Oldest Tourny in TN

PUMMELKING

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Ryan started their tournament in 1969, the current Catholic Invitational started as the Carter invitational and when Coach Dugger became Karns' Coach the tournament went with him and became the Bever Creek tournament and when he retired it became the Catholic Invitational... and the only team to participate in that tournament in all of its locations from the beginning is Baylor. Does anyone when the Carter tournament started?

John Farr's Red Bank tournament in 1968 followed him to Chattanooga Central. It has been held countinuously since, with the exception of one snow-out (possibly two). The next invitational was initiated December of 1969 at Maplewood which followed GP West to Hillwood, then Whites Creek, then Brentwood and has run uninterrupted since its beginning. The Father Ryan Tournament was first held in January of 1970 and has been held uninterrupted since its beginning. Some oldtime wrestling fans may be confusing the Ryan Tournament with the NIL Tournament which was held at Ryan at least once, maybe twice, from 1966 through 1969.

To restate:

1968-69 Red Bank Inv./ 1969-70 moved to Chattanooga Central/ It continues.

1969-70 (Dec.) Maplewood Inv./ 1970-71 moved to Hillwood/ 1980-81 moved to Whites Creek/ 1987-88 moved to Brentwood High (GP West)/ It continues.

1969-70 (Jan.) Father Ryan Inv./ It continues.

I believe John Gorham started the Bellevue Tournament in the early '70s. It continued there until Bellevue students, wrestling program, and wrestling coach moved to Hillwood in 1980-81, at which time the Bellevue Tournament replaced the original Hillwood Tournament.

The Overton Tournament was initiated a year or so after Ronnie Carter became the coach which, I believe, was near the mid-1970s.

There may have been other tournaments in the early to mid-70s, but none that I'm aware of that have been held annually since that time to the present time.

Edited by delaWarr

The Carter tournament was started by Coach Gary Walker in 1975 moved to Karns in 1984 and to Catholic in 2000. Greeneville High School to my knowledge has not not missed a tournament since it began. But I believe that John Farr's Tournament, Chattanooga Central, is the oldest. Clint Should know.