DB @ Karns

ArtVandalay

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me rephrase:Being one of the few people who have done both high school marching band AND varsity football, in my experience the football players care less.

I can tell you that the players definitely cared when The Walk was going on Friday, it is not the same without the band. I do not know who or where you experienced the team not caring, but today, that is wrong.

WaCo.... let's put together a Fan Based Kazoo Band for just such ocassions. We should be able to get in 2-4 games a year... I love a good Kazoo Tribal March, eat your heart out FSU!! I got my first Kazoo in 1977 on my 8th grade trip to Washington DC, actually that was my last Kazoo as well, but I would get another one if you think I could be in the Fan Based Kazoo Band.

On to week 9

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

The DB band and Lafe Cook care about one thing- themselves! I thought it funny that the band left for the Jeff Co game before the football team so they could drive out of the way to eat at the mall - (what about the cost of gas then???) missing an academic class to do so. Then, the band leaves school early for the Sevier Co game and only about 50 get out to play! Can't get the wool wet? How many games has the band played in jeans and t-shirts??? You never see the UT band hide when it rains! Then, Lafe goes after several adults who make comments about the band playing when players are down hurt and playing when DB is trying to score in the endzone next to the band and cant hear the snap count. Maybe if all the arrogance was put away, then they would realize that they are there to support the team too!

That is my point. When it's convenient, the band supports the team.

I guess it's unreasonable to see the band at an away game.

BTW, I can tell you that the Karns band was looking forward to seeing DB's band.

I could go on, but I guess we will agree to disagree.

Yes we were looking forward to seeing DB's band....but I can understand that a competition on saturday and a game on friday can be quite hectic. (we did the same thing) But seeing how it wasn't an away game we didn't have a problem. But give DB's band director a break, it sounds to me like he did the right thing.

The DB band and Lafe Cook care about one thing- themselves! I thought it funny that the band left for the Jeff Co game before the football team so they could drive out of the way to eat at the mall - (what about the cost of gas then???) missing an academic class to do so. Then, the band leaves school early for the Sevier Co game and only about 50 get out to play! Can't get the wool wet? How many games has the band played in jeans and t-shirts??? You never see the UT band hide when it rains! Then, Lafe goes after several adults who make comments about the band playing when players are down hurt and playing when DB is trying to score in the endzone next to the band and cant hear the snap count. Maybe if all the arrogance was put away, then they would realize that they are there to support the team too!

Great post.

It kills me when the band plays when we are on offense!!!

Dont get me wrong, I love the band - just not as much as they love themselves.

Great post.

It kills me when the band plays when we are on offense!!!

Dont get me wrong, I love the band - just not as much as they love themselves.

As much as I like our band, I have to agree. I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but at some point it seems the band and its leadership stopped caring so much about supporting the FB team and started focusing more on themselves and what they want. And while I understand they are an independent program of the school with their own grueling practice schedule, competitions out of town, etc., what bothers me is that they seem perfectly willing to use the FB team to gain an audience (how many people would go to J. Fred just to see the band if there were no FB game?), but are not always willing to do what they should to support the team. After the Science Hill game last year (away) the band actually loaded up and left after halftime, and the game was very close until midway through the 4th quarter.

As much as I like our band, I have to agree. I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but at some point it seems the band and its leadership stopped caring so much about supporting the FB team and started focusing more on themselves and what they want. And while I understand they are an independent program of the school with their own grueling practice schedule, competitions out of town, etc., what bothers me is that they seem perfectly willing to use the FB team to gain an audience (how many people would go to J. Fred just to see the band if there were no FB game?), but are not always willing to do what they should to support the team. After the Science Hill game last year (away) the band actually loaded up and left after halftime, and the game was very close until midway through the 4th quarter.

WHO REALLY GIVES A RATS REAR-END!!!!!

THE LAST TIME I CHECKED THIS WAS A FOOTBALL MESSAGE BOARD!!!!

For the person who compared DB's band to Tennessee's band as far as caring:

UT band members get paid to play at each game they go to. Enough incentive for you?

Give the bands a break. Once again, they DO care more about their competitions than the football games. Can you blame them? That is their time to shine. The football games are just one more practice for them. And as far as the bands playing while the football team is on offense, I don't think theres a problem with them playing a short something in between plays. If they play during the offensive play, however, that's crossing the line.

The days of the band JUST having to support the football team are over. It's unfortunate that DB's band misses a few of the games, only because DB's football team is one I'd want to watch. However, for anyone to criticize them for getting prepared for what they work hard for each season is unreasonable.

For the person who compared DB's band to Tennessee's band as far as caring:

UT band members get paid to play at each game they go to. Enough incentive for you?

Give the bands a break. Once again, they DO care more about their competitions than the football games. Can you blame them? That is their time to shine. The football games are just one more practice for them. And as far as the bands playing while the football team is on offense, I don't think theres a problem with them playing a short something in between plays. If they play during the offensive play, however, that's crossing the line.

The days of the band JUST having to support the football team are over. It's unfortunate that DB's band misses a few of the games, only because DB's football team is one I'd want to watch. However, for anyone to criticize them for getting prepared for what they work hard for each season is unreasonable.

Since the football games are pratice for the band, maybe the football teams need to start charging the bands for the seats, workspace and take back the concession stands. My son plays for Science Hill and there hasn't been one game that the football team has been able to warm up after halftime on the field because the band has ran long. The last time I remembered, the games are played for the football teams but then again this is the age of "everyone wins and there are no losers" maybe that has something to do with the sizes of these bands at these schools.