Where's the Sportsmanship?

BUC4LIFE

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I said this before on another thread and I'll say it again.

Okay - I have kept quiet long enough.

First of all - there are a few folks obviously from TC that are acting like real jerks. I love to talk the trash as much as anyone but a couple of idiots are posting like crazy on this thread that do not represent the majority of TC fans.

Secondly, like the score or not, the coach put the freshmen and sophomores in the first quarter. These boys could and would not lay down and not perform. In TC playing football means playing hard and giving it your best always - period. So to expect these kids not to play well is absurd.

Thirdly, this game is over and done. The Temple vs Trousdale County game is all that matters this week. I am sure I speak for most of the TC fans that we have nothing but respect for Temple or any team that makes the playoffs. We look forward to a great ball game without injuries and may the better team prevail. I also wish all the Temple visitors a safe trip both here and on their return.

Lastly, I am a Trousdale County Yellow Jacket Fan through and through. I wear my purple shirt every Friday and I think my blood even runs PURPLE. I grew up in TC, graduated from TC high school, and raise my family in TC. There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing your support for your school and having pride in your team. Also, there is nothing wrong with a lot of good trash talk when it is done in fun. But could we ALL leave the the absolute garbage (name calling, judging and forming opinions about things you know nothing about, and stupidity) off the threads. We (or at least I thought) are all here to poke some fun at each other and support our boys on Friday nights.

Now - I fell better.

How 'bout this for sportsmanship?

This will tell you what kind of character the coach of TC has.

Why didn't he send games tapes?? Is this being a bad sport??

This article was right on the front page of the Weekend Blitz sports page in the Chattanooga Times-Free Press this morning.

The article is by Steve Hargis (Prep Editor) of the TFP:

Film trouble:Temple faces No. 1 team sans (without) preview

It may be the most horrifying thing on video since “The Exorcist.” Then again, the Tennessee Temple High School football team never got the chance to watch it.

Then again, there are some videos — “Caddyshack II” — you just don’t want to see.

Temple coach Kevin Skogen was never able to contact the coaches at Trousdale County to trade tapes, and therefore he has not previewed what the Crusaders will face tonight in the first round of the Class 1A playoffs.

Top-ranked Trousdale (10-0), which has won five state championships, hammered

hapless Red Boiling Springs 91-0 in last week’s regular-season finale and has an average victory margin of 46-5 this year.

“I was disappointed that they never contacted us to swap films,” Skogen said. “I’ve spoken to several teams who played against them to get as much information as I could, and the bottom line is we know very well what they’re going to do and we can’t stop it. We’re just hoping to match them score for score.

“When some of our kids saw that score, they were like, ‘Oh, my goodness.’ I’ve been told that Trousdale has a history of running it up like that to make a point to anybody who will play them in the future. If we show up intimidated, we’ll lose badly.”

The Yellow Jackets moved back down to 1A this year after four successful years

in 3A, never missing the playoffs during that time. They have taken a lot of negative statewide publicity for the severe beating of a Red Boiling Springs

team that has lost 30 straight games and lost by an average of 51-8 this year. Trousdale, which has not given up more than 12 points all season, was up 63-0 by halftime last week.

“They have more athletes, bigger kids, and they’re supposed to win it all this

year,” said Skogen, whose team averages 32 points per game. “I don’t know

if there are any 1A teams that can line up with them, period. There’s not a piece

missing in their puzzle, from everything I’ve been told.

“Our kids don’t look at trips like this the same way some teams would. They

get into these type atmospheres because they think it’s what high school football

is all about. If we can do the things we do well, we have a chance to have some

fun while we’re up there.”

Just about everyone in region 3-1a had some kind of trouble getting film from Temple.

Edited by possum

even bigger flaw in your retort, i never justified the play calling or the score and i never blamed the clock on any of the players(obvious coach's decision), im just saying that people are using this score(and i have already made clear that i dont agree with it) as the newest starting point in a arguement against clint, and dont think your the only person thats "been there" i played in games were i was told to punt on 1st and ten(id rather a team beat me 1091-0 than punt it back to me on 1st nd ten), also a football player (especially a freshman) should never be told to lay down, not after working hard all season, getting whipped by 1st team just to be sent out on the field and told to lay down. i dont blame rbs for anything i played them and i have a great deal of respect for them, but that doesnt change the writing on the wall, for heavans sake the line was TC by 84 this was going to happen, im not boasting in fact im ashamed of the things alot of people from trousdale have posted on here but that still doesnt change the fact that when teams of such different caliburs meet this is the result, finally 1 more time so you get it, i dont agree with the late in the game play calling. that said. what do you think the score was going to be 14-12, in all actuallity on paper and on the field trousdale is probably pretty close to being 12 to thirteen touchdowns better than rbs but that doesnt mean they had to put on the board :thumb:

Sorry to be so late in replying but take your own advice. I never said you justified the score. And I never said for the kids to "lay down". I assumed you knew what I meant by Dive play which is simply the QB handing off to a running back and the line blocking straight ahead and let the defense deal with it. My experience in this area was as a coach and not a player although I dead play for many years.

Sorry to be so late in replying but take your own advice. I never said you justified the score. And I never said for the kids to "lay down". I assumed you knew what I meant by Dive play which is simply the QB handing off to a running back and the line blocking straight ahead and let the defense deal with it. My experience in this area was as a coach and not a player although I dead play for many years.

And what if those dive plays result in a 30 or 40 or 60 or 70 yard run for a TD?

I don't care what any of y'all say Coach Clint had his youngest.... most inexperienced players in about the middle of the first quarter.... I know that everyone has been saying "well.... why did you pass the ball you could have just ran it"...... truth is that we have enough kids out hurt... we don't need anymore out! And another thing..... is it really TC's fault that RBS is that bad..... Coach is doing what he has to do to make his boys sucessful and I admire and respect him for that!

And what if those dive plays result in a 30 or 40 or 60 or 70 yard run for a TD?

So be it. But they are not trap plays or pass plays or buck sweeps. the formation is not designed to spread out the defense, etc. I was involved in a game as a coach where a guard was put in as the running back and he scored a 55 yord touchdown. So you are right it can happen. But 95 % of the Dive plays were stopped and the clock only stopped when the chains were moved which was usually about every three plays and then restarted before the snap. A dropped pass as you know stopps the clock and if I read correctly they did drop some in the second half.

I don't care what any of y'all say Coach Clint had his youngest.... most inexperienced players in about the middle of the first quarter.... I know that everyone has been saying "well.... why did you pass the ball you could have just ran it"...... truth is that we have enough kids out hurt... we don't need anymore out! And another thing..... is it really TC's fault that RBS is that bad..... Coach is doing what he has to do to make his boys sucessful and I admire and respect him for that!

Your telling me you can get hurt easier by running up the middle than a swing pass to the outside with player in full speed hitting you????? Another crazy excuse!

"The answers to these questions will determine your success or failure.

1) Can people trust me to do what's right?

2) Am I committed to doing my best?

3) Do I care about other people and show it?

If the answers to these questions are yes, there is no way you can fail."

--- Lou Holtz

What Is Sportsmanship?

Sportsmanship is defined as:

-- playing fair

-- following the rules of the game

-- respecting the judgment of referees and officials

-- treating opponents with respect

There are those that define good sportsmanship as the "golden rule" of sports - in other words, treating your teammates and your opponent the way you would want to be treated. Demonstrating good sportsmanship is when you show respect for yourself, your teammates, and your opponents, for the coaches on both sides, and for the referees, judges, and other officials.

When you win, the hard part is to be a gracious and generous winner. Being a person of character and showing good sportsmanship means acknowledging victories without humiliating opponents, being quietly proud of success, and letting victories speak for themselves. Even if you win by a landslide, good sportsmanship means still finding ways to compliment your opponents.

We all know that most high school football players won't go on to play college or professional sports. And there are many players who forget to have a good time during the years they do play because they're so focused on winning. And, unfortunately, parents and coaches sometimes put too much pressure on athletes, emphasizing winning at all costs. So although it's great to be a champion, it's even better to have enjoyed the process of trying to get to the top. I think a good rule of thumb for those who play the game is that it's always best to play fair while having fun.

"One man practicing good sportsmanship is far better than 50 others preaching it."

--- Knute K. Rockne

(3) The second half consisted of 21 offensive plays by TC, 15 rushing for 149 yards and 2 of 6 passing for 50 yards. The 15 rushing plays had 4 carries of more than 20 yards.

(5) This whole fiasco seemed to start because of the 47 yard TD pass. It was a flair pass on 4th down completed behind the LOS and run 47 yards. Basically a rushing play.

Just want to point out a few things! At halftime the score was 63-0, how do you justify throwing the ball 6 times in the 2nd half?

A 47 yard TD pass on 4th down? Why was TC not punting?

"The answers to these questions will determine your success or failure.

1) Can people trust me to do what's right?

2) Am I committed to doing my best?

3) Do I care about other people and show it?

If the answers to these questions are yes, there is no way you can fail."

--- Lou Holtz

What Is Sportsmanship?

Sportsmanship is defined as:

-- playing fair

-- following the rules of the game

-- respecting the judgment of referees and officials

-- treating opponents with respect

There are those that define good sportsmanship as the "golden rule" of sports - in other words, treating your teammates and your opponent the way you would want to be treated. Demonstrating good sportsmanship is when you show respect for yourself, your teammates, and your opponents, for the coaches on both sides, and for the referees, judges, and other officials.

When you win, the hard part is to be a gracious and generous winner. Being a person of character and showing good sportsmanship means acknowledging victories without humiliating opponents, being quietly proud of success, and letting victories speak for themselves. Even if you win by a landslide, good sportsmanship means still finding ways to compliment your opponents.

We all know that most high school football players won't go on to play college or professional sports. And there are many players who forget to have a good time during the years they do play because they're so focused on winning. And, unfortunately, parents and coaches sometimes put too much pressure on athletes, emphasizing winning at all costs. So although it's great to be a champion, it's even better to have enjoyed the process of trying to get to the top. I think a good rule of thumb for those who play the game is that it's always best to play fair while having fun.

"One man practicing good sportsmanship is far better than 50 others preaching it."

--- Knute K. Rockne

Great Post! ;)

Edited by gotmilk?