ELIZABETHTON CYLCONES AT SUL. EAST PATRIOTS

GLee

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Bo Carter did some kicking. I know their are always some good kickers on the Soccer team, but they don't seem to want to play football just to kick.

They had a soccer kicker on the squad but never ever gave him any help. No wander he gave up.

As some have written in the paper, Smith has stepped up and has shown that he is the man for this team. Check his stats, they tell the story. He should have been back there last year and I cant believe that this kid will probably get short changed come Friday. It will happen. One mistake and it will be declared that ole 7 will again lead the Cyclones. There is a chance with 8. He opens up the run game with his ability to move out of the pocket. Folks, with the team they have and where they were expected to be at this point, I would give it up as head coach if I lost another before the playoffs come around. The players have been let down by their illustrious leaders. Everyone in town knows it and the paper has all but said it strait out. These guys are blind of the ability of the players and the players have no faith in them. Kids are staying in trouble with very little to pay for their playfullness. At school and away from school there are several that stay in trouble. No rules, no discipline and no Ws to speak of. I could go on and on and on but Betsys football program is in ruins with the current leadership. The coaches are getting BOOs from the crowd now. Yea thats right, they are getting BOOed alot. Its not like no one sees whats going on. Please find a coach before next year and it needs to be new experienced blood. Get someone from out of town and get rid of the good ole boy system as it continues to fail the school and players. It is an embarrassment and a bunch of parents of players are p_ssed big time. Id say after the season there will be some heavy duty b_tchin. Parents are afraid to step up during the season cause they know what the coaches will do. Its crazy but it is also post Rider days. The Cyclones have been weak since then. Wander why? No work ethic is installed and monitored. RVD has been right all along and Ive waited as long as I could. Watchin, readin so now Im postin what I knew when Jenkins and now Pless came along.

dont get your hopes up, this season will end at Johnson County.

Edited by Football Friend

Elizabethton returns to the scene of the worst loss in school history in 2003. For some reason I am picking Elizabethton 20-12. If East wins all the Cyclone fans need to sing Remember When because it is over.

Check your temperature VD, you must have a fever.

The Cyclones had a good, but not a great day of practice today. The distractions to the 'team' are very real and disturbing. I'm not sure how they will react come game time, but I know the most of them will play thier hearts out either way, W or L. I am sure they respect East. That respect has been taught to them the last two years. East has a strong run game and the QB can throw if needed. I expect a real head knocker of a game as both teams have alot on the line in this one. If Elizabethton can recover mentally, they should be able to hold on to this one........that's a huge IF.

Pless is a great speaker, but needs more fire, and hopefully he has enough access to the players brains to bring them into focus. FOCUS is going to be the deciding factor Friday night for the Cyclones.

As I have said from day one, discipline is a must for a successful football program. Draw your own conclusions.

I still think many posters are being too tough on the Cyclones and certainly on Coach Pless. Granted, I have only seen them play once this year and don't know much about the 3-man front controversy or the discipline problems. I do know all five losses are to 4A and 5A teams, 4 and possibly all 5 of those teams will make the playoffs. We have lost to all five of those teams in the past, we just happened to lose to all of them this year. If we win 2 of our last 3, which I believe we will, we will make the playoffs. Coach Pless is one of the finest men I have ever known, has his heart in the right place, has a good football mind, and is a leader of young men both on and off the field. He can't throw, catch, run, kick or tackle for his players. Ultimately the players either make the plays or they don't. Remember, this school has 3A enrollment. Football is a numbers game and this year the numbers may have caught up to us. I think the players have played hard and the coaches are coaching hard, it has just not been our year. However, we will be back. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still think many posters are being too tough on the Cyclones and certainly on Coach Pless. Granted, I have only seen them play once this year and dont know much about the 3-man front controversy or the discipline problems. I do know all five losses are to 4A and 5A teams, 4 and possibly all 5 of those teams will make the playoffs. We have lost to all five of those teams in the past, we just happened to lose to all of them this year. If we win 2 of our last 3, which I believe we will, we will make the playoffs. Coach Pless is one of the finest men I have ever known, has his heart in the right place, has a good football mind, and is a leader of young men both on and off the field. He can't throw, catch, run, kick or tackle for his players. Ultimately the players either make the plays or they don't. Remember, this school has 3A enrollment. Football is a numbers game and this year the numbers may have caught up to us. I think the players have played hard and the coaches are coaching hard, it has just not been our year. However, we will be back. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I certainly agree with your assessment of Pless, but he and the staff failed this team, starting back in the summer. Yes, before football season was even near. I dont think you can have "mandantory" weight lifting and conditioning in the off season. Im not really sure of the rules, but if the kids wanted to be on the field, it should have been a "have to" situation. I dont mean, all you have to do is show up. I mean really get after with someone looking over thier shoulder who isn't one of the "kids", which is what went on. Teams are made at that time and the urgency of the situation is put in then. That is what brought on the current failures. I have no quarles with Pless the man, but under his watch, there have been too many failures. This team should be, at worst, 4-3. At this point, they have a very good chance at being one of the worst Cyclone teams since who knows when. I'd have to reseach to give you dates, but I'm sure it was way back down the line. I'm old school, but at my age, I have the right. I'm old Black & Orange and will always be that way. That is why I am so mad. This is not acceptable and I am embarrassed for my alma mater. Maybe someone will step up and straighten the mess up after this season. If not, I do believe another nightmare will occur next year and the next and the next. A good thing did happen this year and it gave Pless an opportunity to play the real QB (who should have played last year). The situation gave Smith a chance to play on a regular basis. The kid has done extremely well and has helped the team tremendously. He is the ultimate team player willing to do anything for his teammates. I still believe his ticket is defense, but as an athlete he can be an outstanding QB also. I feel sorry for some of the Seniors. You know, the ones who really worked in the off season. Those that didnt, failed themselves and their teammates. But the trouble makers should have been run off. All of them. What to work on for next year must also be speed. Kennedy (prospect if he can keep his head screwed on right and the jury is still out on that one) and Smith are it at this point which will cause a dire delima for next year. As far as the offense, I think it is coming around, play calling wise. In the last three games the offense has scored 20, 35 and 13 in a rain game that no one could move the ball well in. The defense needs to be retooled. It will not work. You cant give up 200 yards rushing and expect to win consistantly, can you? That is really a stupid question. Everyone who knows football, knows that. Pless should retool his staff after the season and that will be something that is out of carracter for Pless. He is too nice, but he needs to dump 3-4 coaches and reassign a couple. Good luck on that one.

This will be my last post. Ive been reading this for two years now and couldnt take it anymore. Ill still follow the boys, but Ill do it listening to the radio. Its not worth $5 to see the confusion. I wish them good luck, but as with any business, it all starts at the top, whether you have good intentions or not.

Edited by Football Friend

I certainly agree with your assessment of Pless, but he and the staff failed this team, starting back in the summer. Yes, before football season was even near. I dont think you can have "mandantory" weight lifting and conditioning in the off season. Im not really sure of the rules, but if the kids wanted to be on the field, it should have been a "have to" situation. I dont mean, all you have to do is show up. I mean really get after with someone looking over thier shoulder who isn't one of the "kids", which is what went on. Teams are made at that time and the urgency of the situation is put in then. That is what brought on the current failures. I have no quarles with Pless the man, but under his watch, there have been too many failures. This team should be, at worst, 4-3. At this point, they have a very good chance at being one of the worst Cyclone teams since who knows when. I'd have to reseach to give you dates, but I'm sure it was way back down the line. I'm old school, but at my age, I have the right. I'm old Black & Orange and will always be that way. That is why I am so mad. This is not acceptable and I am embarrassed for my alma mater. Maybe someone will step up and straighten the mess up after this season. If not, I do believe another nightmare will occur next year and the next and the next. A good thing did happen this year and it gave Pless an opportunity to play the real QB (who should have played last year). The situation gave Smith a chance to play on a regular basis. The kid has done extremely well and has helped the team tremendously. He is the ultimate team player willing to do anything for his teammates. I still believe his ticket is defense, but as an athlete he can be an outstanding QB also. I feel sorry for some of the Seniors. You know, the ones who really worked in the off season. Those that didnt, failed themselves and their teammates. But the trouble makers should have been run off. All of them. What to work on for next year must also be speed. Kennedy (prospect if he can keep his head screwed on right and the jury is still out on that one) and Smith are it at this point which will cause a dire delima for next year. As far as the offense, I think it is coming around, play calling wise. In the last three games the offense has scored 20, 35 and 13 in a rain game that no one could move the ball well in. The defense needs to be retooled. It will not work. You cant give up 200 yards rushing and expect to win consistantly, can you? That is really a stupid question. Everyone who knows football, knows that. Pless should retool his staff after the season and that will be something that is out of carracter for Pless. He is too nice, but he needs to dump 3-4 coaches and reassign a couple. Good luck on that one.

This will be my last post. Ive been reading this for two years now and couldnt take it anymore. Ill still follow the boys, but Ill do it listening to the radio. Its not worth $5 to see the confusion. I wish them good luck, but as with any business, it all starts at the top, whether you have good intentions or not.

well im sorry you would rather stay home and listen to the game on the radio, bottom line is these kids need all the support they can get win or lose. I'll be there for every game and wear my orange and black and wear it proudly. I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe you or anybody else for that matter is a true cyclone fan that would rather stay home and listen to WBEJ and say seeing them play is not worth paying the $5 for. Bet you would be standing by the team if they was 7-0, 5-2, 4-3............. I have a name for fans like you...."FAIRWEATHER FAN"

There are a bunch of fairweather fans then. They have a bunch of problems and they could have solved them over the summer but they picked 3 coaches to run off and everyone knows they could have gotten rid of more. So you reep what you sow and EHS has sowed bad leaders. Pless will not and probably cannot get rid of some of his coaches because they are buddies and ha! ha! together. It is not the kids fault but when you let 16 year olds do what they want and not correcting them and/or throwing them off the team look to the adults. Do not start the small school crap because they chose to play 4a and if they played 3a you would complain about travel and bad crowds. I have figured out that it does not matter what we think and what we see. It is just a bad school system in some areas and it starts with Roper and his cronies and filters on down. I just hope someone takes over before it effects all areas.

Do you think that it is a bad idea for E-Town to be playing up in classification? I know it hurts Erwin and Mountain City. It just makes sense for them to play teams that are close to their size. At least they do play AA in everything else and they are among the best teams at that level. There is no shame in saying football should drop down in classification. It doesn't make them less of a program. I just dont see the logic in playing up like Elizabethton, Mountain City, Erwin, North, and Greeneville all do. If travel is the problem, then throw Happy Valley in the mix and you have yourself a conference that has comparable student populations. Just a thought.