4A Mr. Football (Back)

JKerrBdaMan

I haven`t seen Helton play so I can`t comment there.

I have seen Milligan play and he is very deserving of this nomination and should get a whole lot of consideration for this award. He`s is not only a top notch passing qb with a great arm, he is also a very good running qb. Throw in the fact that he is also a great kick returner and you can easily see why he was nominated. HardinCounty may not have one of the elite programs in the state, but Adam Milligan is certainly deserving of this award. He was certainly the backbone and leader of that team.

Cooper is just an awesome runningback. I couldn`t complain if he gets it. It`s gonna help him that he plays on a great team. He has the ability to make electrifying runs and was a pleasure to watch the two times I saw him play this year.

Congrats to all three of these young men.

Hands down this is the Mr. Football in 4-A

258830.jpg

GRAIGCOOPERNIKEACTION3150.jpg

GRAIGCOOPERNIKEACTION200.jpg

Graig Cooper Profile

The following information was revealed during our interview with Graig Cooper:

What are your stats for the season? "We played Hamilton last week. We won 27-12. I had 157 yards rushing and 1 TD. I also had 20 yards receiving. Against Kingsbury, I had 83 rushing yards, 40 receiving yards, and 3 TD's. Before Kingsbury, we played Christian Brothers. We lost to them 7 - 0. I did nothing against them. I think I had 4 carries for 18 yards.. We played East (27-6) the week before, and I had 222 yards rushing and 2 TD's. Against Whitehaven (13-6), I do not just remember my stats against them. And against Briarcrest (14-0), I had 167 rushing yards and 2 TD's. I also had a 81 yard TD called back for illegal motion. That was my third long TD called back this year."

What improvements have you seen in your game this year? "I am a lot faster, a lot faster. I see the hole a lot quicker. I have better vision. I am just running with more confidence now."

Have you had a chance to set up your official visits yet? "I talked to Miami today about a visit. I have talked to Alabama, Oklahoma State, and Ole Miss about taking a visit too."

Anybody else under consideration? "No sir, not really, those are the main ones. It will come down to one of them."

Have you received a scholarship offer from your four finalist? "Yes sir. Miami, Alabama, Ole Miss, and Oklahoma State have all given me written and verbal scholarship offers."

Had a chance to attend any college games this fall? "I went to the Memphis/Ole Miss game, but that is it so far."

Any future games on tap? "I am going to try to make some. I am probably going to the Ole Miss/Alabama game, and I will try to make a game of Miami's and Oklahoma State's too."

What are Miami's selling points? "They are are recruiting me for running. That is about it. They like how I play."

What do you like about Miami? "I love the atmosphere in the city of Miami. I like their players too. I have not really just toured their campus, but I really like the city. I want to get down there for a visit to see if I fit in. My partner, Carlos Armour, plays for Miami too, so."

What are Ole Miss' selling points? "They said they are looking for some players to come in there and play early. They like me at RB too."

What attracts you to Ole Miss? "I like their head coach, Coach "O". I like how he is going to use me. He told me that he will use me like Reggie Bush. I love Reggie Bush. He is my favorite college player. I am going to take a visit and see how I like it and go from there."

What is Alabama telling you? "I really do not know too much about them so I can not answer that question."

What attracts you to Alabama? "Good question. I really do not know. I guess what I remember the most about Alabama is how they played Oklahoma two years ago. I remember watching that game and thinking how much I liked their atmosphere and stadium. It is close to home too. That is the only thing I got."

What are Oklahoma State's selling points? "I use to stay in Oklahoma for a year. It is close to my people over there. It is like my second home. I have a partner who is a graduate assistant for them. I have always loved Oklahoma State. I like their facilities. I do not know. I have always liked Oklahoma State. It is like my second home."

Do you have a leader yet? "No sir, not at all. I am going to keep an open mind until I take my visits. I need to see how I fit in with each school before I make a decision."

In your opinion; who is coming after you the hardest? "Ole Miss is coming after me harder than anybody. They are relentless."

Graig carries a 2.8 GPA / 16 ACT.

Graig Cooper views himself as a normal guy. When asked what separates him from a lot of other top backs, he didn't have a whole lot to say. "I don't consider myself any different than those other guys," Cooper said. "I'm just who I am and I work hard. That's how I see it."

Cooper has been different in a lot of ways. The Memphis (Tn.) Melrose star has been running over opposing defenses so far this season. "We're 6-1 and the season's been going really good," he said. "I have about 900 yards and 11 touchdowns. I'm having a lot of fun out there."

The talented running back, who participates in four different events during track season, has been getting recruited by a number of programs lately. "Recruiting's been great," he said. "I get a lot of calls and things like that. I know I wanna take visits to Miami and Oklahoma State. Ole Miss is coming at me real hard too right now."

The talented running back claims written offers from Oklahoma State and Ole Miss. He's hoping one comes from the Hurricanes too. "Miami has been calling," he said. "We talked about setting up a visit. Everyone wants to win, play for championships, and go on and play at the next level. Those are reasons why people like Miami so much. I went to the NIKE Camp there and looked around. I talked to the coaches. I talked to (Javarris James) some. He's cool. I saw some of his highlights too. I got a partnter down there too (former teammate Carlos Armour). He likes it a lot."

Oklahoma State is high on his list because of family ties to the area. He talked about that. "Oklahoma is like a second home," he said. "I used to live out there. I got a partnter out there, too (a graduate assistant). They involve the running back a lot. They have a good atmosphere too."

Although he may have a little more interest in the Canes and Cowboys right now, don't count out Ole Miss. "They're up and coming," he said. "I like the new coaches. Coach O used to be at USC and they talked about using me kinda like Reggie Bush in that offense."

Cooper, 5-11 and 192 pounds, said he'll wait to see which schools end up offering and then take a few visits before making a final decision. "I'll just see what each of those places is like and then go from there," he said.

Graig Cooper Profile

Graig Cooper has been running wild on opposing defenses so far this season. He's rushed for over 1,300 yards and 15 touchdowns. "I wanted to have a big senior year and so far it's been happening that way," Cooper said. "Teams try to stack up and take me out but it hasn't happened. I've been having lots of fun."

The Memphis (Tn.) Melrose star running back continues to get recruited heavily by programs all around the South. "My phone seems to never stop ringing at night," he said. "If it's not one coach, it's another. They're doing a good job of keeping in close contact, that's for sure."

Two teams, however, seem to be making more of an effort than the others at this point. "I'd have to say Mississippi and Oklahoma State are coming at me the hardest," he said. "They both started on me early on and they never let up. I like both of them a lot and I'll be taking visits to both of them."

There are others still on the list, including the University of Miami. "Miami's still calling each week," he said. "I enjoy talking to them. Anytime a school with that kind of tradition is talking to you, you better listen. I've been there before and (Tyrone) Moss is having a good year. I think I'm going to Miami in the middle of December (for a visit). I may also check out Alabama."

Cooper, a full academic qualifier, said he expects to take all of his visits before making a final decision. "I'm just waiting it out," he said. "I wanna make sure I make the best choice. I wanna focus on helping our team through the playoffs and then take some visits. I might not decide until signing day."

I think Graig Cooper will win the award.

Zach Helton is a gutty football player. A warrior.

I think Ryan Tallent should have been a candidate for MR Football. Of course I am biased also.

It's Graig Cooper,you didn't know.Its the "Coop" show! Come see December 3,2005 at 3:30p.m. in Boro!

I say Helton gets it over the kid from Melrose. What do you think?

Also, Knoxville News-Sentinel top 25 recruits was puzzling to say the least. Over half of the top 25 is uncommitted, ......or could it be that they are not getting offers? :thumb:

Tallent played hurt and played hard leading Maryville again to the State finals. He gets my vote based on guts and his performance against Morristown West.