Why Farragut can't beat Oak Ridge.

rigger101

I'm not seeing that secondary sports thing you were talking about. Please expalin further.

Ole Dad

Well I can speak from personal and from what I've been told by other parents. I have a son who was a great soccer player but also good at other sports. He was presurred by his Select Team Soccer coach to make a choice between High School CC or Soccer. Then there is the situation we had in the past that the FHS football team did not want their players doing anything except football. That has changed some with the Reviez boys in Wrestling. I hope that some of these coaches get over theirselfs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you start this thread, Rigger?????

Duhhhhhhhhhh!

It's in the postings why I started it.

I've learned a lot from these post and others.

I didn't Know the record between OR and FHS untill all the postings. I think its been a game about 50% of the time but OR has it where it counts in the W section. IMO- this is a special group of Ads, that can beat OR! I hope they can win dispite their Coaching in the past.

I would agree that this is the best Farragut team in about 20 years. We need to be on top of our game to beat you guys. Since I have been here since 2002, with the exception of last year's playoff game, Farragut has found a way to keep it close with good defense. I think this will be a close defensive battle with Oak Ridge enjoying the advantage of the home crowd and pulling out the win.

I would agree that this is the best Farragut team in about 20 years. We need to be on top of our game to beat you guys. Since I have been here since 2002, with the exception of last year's playoff game, Farragut has found a way to keep it close with good defense. I think this will be a close defensive battle with Oak Ridge enjoying the advantage of the home crowd and pulling out the win.

Yeah, you have a great football atmosphere at the ship!

I'm looking forward to being there Friday night!

OR State Chamionships

Girls Basketball-3

Boys Tennis-1

Girls Cross Country-3

Boys Cross Country-5

Girls Track-1

Boys Basketball-2

Football-7

Boys Track-7

Girls Tennis-2

Farragut State Championships

Girls Golf-1

Baseball-3

Girls Softball-1

Girls Cross Country-4

Boys Cross Country-3

Girls Track-5

Boys Track-3

Boys Golf-3

Soccer-3

I'm not seeing that secondary sports thing you were talking about. Please expalin further.

Ole Dad

Oak Ridge did also win 2 soccer titles with Coach Rush.

Rigger,

Any closer to getting the answer to this thread question? I hope you were treated well at the ship and enjoyed the game (obviously other than the outcome). Let me know if you have figured out the answer to why OR is 26-4 against the ADS and what you think it will take to turn that around. I am truly interested. Sorry I didn't get to come to Tennessee for this one but it was great on CSS. Clean, hard hitting game by both teams. My friends that came to watch it with me (and they know football) said it looked like two small colleges. I would agree.

Good Luck in the Playoffs.

Go Cats!

Ole Dad

Yeah, you have a great football atmosphere at the ship!

I'm looking forward to being there Friday night!

Willie,

I don't think it worked as hoped! Line play was huge. Those guys controlled the game. Not taking anything away from Spencer but the entire Cat team "came to Play"! Ads were sunk early by attitude, confidence, preparation and perspiration. Oh, and don't forget tradition.

Ole Dad

You start a tread to get bullitin board material?

How did it work out? :lol:

I am the cross country coach at ORHS and rarely even look at football discussion boards, but I stumbled on this thread and thought I would respond to the contention that OR is merely a football town. I graduated from ORHS in 1984 and ran on the 1983 state championship team as the #1. I coached the girls' 1996 state champion team and am head coach of two teams that will contend for the state championship next Saturday. As an athlete and a coach I have never felt anything other than complete community support for my sport, which is, I admit, rather a niche sport here in the South. I carry a large roster, though (between 70-80 athletes) and experience nothing but fantastic support from the community and the school system. Maybe that's one reason that we are having such success this year so far (football, girls soccer, cross country boys and girl Region titles so far): the school and the community do value the sports that have less marquee value than the football program.

I don't have to fight other coaches for athletes; in fact, we just don't do that here. Coaches in other sports constantly offer our teams and athletes encouragement and congratulations. Our Athletic Director treats my sport and other sports with respect and attention. In fact, he's the only AD I know of who goes to every sport's championship games/meets/tournaments.

All of that is to suggest that one advantage ORHS sports have over some schools' sports involves the community's support of every facet of the athletic and academic programs at the school. I would bet that other schools with traditions in many sports, such as Houston, Farragut, Dobyns-Bennett, and Science Hill, have the same sort of program-wide support.

By the way, I taught at Farragut for one year as an intern in the 1990s, and it seemed to me then that Farragut had as much interest and support for their sports as any school I'd seen. They have a long and impressive history in cross country and track, soccer, baseball, and football, especially, and the school has long supported that.

Edited by AEtheridge

AE,

And by the way. That was about the last time they beat OR in football. 14 years ago I think is the number. But, everything else you said is correct. Tradition, support and expectations are paramount in success.

Ole Dad

I am the cross country coach at ORHS and rarely even look at football discussion boards, but I stumbled on this thread and thought I would respond to the contention that OR is merely a football town. I graduated from ORHS in 1984 and ran on the 1983 state championship team as the #1. I coached the girls' 1996 state champion team and am head coach of two teams that will contend for th state championship next Saturday. As an athlete and a coach I have never felt anything other than complete community support for my sport, which is, I admit, rather a niche sport here in the South. I carry a large roster, though (between 70-80 athletes) and experience nothing but fantastic support from the community and the school system. Maybe that's one reason that we are having such success this year so far (football, girls soccer, cross country boys and girl Region titles so far): the school and the community do value the sports that have less marquee value than the football program.

I don't have to fight other coaches for athletes; in fact, we just don't do that here. Coaches in other sports constantly offer our teams and athletes encouragement and congratulations. Out Athletic Director treats my sport and other sports with respect and attention. In fact, he's the only AD I know of who goes to every sport's championship games/meets/tournaments.

All of that is to suggest that one advantage ORHS sports have over some schools' sports involves the community's support of every facet of the athletic and academic programs at the school. I would bet that other schools with traditions in many sports, such as Houston, Farragut, Dobyns-Bennett, and Science Hill, have the same sort of program-wide support.

By the way, I taught at Farragut for one year as an intern in the 1990s, and it seemed to me then that Farragut had as much interest and support for their sports as any school I'd seen. They have a long and impressive history in cross country and track, soccer, baseball, and football, especially, and the school has long supported that.