Division 2 Prospects

Memwrestling11

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets hear a little bit about division two ..... did any teams move up to division one?

What you are trying to say is did any teams move down to D1, correct? To answer your queston, yes Knoxville Catholic and Notre Dame changed divisions and are now in D1. The problem as you know is that until the top D1 schools accept the challange to wrestle the top D2 schools it's very difficult for anyone not to feel that D2 while small in numbers has the better wrestling teams.

What you are trying to say is did any teams move down to D1, correct? To answer your queston, yes Knoxville Catholic and Notre Dame changed divisions and are now in D1. The problem as you know is that until the top D1 schools accept the challange to wrestle the top D2 schools it's very difficult for anyone not to feel that D2 while small in numbers has the better wrestling teams.

They dont touch the 2001 BC team that set the all time scoring record. Nor the 2004 team with the 5 state champs who finished 2nd at the VA Duals. This year would be a toss-up, next year BC wins it.........But....as I said in another thread, this is nothing but an opinion of who you happen to like best or which division you represent. There have always been great individuals and teams. Its not difficult to feel BC was better at times and vice versa. The polls have put BC ahead in many of these years so people do not have a difficult time thinking they were the best as you say.

Why cant we just appreciate the quality teams we have in both divisions? The titles are recognized seperately anyway. At least we dont have to argue GAs 5 divisons or ALA,s 6 or however many some other states have. They are great kids that represent great programs.Baylor appears to be the strongest on paper this year and unless upset will likely get the nod from the states polls. As a BC fan, if Baylor goes unbeaten, Id say they deserve the ranking.

The best comparison we may get is how they both fair against Collins Hill and Soddy Daisy. No need to say someone is moving up or down. I think Notre Dame and Knox C. will find plenty of competion.The competition is tough in both divisions, and, in any given year the best team could be in either division. To say anything else is based on opinion only. And you have a right to yours.

They dont touch the 2001 BC team that set the all time scoring record. Nor the 2004 team with the 5 state champs who finished 2nd at the VA Duals. This year would be a toss-up, next year BC wins it.........But....as I said in another thread, this is nothing but an opinion of who you happen to like best or which division you represent. There have always been great individuals and teams. Its not difficult to feel BC was better at times and vice versa. The polls have put BC ahead in many of these years so people do not have a difficult time thinking they were the best as you say.

Why cant we just appreciate the quality teams we have in both divisions? The titles are recognized seperately anyway. At least we dont have to argue GAs 5 divisons or ALA,s 6 or however many some other states have. They are great kids that represent great programs.Baylor appears to be the strongest on paper this year and unless upset will likely get the nod from the states polls. As a BC fan, if Baylor goes unbeaten, Id say they deserve the ranking.

The best comparison we may get is how they both fair against Collins Hill and Soddy Daisy. No need to say someone is moving up or down. I think Notre Dame and Knox C. will find plenty of competion.The competition is tough in both divisions, and, in any given year the best team could be in either division. To say anything else is based on opinion only. And you have a right to yours.

Well written, thoughtful, smart, down right poetic....but dog gone it, we want to see the match!

Folks look at the Schools with championships. It's pretty close to being even.

Public-25

Private-28

The entire Private school championships came from three Chatt Schools. Not very diversified.

What are you talking about the only private schools champions being from Chattanooga. Have you forgotten about Father Ryan? It is still not very diversified, but they won their fair share of titles.

Is moving to Division 1 "moving down" WE DONT THINK SO!!

Rawn---------I agree that NDs move to D-I should not be considered "moving down". Come February, the current crop of kids will learn what a marathon march it is to medal in D-I as opposed to D-II ( no knock on the quality of D-II wrestling , but getting to the final 6 with as few teams as there are in D-II just does not have the same hurdles as in D-I ). But I have heard that ND is not going to schedule Baylor in wrestling this season. The Baylor-ND match is a longstanding annual affair, dating back to the late 60's when guys like Yogi Anderson, Pez Whatley, Reggie Gaddis, Steve Hammond, Martin Francis, and others were wrestling the Weinbergs , the Thompsons, Albert Wilson, John Hannah and others and Shaack was coaching at ND. Is this scheduling move true? If so, while I don't consider ND's move to D-I a "move down", I would consider the absence of a Baylor-ND a match a "move down" ----------from a fans perspective------------- I don't have a dog in the hunt. I would hate to see that match become a casualty of ND's move to D-I.

Edited by BuckLateral