Knox Central vs. Maryville

FBEmeritus

somebody reliable said it on rebelsnation, i cant prove it, personally, i think they will score, but not much, maybe 13

I heard the interview. In talking of the last game he mentioned how well the defense played and basically said if we don't turn the ball over they possibly don't score on us. He made absolutely no predictions about the upcoming game.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering why you thought coach Helton was worth 7 points. You wrote it so I'd just like to hear what you've got to say. In depth. Seems to me Central plays Maryville better than ANY other team in the state. Have you been attending these games for the last 6 or 7 years ? As I recall there have been only two that were not close and neither of them were play-off games. Playing at Maryville is great and we feel at home there. Check your history and you'll see how many times we've played there since 1996. Back to the original point. I really want you to go in depht about your statement on coach Helton.

Look at the overall record cat. This isn't a rivalry no matter how bad y'all want it to be until you put more W's up in your column. Talk all you want about "playing MHS best or close". What does it matter when your record against MHS is 12-4?

Alcoa has a better winning percentage against the Rebels!! That's a school with less than 400 kids cat. Heck, Austin East has a WINNING record vs. MHS and their a 3A school!!

Yep, these are always great games, no doubt. If that's your point, I agree. But don't try to say your on MHS's level or you play at MHS's level, because YOU DO NOT. Here's a quick list of schools that DO play at the Rebel's level: Alcoa, Riverdale, MBA, Oak Ridge, Huntingdon, Fulton (until this year).

Also, if you WERE to win Friday, you STILL have a long way to go to start talkin "at our level". That bobcat hair koolaid is starting to get to you....

Look at the overall record cat. This isn't a rivalry no matter how bad y'all want it to be until you put more W's up in your column. Talk all you want about "playing MHS best or close". What does it matter when your record against MHS is 12-4?

Alcoa has a better winning percentage against the Rebels!! That's a school with less than 400 kids cat. Heck, Austin East has a WINNING record vs. MHS and their a 3A school!!

Yep, these are always great games, no doubt. If that's your point, I agree. But don't try to say your on MHS's level or you play at MHS's level, because YOU DO NOT. Here's a quick list of schools that DO play at the Rebel's level: Alcoa, Riverdale, MBA, Oak Ridge, Huntingdon, Fulton (until this year).

Also, if you WERE to win Friday, you STILL have a long way to go to start talkin "at our level". That bobcat hair koolaid is starting to get to you....

I agree with this post as I have the same thoughts. Another point not mentioned is the katz normally plays Maryville tough during the regular season, but at play-off time Maryville has ruled the day/night so to speak. I don't have my references in front of me right now but Maryville has been able to dominate central during the play offs many times in the past. During the GQ era I think Central has only beat Maryville once during the play offs.

Nation I was looking at your web page some and noticed you’re voting for defensive player of the game. One kid you do not have up there, and seems to be slighted but played huge vs. Powell is the Killebrew kid. He has had a very good senior season and is like 4th or 5th in total team tackles again this year. Not the best around but a solid performer who plays hard every down.

I'm looking for a 14 point Maryville win at the "Skeeter" Friday night.

Offensive POW is easier. The kids that score and cause scores are gonna be on the list...simple. Defense is more difficult. I gotta write names down that make big plays as we go. Your welcome to email me or post me some names for consideration. I welcome help. ;) No intentional slight at all. Also, the junior he shares time with has won the Def POW like 5 times. That hasn't helped.

I was thinking to myself Friday nite that I'm getting in a rut of the same 5 to 10 names on defense, BUT those 5 to 10 names make the most plays. I though Brinkman was a nice addition to that list. Bowman actually won the offensive POW last week.

I will watch John Friday nite...

Edited by Rebel Nation

Okay-enough. Reb Nation, we're buddies, but to think that Central is not an elite 4A school is not right. I'll give Maryville all the props in the world. They have been the best 4a school in the state over the last several years. NO doubt!! Keep in mind that Central did play for a state title a few years ago. But to say that Central is not in the class of schools you mentioned is nuts. Please, the Cats couldn't play with Huntingdon, AE, Fulton or Alcoa? Those schools have recently played in or won a title in their division. They are good programs with lots of success. You don't think that Central could beat any of those? Come on. Central, as is Maryville, MoWest, Hillsboro, Melrose, Memphis East and JCM at the top of the food chain in 4A. Check the records. You could drop any of those schools in any 5A region and they are all regular playoff teams.

I will agree that Central needs to win some to make this rivalry closer.

FBE, as far as the scores of the regular season games vs the playoff games, it is usually the playoff games that have the closer scores. Most of the games in the playoffs have been very close, while there have been a couple of lopsided regular season games. Last year was a prime example, with Maryville winning easily in the regular season, and the playoff game going down to the last minute. Also, you keep saying that Central plays a bunch of kids both ways. Just to let you know, that statement needs some clarification. The kids on the O line, just play on the O line. The only time that Crowder or Gaddis play on the D line is when they want to get bigger in short yardage situations. Crowder may play 4-5 snaps on D. Dyer plays at FB and DE but not to the point that he doesn't come out of the game. Central has many offensive sets and there are many series when he is not in. They also rotate him in and out on D. The same thing applies to Nance. Adkins, Cruze, Helton, Waddell and Gaston rotate around as Dbacks or safties. They all get breaks. Central is very deep at reciever, so they have even more players at that position to share the load.

This is going to be a heck of game Friday nite.

Also, congrats to Lonas Seiber on his scholly to UT.

Also, congrats to Lonas Seiber on his scholly to UT.

Absolutely, medman. It's good to see Lonas get that opportunity. He certainly does have tremendous ability, and from what i've heard he is a great young man, too.

I've met some of the Maryville guys who are regular posters here. I'd like to meet some of you Central guys if you are going to be at the game on Friday, which I have a feeling that you will.

Shoot me a private message and let me know where we might hook up on Friday.

Let's analyze that statement just a little bit:

"didn't think...wouldn't score" - That's a double negative. If that's how he said it (and I doubt that it was, as he is an educated and eloquent man), then what it clearly means is that he does not think we will hold Central scoreless. The two negative contractions work just like mathematics to create a positive statement (just like -2 x -2 = 4).

GQ would never offer up such locker room poster board material, nor would he or any of the Rebel faithful be so foolish as to truly suspect that Central will not find a way to get some points on the board.

I agree it does not sound like something he "GQ" would say but I did hear the same thing but do not beleave he would say that.

My prediction is whoever makes the least amount of turnovers will win, or the game will be decieded by one big play.

Edited by bobcat4life

All the games with Central other than the regular season games in '97, 2001, and 2004 have been close games.

As medman said Central is playing more kids this year. I think it helps them. Maryville plays Tucker and Smith both ways up front this year because they are just too good to leave on the sidelines half the time. However, they rotate all those guys through with Cable and A.J. and they keep everyone fresh at DT.

Central has some good people, with my bud Snapper being at the top of that list. Snap loves the Bobcats and the Vols. Snap always invites me up to the Central pressbox to eat. Their pressbox spread is somewhat reminiscent of our own Big John's tailgate groceries. They both know how to get 'er done.

I don't know, but I think one kid who could have a big bearing on this game who didn't play against Central the first time is Curtis Tate. Curtis is a great athlete, and against Central you can't have enough athletes running around on the field.

I agree it does not sound like something he "GQ" would say but I did hear the same thing but do not beleave he would say that.

My prediction is whoever makes the least amount of turnovers will win, or the game will be decieded by one big play.

Wow , very subdued there bobcat ! ;) Come on , tell us how you really feel !!

I'm looking forward to another great football game between two great teams . Is Helton going to be 100% by game time ?? I hope he is , and i also hope no one else gets injured this week . Maryville has lost one senior linebacker for the year , and another senior linebacker has been battling injuries all year . It's a shame for any of these young men to have to miss out on something as special as playing high school football . Playing high school football brings memories that last a lifetime . Hopefully they will be good memories for all involved .