The New Tn/ky Private School Athletic Association

tnsddeveloper

Having all the private schools in Division II would decrease the travel, as a whole. It's been pointed out (by me and others) many times. That's not an issue. Nobody wants a 350-student Brentwood Academy winning the state in football against schools six times larger, which could happen in a merit system so that's not the answer either. Some private schools just want to continue beating public schools, win 7 or 8 games at least every year and call themselves a quality program.

Indian

Travel is an issue...I looked at your post from Dec 27 2004 - 08:35 PM and it does not cut down on travel at all. You have Knoxville Teams traveling to Chattanooga , Sewanee to Clarksville, Collierville to Jackson. Why should any team have to travel more than 1 hour to play anybody. And you didn’t even address the AAA teams just tossed them all into one big group. Hey Lots of travel savings there!

Your point on Private schools just wanting to continue to beat public schools is also unjustified. Private schools Serve a market, they do not choose the area in which they build because of the poor athletics of surrounding schools. They choose the area to fill a need that public schools can't or will not fill. Whether it be a religious or educational standard that is lacking in the area public school. People don’t send their children to these schools because they have a good football team. They do however encourage participation, something the public schools don’t do.

I believe in the Public school system I am a graduate of a public system.

There are several great public school systems in the state unfortunately not everyone can live in an area that has a great system. And those that can afford to take their children out of the Lousy systems probably will.

From your Posts I can tell your a public grad I would say about 28-30 years old.

Have Any Kids yet? I challenge you to Take a Visit to Gallatin, McGavock Lebanon, or Clarksville High schools spend a few days, Talk to the officers that roam the halls and man the doors. Then go to JPII, DCA, Goodpasture, and Clarksville Acad. then come back and tell me where you would send your kids

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indian

Travel is an issue...I looked at your post from Dec 27 2004 - 08:35 PM and it does not cut down on travel at all. You have Knoxville Teams traveling to Chattanooga , Sewanee to Clarksville, Collierville to Jackson. Why should any team have to travel more than 1 hour to play anybody. And you didn’t even address the AAA teams just tossed them all into one big group. Hey Lots of travel savings there!

Your point on Private schools just wanting to continue to beat public schools is also unjustified. Private schools Serve a market, they do not choose the area in which they build because of the poor athletics of surrounding schools. They choose the area to fill a need that public schools can't or will not fill. Whether it be a religious or educational standard that is lacking in the area public school. People don’t send their children to these schools because they have a good football team. They do however encourage participation, something the public schools don’t do.

There are several great public school systems in the state unfortunately not everyone can live in an area that has a great system. And those that can afford to take their children out of the Lousy systems probably will.

From your Posts I can tell your a public grad I would say about 28-30 years old.

Have Any Kids yet? I challenge you to Take a Visit to Gallatin, McGavock Lebanon, or Clarksville High schools spend a few days, Talk to the officers that roam the halls and man the doors. Then go to JPII, DCA, Goodpasture, and Clarksville Acad. then come back and tell me where you would send your kids

These schools want to isolate themselves on academic, discipline matters, but not in athletics. Doesn't make sense. The long trips would be rare, usually one or two a year if that many. Memphis to East Tennessee trips would be gone, I think that's a good thing.

These schools want to isolate themselves on academic, discipline matters, but not in athletics. Doesn't make sense. The long trips would be rare, usually one or two a year if that many. Memphis to East Tennessee trips would be gone, I think that's a good thing.

Your assumption here is incorrect Indian. Private schools don't try to "isolate" themselves. Quite the contrary, most private schools are very active in the communities in which they reside. Private schools offer an alternative for people who are looking for something that the publics don't offer. It has nothing to do with "isolation".

Ok, now let's look at your long trips argument. So in Football there will be one or 2 mandatory long trips (for region play). Add 2 more for non region and we are up to 4 (almost half the regular season). Now multiply that by 9 or 10 sports (really more than that since basketball will include double the regular season region games as Football, as will Baseball). By my count we are up to 40 or so long trips over the school year. Assuming that most privates already make one or two non-region long distance trips in each sport, we are talking about an addition of 20 or so long trips. Or, to put that in dollars, an additional $40,000 to $60,000 cost. For most small privates (who operate on a shoestring already) that is pretty cost prohibitive...perhaps if you public members of the TSSAA pitched in and paid us the difference...lessee...100 or so privates times $50,000 = $5,000,000 give or take. Of course, we haven't even considered the loss of revenue because long distance games never bring the crowds that local games do...a couple or 3 more million ought to do it. Think you can talk the publics into it?

I have read that they will probably compromise and keep all the schools together by implementing a "20 Mile" rule for athletic eligibility: ie...if an enrolled student lives more than 20 miles away from the campus, they would not be eligible to participate in athletics for at least a year. Seems like a reasonable solution...one which our state might consider. Of course, I don't believe KY has any boarding schools, so we'd have to address that.

• 2 weeks later...

Indian

If all Priovate Schools had to play in DII travel would not be an issue in any sport but football. There are plenty of schools that play Other sports other than football to make this work. You have more than 20 schools in Middle TN alone that play DI so please do not use travel as an excuse on this. The private schools in DI do not want to play schools the same size because of the competition

If all Priovate Schools had to play in DII travel would not be an issue in any sport but football. There are plenty of schools that play Other sports other than football to make this work. You have more than 20 schools in Middle TN alone that play DI so please do not use travel as an excuse on this. The private schools in DI do not want to play schools the same size because of the competition

I think you're wrong...I think travel is and would be a big issue and not in the best interest of the kids...and that should be the most important factor the kids...and their safety