Upperman High School

Sweep Left

A family I know is moving to Putnam Co. They were asking me about Upperman High School for their daughter to play b-ball. I know they have a new school and are normally competitive in their district. Can someone tell me what the kids are like there and how's the academics? Are they going to continue being successful in athletics? As you can imagine, the parents are concerned. Thank you

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A family I know is moving to Putnam Co. They were asking me about Upperman High School for their daughter to play b-ball. I know they have a new school and are normally competitive in their district. Can someone tell me what the kids are like there and how's the academics? Are they going to continue being successful in athletics? As you can imagine, the parents are concerned. Thank you

They should check out Jackson County if they plan on playing basketball......

Regardless of where they intend to move within the county, they should know that Putnam County has no school zoning, so she could attend any one of three fine high schools. One in each classification:

Monterey A

Upperman AA

Cookeville AAA

Upperman girls basketball has been very competitive for a long time. Yes, they are in a very strong district with Jackson Co. and Livingston Academy always being strong. York will be good this year as well. The Bees more than hold their own. They have had several trips to the state tournament in the last 6-8 years. Cannon County also has a history of fine girls basketball.

Upperman is still a rural-type school although not quite like Monterey. The area is growing fast. I see new subdivisions going up all along the highway 70 side of Baxter. The lake side of the interstate is still farm-dominated. Good communtiy school. Cookeville is very overcrowded at this point with 2000 students, but Mr. Shanks keeps it in line. Look for a new high school to be built, probably on the Algood side within about 5 years.

No, I am not from Baxter, but I do spend a great deal of time there now. Hope this helps.

Upperman girls basketball has been very competitive for a long time. Yes, they are in a very strong district with Jackson Co. and Livingston Academy always being strong. York will be good this year as well. The Bees more than hold their own. They have had several trips to the state tournament in the last 6-8 years. Cannon County also has a history of fine girls basketball.

Upperman is still a rural-type school although not quite like Monterey. The area is growing fast. I see new subdivisions going up all along the highway 70 side of Baxter. The lake side of the interstate is still farm-dominated. Good communtiy school. Cookeville is very overcrowded at this point with 2000 students, but Mr. Shanks keeps it in line. Look for a new high school to be built, probably on the Algood side within about 5 years.

No, I am not from Baxter, but I do spend a great deal of time there now. Hope this helps.

jackson co. is not in our district anymore. they dropped to single A. the bees will be battling us for the district this year. they have a great basketball program. respected all through the state.

I agree, I think yall have a real good shot this year Sleep. From what i hear yall are playing a whole different type of ball this year. Hope your sisters have a good year except when they play Jackson County of course. :thumb:

What is yalls starting lineup Sleep?

Edited by hen

ohh i know york and La will be there too. i jus feel SC and UHS r the top 2. jus an opinion though. :lol:

Smell the popcorn,feel the sticky coke spilt floor, feel the cold weather,

Here we go guys, lets keep it nice on the boards as a ball player would say.

Boy ain't it great to get out of the weather and hear the ball bounce again?