Antioch

mr.giggliefly33

Just wanted to say Congrats to the rebels. heard u all gave it everything and it paid off in the end. glad to hear that john bell made his first field goal. take that confidence into the next game and ull do it again fellas. good luck the rest of the way. ill be listening

yep im glad antioch lost even tho for some reason i picked them. I like to see rivalries during the playoffs.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I DO know Antioch's weakness quite well. Its a shame that Preston Brown and Trey Cole don't have more help. The Rogers kid is impressive for Antioch as well. Congrats to Franklin on attacking Antioch's suspect pass D between the hashes and exemplifying what I've said about high school football for years. If you can throw the ball in the middle of the field, you will win 90% of the time. Mikrut was sharp early and Hewitt and Campbell made some huge catches. I guess we will now see what Antioch does next year when their coaching staff doesn't have a high school AA playing tailback. Me thinks they need to go see Coach Clayton and take some notes!!

HEY!!!!!, runtheball & bigchief------ I WAS RIGHT ABOUT ANTIOCH.

I was right about you, too. But who is keeping score? Take a look back. I never said Antioch would win. After watching their game with Hillwood, I really didn't think they would either. However, your attacks on McPhail are growing tired. Much like I am of listening to them. Now go ahead and try your best to "attack" me also. Unlike you, I just laugh it off and consider the source. :lol:

Let me start by saying that I am proud to be and Antioch Alum. The boys really pulled together at the the end of the season to make something out of it. Next year will be a true test of the Seniors ability to lead with out the big name player to fall back on. Trust in each other and "Believe" that it can be done. As for everything else. Coach Brown got us where we wanted to be in the 97 and 99 season. Most of us were Soph when we went the first time and lost to Whites Creek then in 99 we beat a Brentwood team that had more DI prospects then we had had in 3 years combined. If coach brown ever needs help at the new place he can give me a call i would be more than happy to come work under him.

GO BEARS!!!! C/O 2000

I went to and played at Antioch in the late 1990's. I have a lot of suggestions, some that I think that would work, to get that program over the hump. Let me say that although I am extremely critical of the staff, particularly on the offensive side of things, I do realize that they have a tough job and I feel that they do work hard, and have been fairly successful. With that said, the biggest mistake they made was letting Buddy Brown walk out the door. Coach Brown was tough, but fair, and a really good guy. You don’t have to agree with everything one does to respect them and respect is the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Coach Brown. McPhail doesn’t have nearly the constraints that Brown had on him (i.e. Administration issues with Anthony). Brown was a little conservative too, but McPhail makes him look like Steve Spurrier!! I have always been a proponent of outside the box thinking, particularly on the offensive side of the football, to get the most out of your kids. In a community like Antioch, where the kids are not completely broke, but still have that pull of the streets or material things, you kind of have to shake things up to create a buzz. The best way to do that is to put a creative, Playstation-like offense out there. Antioch should ALWAYS be in the state's Top Ten just on the number of pure athletes in that building. With that comes the pressures of the street on the kids and them wanting instant gratification. Well, I have always thought that Antioch's strategy of packing it in and running the ball was counter productive for a lot of reasons. I had guys I went to AHS with that I would beg to play because they were great athletes, and all they would say is "I don't want to play WR or TE and be a glorified Tackle." Hate to say it, but there is validity to their point. Could you say that they are selfish, sure, but I wouldn't want anyone who did not want the rock on my team. They have always had a great RB at AHS, whether it be Josh Waller, Demetric Coleman, Rico Phillips, DeQuan Adams, Jason Blackwell, LaMarcus Coker, or Preston Brown. Those guys could have all been greater than they were with a little room to work with. I mean, why you couldn’t put Coker out wide some and throw him the rock one on one in space instead of him having to run against 10 in the box is beyond me. I know their QB’s were raw, but somebody with some eligibility in that building can throw the football or get somebody to teach them in the summers. You just can't tell me that there aren't two guys that can throw it and three guys that can catch it in a 3,000 person student body. True, not everybody is team oriented enough to make the sacrifice it takes to be a good football player. But its the "they aren't going to do anything but run the lead and the belly series anyways" thinking that has not allowed those kids to slip through the cracks and not become a Riverdale type program despite having some really good athletes on hand. As an example, I left AHS in 1999. When I was a freshman and sophomore, we had two guys in Jay Gilmore and Chris Smith that could flat throw the rock around. Both of those guys had worked with Scott Smith for a few years and it really started to show. Jay could throw it 65 yards and Chris was smart and accurate from 25 in. We had some pretty good receivers too like Leon McGregor, Flip McMillian, etc. We'd go whip up on people all summer in the old Metro passing league and come August 1, it was back to belly series. We didn't have good enough personnel back then to just push people off the ball, so that team in 1996 went 4-6, despite probably having much better QB play than the team that went to into the new facility and the playoffs the next year. That was my sophomore year and I remember our biggest wins that year were games that we spread teams and Jay just did his thing. I remember a game against Maplewood that season that we were down 20 in the fourth and fumbled on a game winning drive and played Pearl-Cohn their toughest game before they went on to their first 4A state championship by keeping them off balance. I just have a feeling that a scheme change would do that program a lot of good. I have gone on record that I would love to see what a Scott Smith or Brian Rector could do at a school like Antioch. I think Josh Smith may be that guy in a few years, I just wonder if they will be smart enough to give him a shot. I’d like for McPhail to make the scheme change now, but it may take his son at QB in a few years for the change to take effect. I just feel like they have wasted two golden opportunities with excellent personnel in 2004 and 2005.