said or even mentioned that coaches should not be criticised. What i have said is that when it comes to criticism remember this, (everything that i have talked about has been about sour grapes due to playing time) Be critical on what you know not what you think, such as my son is better than him, the coach should have gone for two and that sort of thing. I coached for a long time and there were many times that I thought I saw something in a game and upon reviewing the film oh, I was wrong, yes coaches are wrong and if you think that there is a coach out there who has not second guessed a decision, well I would like to meet that person and find out hi or her secret. Coaches make mistakes, but again, what is the old saying, please remove the plank from your eye before trying to remove the splinter from mine. There is a little more of that preaching.

As in all professions, there are some totally inadequate coaches.

As in all professions, we take criticism.  It's called life.

I wish people would defend teachers as much as they do coaches.

A coach should not be exempt from criticism or praise.

Some of them ARE in the wrong profession.

Some of them are in the right one, like-- Coach Frazier, Coach Coady...

Just my opionion...

825750164[/snapback]

Criticism is wonderful and anyone exempt from it is being neglected including your children. Absolutely nothing wrong with criticism. I can asure you that I am my biggest critic. Last night I grilled some steaks and they were absolutely wonderful.

However if they were not, everyone else would still tell me they were good, but I would say no they are terrrible. We all know about what tastes good to us, we do not all know what is best for a football player, football team, A coach goes on his skills as a coach and what he feels is the need of a team and a player. That is his job and because it is not yours, you have no say so in it. When you get hired as a Head Football coach then you can run it as you see best.

Prophet, I believe you hit the nail on the head. Parents who cry and complain about their son not playing need to realize something. The real reason he is not playing is he is not good enough. A kid looks up to his parents as an example and when he watches them acting like spoiled brats, that is how he will act. Parents should be encourging them to run that extra mile, do that extra set of squats, or study the playbook more. Do something that will make him better, not blame the coaching staff.

Edited by originalSC3