Playoff brackets

topnight

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The TSSAA is looking at changing the playoff brackets back to the way it was in the early 90's where the same regions did not meet until the 3rd or 4th rounds. What are your thoughts?

TSSAA is meeting this week. Nov 13th

schools will scream bloody murder if they go back to that format for those of you who don't remember that format here is a example of what the 2nd round bracket might look like

ooltewah at wilson central

smyrna at oak ridge

farragut at cookville

sevier co at riverdale

millington at gallatin

brentwood at ridgeway

white station at ravenwood

franklin at germantown

can you say travel expense nightmare

schools will scream bloody murder if they go back to that format for those of you who don't remember that format here is a example of what the 2nd round bracket might look like

smyrna at oak ridge

farragut at cookville

sevier co at riverdale

millington at gallatin

brentwood at ridgeway

franklin at germantown

Its not really that bad, it cant be any worse than a team like soddy-daisy or ooltewah traveling to dobyns bennet which is 4 hrs away it just gives more of an advantage to the home team and thats the way it should be, teams work all year to get home field advantage why should they not be rewarded?

smyrna at oak ridge

farragut at cookville

sevier co at riverdale

millington at gallatin

brentwood at ridgeway

franklin at germantown

I would hope they would look hard before doing anything like that,just from a expence standpoint,not only from team standpoint but also from a parent standpoint as well.

One thing they could do is require a team to have a winning record to qualify for the playoffs. Then only have two teams from each region. Cuts expenses and culls the dead wood out.

Won't happen though because the T$$AA would lose too much money.

Personally I'd like to go back. You wouldn't have to replay someone you've already played. You also wouldn't have two contenders for a championship elimating each other early in the playoffs. Look at some of the early playoffs games.

Edited by bounder

Nope crc just hate tp see high school kids practice all summer long then play for 15 weeks to get to the championship game. Too much chance of one getting hurt when they get tired and banged up. And of course if you let everybody play it could go on till spring. You have to stop somewhere and two playoff games sounds good to me. I'll give up one great upset to have a shorter season. I guess that falls under the saying stuff happens.

I would like to see the old format brought back. Currently you have strong regions basically eliminate each other by Round 3 such that there is only one standing. It would be nice to have the system similar to TSSAA soccer, where two teams from the same region could technically meet each other in the final.

One thing they could do is require a team to have a winning record to qualify for the playoffs. Then only have two teams from each region. Cuts expenses and culls the dead wood out.

Won't happen though because the T$$AA would lose too much money.

Personally I'd like to go back. You wouldn't have to replay someone you've already played. You also wouldn't have two contenders for a championship elimating each other early in the playoffs. Look at some of the early playoffs games.

I like this idea. This would put more emphasis on the regular season games. As it is right now, theoreticly, a team could be 2-8 in the regular season, and still have a shot of winning state. Make the teams play all year long, and not just the last 5 weeks. Also, when 32 teams go to the playoffs, that means that 31 teams, will end their season with a loss. Have the top 2 from each region go to the playoffs, and then schedule more bowl games to give some of the good 3rd and 4th place teams a postseason game.