Mark Wattenbarger resigns

Jet Pride

WATTENBARGER RESIGNS AS JETS FOOTBALL COACH

When the Cumberland County School System starts their search for a new head football coach for Stone Memorial High School in two months, they will also be searching for a new head football coach for Cumberland County High School. According to school officials today, Coach Mark Wattenbarger has submitted his letter of resignation as head football coach of the Jets. A meeting was set for this morning where the letter was accepted. Wattenbarger finished the latest football season with 2 wins and 8 losses.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

being an old jet but not getting to see them very much but keeping up with them for the last twenty years I for one hate to see him go. Since he's been there at least there was a reason to keep up with the jets. I can't say that for anyone else since Coach Vanwinkle. When he arrived they had only one winning record in since 1982 and only one playoff appearance in school history. I dare say since classifications started he has the second best winning percentage in school history, took them to more playoff appearances than anybody else and probably as many wins as anyone. Tied for a region championship in 2002(only one other district championship in 1982 was also a tie but won the tiebreaker) if not for a fluke play in the 98 playoffs against eventual state champions Oakland would have probably beat them Oakland never had another close game en route to state championship.

Coach good luck wherever you end up and thanks for making jet football interesting again!!!

being an old jet but not getting to see them very much but keeping up with them for the last twenty years I for one hate to see him go. Since he's been there at least there was a reason to keep up with the jets. I can't say that for anyone else since Coach Vanwinkle. When he arrived they had only one winning record in since 1982 and only one playoff appearance in school history. I dare say since classifications started he has the second best winning percentage in school history, took them to more playoff appearances than anybody else and probably as many wins as anyone. Tied for a region championship in 2002(only one other district championship in 1982 was also a tie but won the tiebreaker) if not for a fluke play in the 98 playoffs against eventual state champions Oakland would have probably beat them Oakland never had another close game en route to state championship.

Coach good luck wherever you end up and thanks for making jet football interesting again!!!

The class of 82 out right won thier dist.9-1 lost one dist. game all other teams lost

two cchs needed help the last week East ridge beat Red Bank two give cchs the dist title.If anyone says difffernt they are wrong.Hate too see coach watt leave

But thats football in Cumberland Co.Who r possible replacements?

New high school will have a huge impact on local athletics

In the fall of 2006, Stone Memorial High School is scheduled to open, and I have been questioned by many people on what to expect in athletics.

According to information supplied by the BOE, the estimated enrollment will between 850-925 students for the first year, with SMHS officially being admitted into the TSSAA on Nov. 14.

Based on TSSAA classifications for 2005-2009, SMHS would be Class AAA in football and Class AA for other sports (basketball, baseball, softball, tennis, cross country, golf, tennis and track and field

Stone would probably play junior varsity and/or freshmen schedules next season, and play a full schedule in 2007-'08. If there is a 20 percent increase in enrollment, they could jump to 4-A for 2007-'09

In 2009, the TSSAA will realign all schools.

Stone Memorial could request to become a member of Region 2, District 4-2A with Anderson County, Kingston, CAK, Knox Catholic, Loudon and Scott County for all sports for the 2006-'07 season

They could ask to be a member of Region 2-3A in football with Anderson County, Knox Fulton, Austin-East, Livingston, Knox Catholic, Kingston and Scott County.

Becoming a member of a region to the east allows easier travel utilizing the interstate. It allows students to gain an hour traveling home from away games during the week.

Stone Memorial would be eligible to compete for state championships during the 2006-'07 school in all sports except football.

All football schedules are made for two consecutive years and started with the fall of 2005. New schedules will be made statewide for the 2007 school year in late 2006.

The football schedule for year one will consist of junior varsity contests that may take place on Friday nights.

New high school will have a huge impact on local athletics

In the fall of 2006, Stone Memorial High School is scheduled to open, and I have been questioned by many people on what to expect in athletics.

According to information supplied by the BOE, the estimated enrollment will between 850-925 students for the first year, with SMHS officially being admitted into the TSSAA on Nov. 14.

Based on TSSAA classifications for 2005-2009, SMHS would be Class AAA in football and Class AA for other sports (basketball, baseball, softball, tennis, cross country, golf, tennis and track and field

Stone would probably play junior varsity and/or freshmen schedules next season, and play a full schedule in 2007-'08. If there is a 20 percent increase in enrollment, they could jump to 4-A for 2007-'09

In 2009, the TSSAA will realign all schools.

Stone Memorial could request to become a member of Region 2, District 4-2A with Anderson County, Kingston, CAK, Knox Catholic, Loudon and Scott County for all sports for the 2006-'07 season

They could ask to be a member of Region 2-3A in football with Anderson County, Knox Fulton, Austin-East, Livingston, Knox Catholic, Kingston and Scott County.

Becoming a member of a region to the east allows easier travel utilizing the interstate. It allows students to gain an hour traveling home from away games during the week.

Stone Memorial would be eligible to compete for state championships during the 2006-'07 school in all sports except football.

All football schedules are made for two consecutive years and started with the fall of 2005. New schedules will be made statewide for the 2007 school year in late 2006.

The football schedule for year one will consist of junior varsity contests that may take place on Friday nights.

Hope Cumberland County High will still keep their games with Cookeville & Sparta.(football)

Old rivals that go way back.

They may not though,especially Cookeville,and I don't guess I would blame them.

Something will happen in Cookeville in the next 5 years too.They have topped 2,000 students now & are out of room.

Maybe Algood High School(again),I don't know.

THE SQUAD :thumb:

Edited by THE SQUAD

Search Begins For Head Football Coaches For CCHS and SMHS

With the resignation of Coach Wattenbarger from the head football coach position at Cumberland County High School , the search begins for head football coaches for both Cumberland County high schools. Director of Schools, Dr. Pattie Ragsdale stated that both jobs are currently posted on the TSSAA website, and that the positions will also be posted locally. Both she and Principal Roger Eichelberger will be screening the positions carefully, in order to hire the best 2 possible applicants for CCHS and Stone Memorial High School. Anyone interested in the position of head football coach for Cumberland County High Schools should contact Mr. Chris King, Human Resource Director.