Why Farragut can't beat Oak Ridge.

rigger101

Hey guys, I was just poking fun about the farragutless. It was a natural. Rigger knew I was playin I'm sure. Just like people messin with OR about Nukes. Let's play nice. This is about high school football and their kids have just as much class as ours. Sorry to get something started.

Ole Dad

OR 63 if you want to find out how gutless some of the FHS players are than I invite you to come over in December and try a few of them on the mats.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I was just poking fun about the farragutless. It was a natural. Rigger knew I was playin I'm sure. Just like people messin with OR about Nukes. Let's play nice. This is about high school football and their kids have just as much class as ours. Sorry to get something started.

Ole Dad

Yeah, I did! I know when to bite.

Rigger, I appreciate your support for Farragut, but give me a break. This is a football board about football games. Championships in other sports score zero points on Friday nights. We all know what sport is king around here. Soccer, tennis, golf, cross country championships, PLEASE!

exactly we aint tennis on here. this is Football we are talking about. Rigger i admit there are some good players on the Farragut football team and if i am correct some of them, like the reviez kid, are also good wrestlers on the wrestling..But when it comes to the Farragut's football program compared to OR' football program, the Wildcats are better hands down.we've always had better receivers(McCaddley,Thrift),Runningbacks(Summers,James Booker,Cory Booker,Bohanon, Gulmire). i am not trying to be disrespectful but i hope u understand what i am saying

exactly we aint tennis on here. this is Football we are talking about. Rigger i admit there are some good players on the Farragut football team and if i am correct some of them, like the reviez kid, are also good wrestlers on the wrestling..But when it comes to the Farragut's football program compared to OR' football program, the Wildcats are better hands down.we've always had better receivers(McCaddley,Thrift),Runningbacks(Summers,James Booker,Cory Booker,Bohanon, Gulmire). i am not trying to be disrespectful but i hope u understand what i am saying

Or692003 quit reliving to 1991 players.Farragut might beat o.r.

I never said anything different.

What you have to understand is that, I've been sitting in the stands of the ship when my son was at DB and they played their playoff game there and it was cold, raining and muddy and they beat OR! Therefore, I've been sitting on the winning side! I have a world of respect for your program.

All I know is that FHS has some great athletes and is finally fielding a team that can compete with most programs. They are in the top 12 now and were high as 9th last year. But to go to the next level they have to beat OR. Just like the Soccer team had to beat Bearden but it took a coaching change to do that.

I know I came from a program that had not won but one game in 5 years but the feeder system won at every level. Our parents and booster club knew they had another good group of football players starting HS and had the coach replaced and we starting winning and upsetting everyone.

Coaching and community support matters! We need more of it at Farragut!

Rigger, I appreciate your support for Farragut, but give me a break. This is a football board about football games. Championships in other sports score zero points on Friday nights. We all know what sport is king around here. Soccer, tennis, golf, cross country championships, PLEASE!

Not so fast my friend...

I think that there could be something to the fact that Farragut dominates some sports but merely contends in football. The atmosphere around prep sports has seen the emphasis on "prep" grow considerably in recent years. More and more young athletes are being encouraged to specialize in one sport or one position so as to be better prepared to play that sport or position at the next level. Also, sports programs are now really year round commitments. It used to be that when the season ended you relaxed until training started back up for the next year. Sure there were a few camps here and there during the summer, but for the most part there was no off-season weight training regimen accompanied by group conditioning that starts back up two weeks after the season ends. So, with the dominant schools having adopted that approach, it has forced a number of young athletes to pick one sport in which to commit their time, efforts and attention. This deprives other sports of some of a school's top athletes.

In the case of Farragut, the baseball, soccer, and maybe other (I'm not from there so I don't know) programs have a more storied tradition than does the football team. And those groups garner more publicity and attention (both locally and nationally by college and professional scouts) than does the football squad. So it follows naturally that there are probably a lot of very gifted soccer players, tennis players, baseball players, wrestlers, and track and cross country stars who could help the admirals win football games had they not made the choice to apply their gifts on other fields/courts/courses of play.

That's my thought on the subject.

Papa choas don't you think the same thing happens at Oak Ridge? We have many players who only are involved in one sport, even though they played and excelled in more than one in middle school or in the early years of high school.

Some players,parents and coaches only want to concentrate on one sport some don't ..sounds like a commercial for almond joy. A injury in one could a career in another.

Papa choas don't you think the same thing happens at Oak Ridge? We have many players who only are involved in one sport, even though they played and excelled in more than one in middle school or in the early years of high school.

Some players,parents and coaches only want to concentrate on one sport some don't ..sounds like a commercial for almond joy. A injury in one could a career in another.

I don't disagree with you at all, and I'm not saying that specializing in one sport is a bad thing. As you adeptly point out an injury in an "off-sport" could destroy an athlete's chances in his or her best sport.

And I'm sure that the same thing does happen at Oak Ridge. I think where it may be more of a factor at Farragut as opposed to Oak Ridge is that (in my opinion as an outside observer) Farragut places more emphasis on sports other than basketball and football than does Oak Ridge. OR is a perennial powerhouse in both of those sports and those sports allow student athletes to play on both teams...unlike cross country and wrestling for example which respectively force athletes to choose between football and basketball.

It's just a thought and there may be nothing to it. But I think that some of Farragut's football woes can be attributed to their dominance in other sports and that Oak Ridge and many other schools would also see their football programs diminished if soccer and baseball became the two most emphasized sports programs at their schools.

Oh...I should also note that I think this is only part of the answer to the question of why Farragut loses to Oak Ridge. Oak Ridge has superior coaching and a legacy of dominance that filters down year after year and makes each group of kids desire to excel beyond those who have gone before them. This does not exist in recent memory for Farragut's ball team. And culture is hard to create. I think also that it might not be too hard to make the argument that Oak Ridge also has superior athletes most years...something in the water out there? haha....

Edited by papa chaos

I don't disagree with you at all, and I'm not saying that specializing in one sport is a bad thing. As you adeptly point out an injury in an "off-sport" could destroy an athlete's chances in his or her best sport.

And I'm sure that the same thing does happen at Oak Ridge. I think where it may be more of a factor at Farragut as opposed to Oak Ridge is that (in my opinion as an outside observer) Farragut places more emphasis on sports other than basketball and football than does Oak Ridge. OR is a perennial powerhouse in both of those sports and those sports allow student athletes to play on both teams...unlike cross country and wrestling for example which respectively force athletes to choose between football and basketball.

It's just a thought and there may be nothing to it. But I think that some of Farragut's football woes can be attributed to their dominance in other sports and that Oak Ridge and many other schools would also see their football programs diminished if soccer and baseball became the two most emphasized sports programs at their schools.

Oh...I should also note that I think this is only part of the answer to the question of why Farragut loses to Oak Ridge. Oak Ridge has superior coaching and a legacy of dominance that filters down year after year and makes each group of kids desire to excel beyond those who have gone before them. This does not exist in recent memory for Farragut's ball team. And culture is hard to create. I think also that it might not be too hard to make the argument that Oak Ridge also has superior athletes most years...something in the water out there? haha....

I agree about everything except the superior athletes. Some of Farraguts superior kids have been of the soccer, Baseball or other programs that don't want the kids out there or the Football program has made it unconfortable for them to go out for the other sports so they don't play for the football team. I know of about 10 kids over the years that could have helped.

Edited by rigger101

OR State Chamionships

Girls Basketball-3

Boys Tennis-1

Girls Cross Country-3

Boys Cross Country-5

Girls Track-1

Boys Basketball-2

Football-7

Boys Track-7

Girls Tennis-2

Farragut State Championships

Girls Golf-1

Baseball-3

Girls Softball-1

Girls Cross Country-4

Boys Cross Country-3

Girls Track-5

Boys Track-3

Boys Golf-3

Soccer-3

I'm not seeing that secondary sports thing you were talking about. Please expalin further.

Ole Dad