How you beat Maryville

Stormytruck

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could care less! Just pointing out the fact. I'm sure Maryville would do just as well in 5A as they are now. Not.

ridge.jpg

We could careless as well 4A is us today. In 09, Maryville can look to add a few 5A gold balls to the case, no problem feathers are still under the wing.

We got a state game to get ready for and this is old!

There are two ways to beat Maryville. The first way is simple. Put them in Division 5A were they should be. The second is hit them early with all your bag of tricks. If you can get them against the ropes early you got a chance.

I know that this post will ruffle some feathers with the Maryville folks but I'm sorry. Last year the TSSAA asked for all the schools student populations and those schools with a population of 1,358 or more were put into 5A. It's a little strange how on coacht.com Maryville High School is said to have 1,351 and on the Maryville High School site they are said to have 1,350. If you check the Tennessee Department of Education website you'll notice that Maryville's net enrollment was 1,445 for the fiscal year 2003-2004. So, maybe in 2009 Maryville will be in the classification that they should be.

ridge.jpg

There ARE 5A threads you know. Now run along and play...

There are two ways to beat Maryville. The first way is simple. Put them in Division 5A were they should be. The second is hit them early with all your bag of tricks. If you can get them against the ropes early you got a chance.

I know that this post will ruffle some feathers with the Maryville folks but I'm sorry. Last year the TSSAA asked for all the schools student populations and those schools with a population of 1,358 or more were put into 5A. It's a little strange how on coacht.com Maryville High School is said to have 1,351 and on the Maryville High School site they are said to have 1,350. If you check the Tennessee Department of Education website you'll notice that Maryville's net enrollment was 1,445 for the fiscal year 2003-2004. So, maybe in 2009 Maryville will be in the classification that they should be.

ridge.jpg

So, your saying Maryville, fudged the numbers? Shame on the Rebs. Thats not what Southern Gentlemen do. I didn't think they were afraid of 5A but changing Numbers! :rolleyes:

Just kidding Rebs bring home another Gold ball your program is a class act!

So, your saying Maryville, fudged the numbers? Shame on the Rebs. Thats not what Southern Gentlemen do. I didn't think they were afraid of 5A but changing Numbers! :lol:

Just kidding Rebs bring home another Gold ball your program is a class act!

Yep .. busted !! we're skeered of dem big ol boys !! Thanks for the kind words Rigge... er i mean MasterBlaster 1 !! Is that your Wrasslin name ?? :rolleyes:

You don't beat them. they win, as always.

Ole Dad

The Maryville Rebels are a very well coached machine. Beating them starts by

giving them the respect they deserve and be willing to match their intensity and focus the entire game. Many opposing coaches have failed to cash in on their chances at beating the Maryville system. It's hard to beat a team that is well prepared for the all physical and mental aspects of the game and the opponent.

Coach Quarles and his staff know the strengths and weaknesses of their players and develope a chemistry that fits the players. He also has a good feel for the changes in momentum that applies to all big games.

Without getting into every detail I'll address the topic. This Maryville team as some short comings in physical ability. The Q-back position has some limitations on physical ability but has shown improvement lately. The running game is about the best I've seen with the blocking schemes and running backs and coach Quarles has taken advantage of the defense at the proper moments to pass. The key is slowing down the run and yes , man to man coverage on the receivers. If your defense makes a mistake at any position they will see it . One Q-back has a limited arm and the other has limited maturity. This offense has been making a few mistakes and turnovers in the second half. Opponents have failed to score on these mistakes.

The Maryville defense is very well coached. To beat it you don't try and beat the whole unit, just execute or overpower the area you want to go. As with any good team the defense will adjust to stop success but usually creates a weakness somewhere else. Most of the big plays the Rebels have given up come from the offense doing the unusual. The Rebel players are well coached in their area of responsibility. They know how and when to give help on certain plays. Plays against the flow of the defense are an example, where the areas of responsibility get confused. But you still need speed runners and backside blocking schemes to break the pursuit. Most of the big plays the Rebels have given up have been against the grain. Slow developing predicatable plays will not work because they read very well and are effective with line penetration.

In either case many more tallented teams the Rebels have faced have failed to beat the system.

ridge.jpg

O.K. not to burst anyone's bubble but, think who the 5A teams in our region would be.

Bradley Central (Cleveland)

Farragut (Knoxville)

Heritage (Maryville)

McMinn County (Athens)

Oak Ridge

Ooltewah

Soddy-Daisy (Soddy Daisy)

William Blount (Maryville)

WB and Heritage- EASY win

not to sure about farragut

Bradley Central- MIGHT be tough but we would be pumped

McMinn Co.-havnt heard a lick about em, they must not be TOO awefully great

Oak Ridge- this is where i get mad. We beat OR in scrimmages by two or more touchdowns this year. Yet STILL they say wait till 5a and we'll stomp you...OK! bring it on in 09! but chill till then gahlly!

Ooltewah- Pretty sure they lost to a 5A team that Maryville beat pretty bad..cough cough no names (WBHS)

Not too sure about soody daisy either, but im sure we would be ready to play them

Not TOO tough of a schedule. Agin, sum of dees teems cud b tuff but are Rubuls wud be redy two play dem.

Edited by the1andonly13

ONCE AGAIN IT ALL STARTS AT COACHING AND THE PROGRAM .

I USED TO COACH YOUTH FOOTBALL, NOW I KNOW KIDS MOVE KIDS OR DONT MAKE THE GRADES OR MATURE AND THINGS CHANGE WHEN THEY GET TO HIGH SCHOOL BUT I NEVER LOST TO A CERTAIN CITY WHOS HIGH SCHOOL MAKES DEEP RUNS IN THE PLAYOFFS, HOWEVER THESE SAME KIDS THAT I BEAT 6 - 8 YEARS AGO DOMINATE KIDS THAT THEY COULDNT HOLD A CANDLE TOO 6-8 YEARS PRIOR?!?!?! NOW ONCE AGAIN I KNOW ITS A LOT OF FACTORS AND THINGS CHANGE BUT THE THING I NOTICE THE MOST WHEN U HAVE A GREAT COACH AND PROGRAM ,KIDS THAT MIGHT NOT HAVE EVER PLAYED ALL OF A SUDDEN PLAY ,WELL THATS WHY I HAVE GREAT RESPECT FOR TEAMS LIKE RIVERDALE OR MARYVILLE BECAUSE I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IN A SMALL 6 TO 8 YEAR SPAN BUT THESE COACHES KNOW HOW TO GET THE BEST OUT OF THERE KIDS. THIS ALSO MAKES KIDS FROM SURROUNDING AREARS WANT TO

PLAY FOR THESE TEAMS TOO. ( IM NOT SAYING THEY RECRUIT JUST SAYING PARENTS WANT THERE KIDS TO PLAY FOR CHAMPIONS AND WILL MOVE CHANGE JOBS AND EVEN FANAGLE TO GET THERE CHILD ON A GOOD PROGRAM) .WE ALSO CANT FORGET THE KIDS ARE NOT BAD EITHER BUT ALL THESE FACTORS TOGETHER ARE THE REASONS U HAVE A POWERHOUSE PROGRAM CAUSE COME ON GUYS FOOTBALL PLAYERS ARE NOT BORN JUST IN CERTAIN CITIES .

O.K. not to burst anyone's bubble but, think who the 5A teams in our region would be.

Bradley Central (Cleveland)

Farragut (Knoxville)

Heritage (Maryville)

McMinn County (Athens)

Oak Ridge

Ooltewah

Soddy-Daisy (Soddy Daisy)

William Blount (Maryville)

yeah, that's marginally tougher than our schedule now, which we handle pretty readily year in and year out.

would we still be able to keep teams like central and alcoa on our schedule?

yeah, that's marginally tougher than our schedule now, which we handle pretty readily year in and year out.

would we still be able to keep teams like central and alcoa on our schedule?

If gone to 5A...Alcoa more than likely would still be on the schedule, Central probably not, maybe in a rotation scheme of some sort. Since WB and Heritage would be in the Rebels region the usuall 4A teams we currently play would be replaced by 5A regional opponents. The few schedule spots not vs. 5A teams would be interesting though, possibly Central.

I still think that with the new High School being constructed in West Knoxville, that by the time MHS were to go 5A, there would be some other shifting in classes.

Blount County is discussing new schools too. It's nuts! So, "Who knows?" what the situation would be. Maryville may still be 4A in '09. Demographics will tell.

Reguards to the Board, (congrats Coacht on the "family extension")

GO RED REBELS!

Mapp

Edited by mapperman