Mt. Juliet Golden Bears Football

gator

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the emergence of Wilson Central this year in football, what is wrong with Mt. Juliet's football program? Are most of the good football players in Wilson County going to Wilson Central instead of MJ?

The ones that can play generally end up at private schools like Friendship Christian, Goodpasture and Donelson Christian or at Wilson Central. Mt. Juliet turns out good talent but usually at other schools.

The ones that can play generally end up at private schools like Friendship Christian, Goodpasture and Donelson Christian or at Wilson Central. Mt. Juliet turns out good talent but usually at other schools.

I caught all games except one this year for the Bears and there is talent here - I do not think it was utilized to the best of ability. I am a fan and supporter but I really have to question the schemes and game plans this year - Jekyll and Hyde!

Watch for improvement in '07 and especially '08 with the Bears, you have to remember that WC's creation put a hurt on the talent flow for a few years (at all three schools including Lebanon) that is just now correcting. Perhaps the mighty kitties surge (or getting competitive first) should be attributed to Coaching, all things considered!

I'll say this just once - good luck to WCHS in Regions (and beyond?)

:ph34r:

as an mj alum from the good ole days the talent was generally on the south side of I40. but this year i think coaching had a lot to do with wc's success and mj's failures. like u guys from the boro i bleed black n gold butim almost embarrased to see what has become of the bears. the pride u see being instiled in the wildcats used to be what carried the black n gold. i moved from m'boro back to mj so that my kids could attend. (i lived on lawrence ln as those of u in the boro know thats zoned for riverdale) so i could easily have had my son on a championship team. but i wanted him to learn my tradition but hey it doesn't live any more and that i think is part of the problem. i know theres always new coaches but every thing doesnt have to chang. i personnally think, and this is just me, having played there and earnd my scholarship there with the help of the coaches not in spite of them there needs to be some soul searching from both kids and coaches becuse when taught the right way football can teach more about life than the classrooms. goodluck black n gold

I agree with VolzChamps here. The privates have really hurt the program there - and now the big country boys south of I40 and in Gladeville go to WC. The privates grab a lot of the kids from wealthier families on the lake areas of MJ. They also have the unenviable position of being within 5-10 minutes from 4 privates with pretty good athletic programs - Ezell, DCA, Goodpasture, and Friendship.

As I've stated before, getting a coach in there that can turn the tide can be done. MJ baseball stunk for years (mostly all the time) because their program was looted by the privates. Countless college baseball players and several MLB draft picks. But Coach Purvis came on the scene and those kids stay to play for him now. It's proof it can be done, they just have to find the right guy to get those kids to stay. I think it will also help when they get a new school building in a few years. New facilities always seem to make parents feel better about surroundings.

Can't talk about 'em - apparently they will be raided from us by the Privates!

:D

Since the school split

2001/ 1-9

2002/ 1-9

2003/ 2-8?

2004/ 3-7?

2005/4-6

It takes time to build a school back up after a split. Remember Smyrna and Lavergne? Unfortunately, some higher up people in Wilson County don't understand that. Wilson Central didn't win a game for 2 1/2 years. Now look at them. Of course, now they have a coach that got to stay longer than one year.

I'd be interested in seeing the records for the 10-20 years before the split too. I'm guessing a lot of years hovering around .500. No doubt that Wilson Central opening hurt MJ and LHS. I think it hurt MJ much more as it seems like a majority (meaning more than 50%) of the kids at WC would have been zoned MJ before the split.

Excellent answer "developer". The split hurt MJ and LHS but it seemed to help the DCA's, Goodpasture, and Friendship as far as getting the athletes from MJ.

Edited by Volzchamps