How you beat Maryville

Stormytruck

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went and saw Maryville play West and that was a beating. When you win 29 games in a row and untelling how many before that you don't beat them you get beat. Move the game to Saturday at the last minute that was the only reason West beat them in 03.

They are good and make clutch plays. In 98 Elizabethton needed one first down and they would have won they did not get it and Maryville won. Elizabethton fans blamed it on the ref's saying the guy stepped out of bounds but the whistle never blew so the guy kept running and I know they have pulled a few out against Central. Do not be like some are (whinning babies as fans) just give Maryville credit do not be jealous because they remind every 4a team of everything they are never going to be. Facts are Facts

Well the answer to this question is very simple. . . let MUS play them.

No, I don't even think that would work.

I think the best way to beat Maryville, is pray! Alot! And of course, hope Jason Phillips comes out of retirement and play QB for them again! :lol:

Sorry Jason, just had to do it to you! You know your my boy! By the way, the stuff you sent me by email worked pretty well! :thumb:

Edited by stlrcoach

How do you beat Maryville? First of all, your community needs to pool their money to pay coaches as much as your school's principal. Example #1, defensive coach Gaylor is from Clinton. Ask him why he left. Secondly, once you have the coaches and an acceptable supplement, then you make sure all your players have parents who are somehow affiliated with the business of football. Next, over the summer, make sure all the players go to college football camps, workshops, or seminars. Then that way when you watch them warm up prior to a game, you will understand why they can all throw the ball back and forth simultenously and with precise timing. Last, teach your players that winning is about screwing the other teams' so-call game "strategy" up that is if the other team has even got one. From what I've seen on the field, none of Maryville's opponents even have a game plan, therefore, that goes back to having coaches who have the smarts and of course, make the money.

Believe me coach gaylor does not make as much money as the principal...and you dont even know the real reason that he left so do not question a coach's character about money when you dont even know the reason...

there's no formula really. some day the stars will align and maryville will either make mistakes or underestimate someone or perhaps just run up against a superior team...and they'll lose.

but they'll still be champions and they'll bounce back. it's up to each opponent each week to try to be the team that does what no one has done in a very long time. right now i'm just worried about melrose and not some intangible stew of events that must coordinate in cyberspace for the rebs to go down.

Yo. Don't start thinkin talk about money is evil. When the Knox news story broke about Maryville's new hire the Coach himself mentioned he would be getting $7,000 more annually with the switch to Maryville City Schools. A good move for his family and the new staff.

ps. still waiting to read on here how to beat Maryville.

He went to Maryville because the coach at the time...Hammontree asked him if he wanted to go there and Clinton called his bluff when he said that he was leaving if all extracurricular people that involved doing things with students did not get a raise...money is good but Clinton made a mistake in judging his character...and about his whole money thing...he was offered a whole lot of stuff to go back there a couple years ago when they fired their coach.

the way you beat Maryville is that Maryville beats themselves...thats about it...or get 4 main startes suspended for 4 games that will hurt sometimes.

Edited by rebelguy21

There's two ways to beat any good team. One is to "get lucky" aka capitalize on that teams mistakes, especially if they are crucial in a big game, and the other is to outplay them. Get more yards per carry, get big stops, physically beat them at the line. That is how maryville wins. They don't always have the big skill players, but they just perform. Therefore the converse holds true to beat them. Outperform a high performing team. Everybody knows that UT has 10 times the skill players that Vandy does, but a couple weeks ago, Vandy on that day, outplayed TN. It happens to every team, has happened to Maryville, and will happen again.

To beat Maryville you have to believe you can beat them. The mental part is the most important. If your team doesn't believe they can beat Maryville they are beat.

Another important thing is you have to hate losing. Those Maryville kids hate losing more than they love winning. They still have a bad taste in their mouth from the MOWest game 2 years ago. That has fueled their run they are on now.

Maryville believes they will win every game. Losing is not an option. That is their mindset. Maryville is a team with tremendous pride. Those players will fight their very hardest to win the game. This is why those kids have those grueling summer workouts starting at 5:30 in the morning. That is why those kids have passing practice 2 days a week in the summer. During the season the kids will watch film on sunday and then have passing practice. A week or 2 after the season ends those kids on next years team will start working out again.

Maryville has won championships every year since 1998 except 1999 and 2003. They won championships in 98,2000,01,02 and 04. My nephew quarterbacked the 99 team 6 years ago. It bothers him to this day that his senior year his team didn't win a championship. To those kids in 2003 they looked at their season as a dissapointment. 13-1 record was great in my opinion. But! To those players it wasn't good enough. I will promise you one thing. If Melrose was to win saturday those Maryville kids will look at their season as a dissapointment. To me they have done great. I am very proud of them. The goal every season at Maryville is 15-0 with a state title.

There are two ways to beat Maryville. The first way is simple. Put them in Division 5A were they should be. The second is hit them early with all your bag of tricks. If you can get them against the ropes early you got a chance.

I know that this post will ruffle some feathers with the Maryville folks but I'm sorry. Last year the TSSAA asked for all the schools student populations and those schools with a population of 1,358 or more were put into 5A. It's a little strange how on coacht.com Maryville High School is said to have 1,351 and on the Maryville High School site they are said to have 1,350. If you check the Tennessee Department of Education website you'll notice that Maryville's net enrollment was 1,445 for the fiscal year 2003-2004. So, maybe in 2009 Maryville will be in the classification that they should be.

ridge.jpg

From what I've heard, MHS will be 5A in 2009. Until then you should really just get over it. Maryville would do just fine in 5A.

As far as getting Maryville down early, I'm not so sure about that. First, I've not seen it happen in a very long time, so I'm not sure how it would work. But also, I've seen Maryville down very late in games when the clock and everything else really appeared to be stacked against them. And they never get rattled. They just keep doing what they do and then they win. So, if they don't get rattled at the end of the game, I'm just not sure that they would at the beginning although psychology is a very tricky beast.

There are two ways to beat Maryville. The first way is simple. Put them in Division 5A were they should be. The second is hit them early with all your bag of tricks. If you can get them against the ropes early you got a chance.

I know that this post will ruffle some feathers with the Maryville folks but I'm sorry. Last year the TSSAA asked for all the schools student populations and those schools with a population of 1,358 or more were put into 5A. It's a little strange how on coacht.com Maryville High School is said to have 1,351 and on the Maryville High School site they are said to have 1,350. If you check the Tennessee Department of Education website you'll notice that Maryville's net enrollment was 1,445 for the fiscal year 2003-2004. So, maybe in 2009 Maryville will be in the classification that they should be.

ridge.jpg

Yikes!!!! you caught us, please don't throw us in the briar bush, Mr Ship.

Maybe TSSAA will increase it to 32 divisions by 09 so that everyone that makes the playoffs can be state champ or runner-up :thumb: