Whats The Call?

cbg

You be the official:

4th down and 3 yards to go for a first down for team A. Team A punts the football and on the play team B is called for having 12 men on the field during the punt. The officials threw the flag and it was a 15 yard penalty on Team B from where the player received the ball.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You be the official:

4th down and 3 yards to go for a first down for team A. Team A punts the football and on the play team B is called for having 12 men on the field during the punt. The officials threw the flag and it was a 15 yard penalty on Team B from where the player received the ball.

That don't seem right to me

ats.com is right! Illegal participation, 15 yards from previous spot, 1st and 10 for A. However, if the zebra crew were on their toes, the penalty should have been blown dead right before the snap and adminstored a 5 yard, illegal subsitution. Either way, it is 1st and 10 for A when A though they were giving up the ball.

Here is my sticking point. By allowing the play to develop, the penalty is more sever for being 15 yards for participation instead of subsitution. The offical should always consider safety first. Always give a subsitution foul instead of a participation foul if possible. By allowing the play to start, you run a chance of injury to a player on a play that could have been prevented. I know that sounds very soft, but you can see it happening.

That's my $0.02 :thumb:

I forgot to add that it was not only a 15 yard penalty on team B from where they received the football but team B was also given the football. The coaches from team A were going crazy but the officials would not go over to the sideline and explain their view of the situation.

catsfan01,

I understand what you are saying, but in a punting situtation, most defences do not huddle. Even then, you can have illegal subsitution up to the point of the snap if defense has 12 on the field. But after the snap, it becomes participation.

Illegal subsitution on the offense side of the ball is very clearly explained. Flip it over and it gets a little grey. If the defense runs a player on the field and the replaced player does not leave or make an attempt to leave and has plenty of time before the snap, the call should be subsitution. Like I stated eariler, safety first. Stop the play, administor the 5-yard penalty.

Preventative officating tells me to call the subsitution before it gets to participation.

When you put a man in for another man that is a substation. if you have 12 players on the field then someone who was substituted for DID NOT get off the field. Good officials will blow it dead before the play. Catsfan make sure you know what you are talking about before you make a statement like that. Good job DP.

Edited by wad