Mark Wattenbarger resigns

Jet Pride

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is interesting! Do you mean a total of 7-10 coaches or 7-10 for each job. It sounds like local area people must realize that the job is not a great one to have despite some of the nice facilities.

New up-date My friend up in Crossville says that an administrator told him,

that there was about thirty coaches have applied.This is for both jobs he thinks.

2 local coaches have applied.1 is from coach watt's staff.Told me that The principle's

had to be named before the interviews can take place.Maybe the first of Jan.

before this happens.

I hope the people involved with the hiring think about hiring a young enthusiastic coach someone who will get out in the halls at the school and recruit players to play football. There are way to many kids at Crossville that dont play any sports at all. I would like to see them hire new blood into the program it does not have to be someone with head coaching experience just someone who knows the game and is willing to work hard to bring this program back to the top

They definately should try to find someone who can get the kids out....but that is not as easily done as said. Many students do not have the desire and discipline to play sports. I also agree that the head coach doesn't necessarily need head coaching experience but for a 5A program it is not an easy transition from assistant to head coach and many times especially with a program is down it becomes too much for a new coach. "Coaching is the easy part" is the quote that many big school coaches give me.

I hope the people involved with the hiring think about hiring a young enthusiastic coach someone who will get out in the halls at the school and recruit players to play football. There are way to many kids at Crossville that dont play any sports at all. I would like to see them hire new blood into the program it does not have to be someone with head coaching experience just someone who knows the game and is willing to work hard to bring this program back to the top

I would like to know what you mean back to the top. As far as I know the only time they were on top or had good records consistently was in the 60's when they played very small schools around them. Since classifications started sometime in the 70's they have only achieved back to back winning seasons once, and that was in 81 & 82. Vanwinkle and Wattenbarger are the only two that have sniffed a region championship or taken them to the playoffs. I also agree with getright that alot of kids don't want to to what it takes to be competitive year in and year out. they want to play, but not prepare to play. I think some people have skewed opinions of the talent level in Crossville.

observer good post! the talent pool in Crossville is shallow and Coach Wattenbarger did an admirable job and had some very competitive teams. That should not be downplayed and he is definately in no way to blame for the lean years they have experienced.

I agree, the talent level and the numbers have been down. Last yr was the only yr that he had a better team than the record showed.

Ok who is going to get this job! Things in Cumberland County should really get interesting with the hiring of 2 head coaches and the separation of assistants. My understanding is that there weren't very many to begin with and now that number will be cut in half? Are there going to be twice as many teaching openings due to the opening of another school or will the faculty basically be cut in half?