Mt. Juliet Golden Bears Football

gator

Ok, let's go with your theory that Mt. Juliet High School is loosing kids to private schools (yes, you loose a few but everyone else does to) but you need to ask yourself a couple of questions:

I can make a stab at these since I was in that situation as were many of my friends and relatives growing up.

1. What do the private schools offer that makes kids want to leave and for parents to pay tuition?

1. Many parents wanted there children to attend for a Christian oriented education. You can't get that nowadays in public school.

2. There is definitely more one-on-one attention given to students. Speaking from my experience, I went from having roughly 40 students in a science class at a large public to about 8 in my science classes at FCS. I think there were 5 total students in my upper lever math classes as a junior and senior. My senior year, we had 8 national merit semifinalists and 2 finalists - roughly 25% of the graduating class. The public that I came from had 2 semifinalists total - that's it - from a very large school.

3. Their athletic programs tend to excel in there respective classifications. I don't remember having a losing season in anything while I was in school - let alone competing for championships and state finalist births.

4. The atmosphere fosters a better environment for parents to get involved. Almost all the parents seemed to be very involved with their kids' lives.

5. I could go on and on here, but those are just a few of the reasons why parents pay for this type of education for their kids. Personally, I would (and will) pay to give my kids an education like that.

2. If Mt. Juliet was a better school would parents not keep their kids in the public school system instead of paying tuition?

I do think some parents would keep there kids in a public that has a better school. I actually said that earlier in this discussion. Williamson Co. schools don't have any issues keeping their schools full. I said it before, but I think when MJ gets a new school you will see some of the potential private school kids stay. People like shiny new things.

Edited by tnsddeveloper

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Winfree's best coaching job was the year right after the split. He could have left and taken a higher paying job in Williamson County, but he stuck with those kids that remained at MJ. They only won 1 game (I think that's right), but they were competitive in most of the rest with a VERY limited roster. Two years after Crawford got there some were yelling again for a new coach -- they had a good one in Winfree and showed him the door.

Bring back Howell!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went to MJ also. Someone that knows anything about MJ for more than the last say 10 years......... Who is the best football coach at MJ lets say over the last 30 years?

that would be howell flatt, u can call him many things but loser wasnt one of them. but he had help, kirby and his bro. jerry wer great also.

that would be howell flatt, u can call him many things but loser wasnt one of them. but he had help, kirby and his bro. jerry wer great also.

AMEN to that brother. I didn't particularly care for Howell but the man was a winner. Jerry was a great coach and a great baseball coach, Kirby was pretty good and a good wrestling coach also.

MJ fans need to take a close look at what has happened over the years. You have never won big ( when was your last state championship in football) due to politicians and parents being involved in the program. If you decide to make a change you need to not only hire a good football coach but you have to hire a staff. When the team does not win the head coach is not the only problem you need to look at the staff. Hire your new head coach and then allow him to bring 5 assistant coaches with him if you want to win.

Edited by cbg

MJ fans need to take a close look at what has happened over the years. You have never won big ( when was your last state championship in football) due to politicians and parents being involved in the program. If you decide to make a change you need to not only hire a good football coach but you have to hire a staff. When the team does not win the head coach is not the only problem you need to look at the staff. Hire your new head coach and then allow him to bring 5 assistant coaches with him if you want to win.

The reputation on MJ football has always been that they have really good freshman teams and very average high school teams. Is this true???

I remember when Winfree took them to the semifinals against Munford. Has MJ EVER been past to the title game??

I think it could be a good job if they stay at the 4-A level.

The reputation on MJ football has always been that they have really good freshman teams and very average high school teams. Is this true???

I remember when Winfree took them to the semifinals against Munford. Has MJ EVER been past to the title game??

I think it could be a good job if they stay at the 4-A level.

The reputation on MJ football has always been they have really good freshman teams and very average varsity teams. WHY?

I remember when Winfree got to the semifinals against Munford. Is this the furthest they've ever gotten?

I think if MJ stays at the 4-A level they could be a winning program.