Kingston

knight2

The girls lost another heart breaker Friday night to Greenback in OT. This makes the second consecutive game where they lost in OT. They played hard but mistakes and inexperience hurt them. Kayla Parks hit a few critical 3's to keep them close. If she continues to shoot the outside shot successfully, this could really help their offensive. Their opponents would have to start respecting the outside threat which in turn would get the double team off Smith and Gentry down low. Gentry also had a good game and hit one of the most difficult and unusual shots I've ever seen. Tayler Smith played well on defense but needs to become more involved in their offense. They did a better job getting her the ball but she must learn how to take it to the goal more aggressively. It appeared she hurt her ankle (or leg, not sure which), does anyone know how serious it is and if she'll be ready to play Tuesday night? Harriman wont be a powerhouse but the Lady Jackets better not over look them. Good luck girls

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the score board it correct. Kingston lost in OT. Kingston has talent, but until their coaches develop this talent, they will continue to struggle just as they have over the past 4 or 5 years. There are 2 things they need to do in order to begin having a chance at winning:

1) Quit shooting the 3's - They shot 11 or 12 last night and didnt hit any!! This is basically the same as a turnover. And they werent just off last night, their 3 point shooting has been terrible all year.

2) Stop pressing!!! - There's nothing wrong with pressing under certain circumstances and if it works. However, they have been pressing all season for most of the entire game and they have yet to slow down a team. Last night, CAK had no trouble at all breaking the press yet the coach continued to do it the entire game.

Oh, and just to make a point about the decision making of their coaches, they never stopped them from shooting the 3 during the game, however, with 12 seconds left in OT and Kingston had the ball and they were down by 3, they shot a 2 pointer. Go figure.

Thought you said to quit shooting 3's? Now all of sudden, it will help take the pressure off(which is exactly what I said earlier). I guess its ok to shoot them if they go in, right.

There you go thinking again! What I said was Kayla hit a few critical 3's, I never said anything about it being the right thing to do. If you reference my previous comments, I said they needed to do 2 things to "WIN", that being they should quit shooting the 3's if they want to win, which they didnt do Friday night. I've also said they should be shooting the 3 in practice until they rebuild their confidence, then do it in the game. I still say they should either quit shooting them or significantly decrease the amount they shoot and concentrate more on getting the ball inside. I didnt keep track of how many they shot as a team but I'll bet the percentage is still low, once again proving they should be penatrating the lane and shooting shots inside the 3 point arc.

Edited by bballnuts

I have seen them play three times and it appears to me they have trouble playing at a high level night in and night out. Youth could be one factor but, I see the older girls playing to same level of competition they are playing. They must correct that. They have good talent and fair outside shooters (streaky) but when they are on they are ok.

I see another problem they really need to be worked on more than any other, attitudes. I see them being taken out of the game pouting and getting mad. That must stop to be successful.

It will hurt them, if they don’t stop that. The younger kids must play for them to be successful. The older girls can’t play the entire game every night.

I know several of the kids and they could be a really good team before the season is over if they take care of these weaknesses.

Kingston should beat Harriman. After all they lost to Rockwood who hadn't even won a game. They even lost to Oakdale. Maybe tonight's game can give the girl's some much-needed confidence. They'll need it for the game against Loudon Fri. Loudon is tough. They have a freshman that is scoring about 20 a game. She's as good as any freshman out there.

Kingston should beat Harriman. After all they lost to Rockwood who hadn't even won a game. They even lost to Oakdale. Maybe tonight's game can give the girl's some much-needed confidence. They'll need it for the game against Loudon Fri. Loudon is tough. They have a freshman that is scoring about 20 a game. She's as good as any freshman out there.

Kingston should beat Harriman. The Jackets have much more depth and talent. But give Oakdale some respect, they are a very good team in one of the most difficult districts in all of A ball. Harriman losing to the Eagles is not as bad as you make it sound.

CONGRATS to the Lady Jackets. A very exciting game even though it should have never came down to the wire like it did. It appeared Parks, Fielden and Martin found their range from the 3 Point Line last night. I'm anxious to see the stats because I know the 3 point percentage had to be very good. Free throw shooting is still a problem. Although Smith missed 3 or 4 from the charity stripe, she hit her final 2 when it counted. Her and Gentry had good games on both ends of the floor. I think Gentry had 11 and Smith 13. Parks ended with 16 I think. That might be her best scoring game. I hope Coach Plemons comes up with a better way of getting the ball in when they are pressed. At one point in the 4th qtr, they were up by 12, Harriman pressed and got about 6 turnovers to turn the game around. We wont be able to make those kind of mistakes against Loudon on Friday.

I don't think that was how Coach Plemons has taught them how to beat the press. Thats just a sign of a young team, not handling pressure. Smith did a great job hitting the free throws then blocking the shot- however the last second half court shot she took was pretty funny. I'm glad the girls are starting to hit their threes, but you are right, if they can't handle Harriman's press- they won't get to half court with Loudon's.

Oh and yeah Oakdale is in a tough single A district, but Its still Oakdale and Rockwood didn't even score on them in the 1st and 4th quarters.

Any thoughts about how they will do Friday Night against Loudon? They should match up pretty well with them but I think Loudons speed and quickness could be the deciding factor. Kayla, Laura and Alisha better be in a zone if they want to keep this one close. Brooke and Tayler better be CRASHING the boards also. Katie will have her hands full trying to get the ball down the court with Loudons quickness. The girls better be alert on both sides of the ball because Loudon hustles the entire game and sneaks up on you and more often than not, creates numerous steals and turnovers.

I think the two main factors will be: Can the jackets beat the press, and can they stop Mardessa Hampton from scoring. She is faster and quicker than anyone on Kingston's team and likes to drive and push the ball. They are going to have to play their best game yet, but in the past Kingston has always played really well against Loudon for some reason.