Mt. Juliet Golden Bears Football

gator

MJ fans need to take a close look at what has happened over the years. You have never won big ( when was your last state championship in football) due to politicians and parents being involved in the program. If you decide to make a change you need to not only hire a good football coach but you have to hire a staff. When the team does not win the head coach is not the only problem you need to look at the staff. Hire your new head coach and then allow him to bring 5 assistant coaches with him if you want to win.

yes but when its more important to play ur son at quarterback than to play the best its the coaches faultfor not doing whats best for the team

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reputation on MJ football has always been that they have really good freshman teams and very average high school teams. Is this true???

I remember when Winfree took them to the semifinals against Munford. Has MJ EVER been past to the title game??

I think it could be a good job if they stay at the 4-A level.

i dont know if this matters much but way back before there were facemask (80's) MJ was one of the top programs in the state only team better was gallatin and they were in the same district. at the time it was know as the toughest in the state.

The reputation on MJ football has always been they have really good freshman teams and very average varsity teams. WHY?

I remember when Winfree got to the semifinals against Munford. Is this the furthest they've ever gotten?

I think if MJ stays at the 4-A level they could be a winning program.

I think MJs stay in 4A will probably be short lived. The MJ area is growing enormously population-wise and I don't seem them being able to avoid moving back to 5A in 4 years. There enrollment is already growing and they have a new school building on the way. With that growth, they have the opportunity to build a great program. They just have to do it the right way.

I think you're right about the semifinals though. I think the semifinals is the furtherest they have ever been. I'm not sure they ever got that far before - they may have, but I'm not sure.

Edited by tnsddeveloper

They lost in the semi-finals five or six years ago. Easily the farthest they had ever been. They routinely finished 2nd to Gallatin during the Calvin Short years at GHS

I tried to tell you in an earlier post that Mt. Juliet has never been a big time school for football. The school board, parents, athletes & teachers have never been willing to make the sacrafices necessary to build a program. Mt. Juliet has a football team but they have never had a program. If you want a program you need to go and hire (this will not be cheap) a top coach from another state (he will not have any preconceived ideas) like Texas, Georgia, Florida, etc... and allow the man to bring a staff of 5 or 6 assistant coaches with him. After doing this get out of his way and give him 4 or 5 years to implement his program and get everyone including the community on the same page.

I tried to tell you in an earlier post that Mt. Juliet has never been a big time school for football. The school board, parents, athletes & teachers have never been willing to make the sacrafices necessary to build a program. Mt. Juliet has a football team but they have never had a program. If you want a program you need to go and hire (this will not be cheap) a top coach from another state (he will not have any preconceived ideas) like Texas, Georgia, Florida, etc... and allow the man to bring a staff of 5 or 6 assistant coaches with him. After doing this get out of his way and give him 4 or 5 years to implement his program and get everyone including the community on the same page.

I don't think anyone disagreed with you that their program was ever a great one. I do agree that they all need to get on the same page and make a major commitment if they ever want to win consistently. I don't know about hiring someone from out of state, but a solid coach and staff is needed for sure.

Any news from you Mt. Juliet guys on the new head coach at Mt. Juliet Christian Academy?

They may have a tough time filling that job. I see a new college graduate maybe ... but I'm definitely not an expert at much of anything. Maybe someone that hasn't really coached football before and wants the opportunity. It's tough for them to compete with the other private schools around them - DCA, FCS, Ezell, Goodpasture - because they all have nice campuses and facilities dedicated to their student bodies. MJCA students attend school in the back Sunday school classrooms at the MJ First Baptist Church. It makes attracting top notch students, athletes, teachers, etc. tough for them. The church has an enormous amount of land there. I think they would have a great little private school (one day) if they did a fundraising effort and built a building specifically for their students - maybe just the junior and senior highs anyway.

I can make a stab at these since I was in that situation as were many of my friends and relatives growing up.

1. Many parents wanted there children to attend for a Christian oriented education. You can't get that nowadays in public school.

2. There is definitely more one-on-one attention given to students. Speaking from my experience, I went from having roughly 40 students in a science class at a large public to about 8 in my science classes at FCS. I think there were 5 total students in my upper lever math classes as a junior and senior. My senior year, we had 8 national merit semifinalists and 2 finalists - roughly 25% of the graduating class. The public that I came from had 2 semifinalists total - that's it - from a very large school.

3. Their athletic programs tend to excel in there respective classifications. I don't remember having a losing season in anything while I was in school - let alone competing for championships and state finalist births.

4. The atmosphere fosters a better environment for parents to get involved. Almost all the parents seemed to be very involved with their kids' lives.

5. I could go on and on here, but those are just a few of the reasons why parents pay for this type of education for their kids. Personally, I would (and will) pay to give my kids an education like that.

I do think some parents would keep there kids in a public that has a better school. I actually said that earlier in this discussion. Williamson Co. schools don't have any issues keeping their schools full. I said it before, but I think when MJ gets a new school you will see some of the potential private school kids stay. People like shiny new things.

when is the new high school scheduled to be completed? will they do it right or will they tend to cut corners as usual? what kind of facilities will be given to the football team?