Westview Thanksgiving Classic Updates

Train

Westview was beating Chester County by 15 in the first half. Latoya Bellamy was having her way with Bianco Thomas and Latoya must have had 16 or 18 points in the first half. Bellamy is a much better player than Ole Miss bound Thomas.

I was at this game. Give Thomas the supporting cast Bellamy has and everything is different. Obviously, Chester County is a much different team losing Holliday and others from last year. They were good enough to win a state championship. I am not from Chester County, just there to watch girls play basketball. This year's CC team couldn't even get the ball up the court against Westview's press. I don't think Bellamy is a much better player than Thomas. I think that Westview is a much better team. By the way, there is a lot of difference in the caliber of teams at Ole Miss compared to Austin Peay where Bellamy is headed.

I totally agree, for right now. Keep in mind that Westview is returning the same team, and Chester County is trying to find the right mix and match with a slew of underclassmen. And they haven't started the season with any cupcakes for the young onces to sink their teeth into, either! Dyersburg, Gleason, Westview. :thumb: The youngs ones are having to learn quick, and should pay off dividends.Like I said, it looks like Coach Pipkin is trying to get about 10 girls prepared, and she's kicking them out of the nest HARD with this schedule. I guess, if you're going to learn, now's the time. And it might as well be against the best. Lose early to win late. Improving her supporting cast will make Thomas all that more effective. I see A LOT of upside to this CC team!

Edited by birdie

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the discussion of Bianco Thomas going to Ole Miss and Latoya Bellamy going to Austin Peay - Latoya was hurt all summer. If she was able to play this summer in front of college scouts, then many more major colleges would have been interested in Latoya. From what I have observed, Bianco is a great player, obviously she signed with Ole Miss, but when Latoya plays her game, there is no comparison.

Take the Gleason-Chester County game, Thomas only had 15 points, mostly in transition. She was guarded by a player that is 5 inches shorter than her. She is either overated or that Gleason player who guarded her is underated defensively.

From what I saw, Gleason's half court defense was superior to all teams that were at Westview, even better than the Chargers. (Hopefully that will change, however, we did play fair defense against Chester County. I am happy to see our team learning the key word to winning --"defense.")

One thing is for sure, Coach Lee Pipkin is a good coach and she will have her troops ready by tourament time.

Coach Sean will have our troops ready as well. They are adjusting to his system and will improve even more with each game. This is going to be an exciting season of Charger basketball. Buckle your seat belt and get ready!!!!!!!!!!

As far as the discussion of Bianco Thomas going to Ole Miss and Latoya Bellamy going to Austin Peay - Latoya was hurt all summer. If she was able to play this summer in front of college scouts, then many more major colleges would have been interested in Latoya. From what I have observed, Bianco is a great player, obviously she signed with Ole Miss, but when Latoya plays her game, there is no comparison.

Take the Gleason-Chester County game, Thomas only had 15 points, mostly in transition. She was guarded by a player that is 5 inches shorter than her. She is either overated or that Gleason player who guarded her is underated defensively.

From what I saw, Gleason's half court defense was superior to all teams that were at Westview, even better than the Chargers. (Hopefully that will change, however, we did play fair defense against Chester County. I am happy to see our team learning the key word to winning --"defense.")

One thing is for sure, Coach Lee Pipkin is a good coach and she will have her troops ready by tourament time.

Coach Sean will have our troops ready as well. They are adjusting to his system and will improve even more with each game. This is going to be an exciting season of Charger basketball. Buckle your seat belt and get ready!!!!!!!!!!

Westviewman....the difference in Bianca and Latoya is that Bianca is a verbal leader and leads her club. Who is the verbal leader on Westview's team? Bianca put her team on her back last year and won a gold ball! Westview could have, and should have had that same type of leader!

Scouts have known about Bellamy since she was a freshman, her being hurt didn't hurt her school choice. Latoya chose a school, that I am sure is good for her, and B Thomas did the same. It doesn't matter who is better, the fact is that the gold ball is in Chester Co's trophy case. I hope Latoya and the other Westview ladies can get one of their own this year! I hope that the girls remember that feeling (pukebag please) of seeing Chester Co hoist that gold ball up in the air last year (another one please).....That is all that matters!

Good luck to the Lady Chargers this year and lets get another one 10 years after the other one! :thumb:

I have not seen Bellamy play high school ball although I have seen her play AAU the past three years,what position does she play and where will she play in college? I don't think she and Bianca really would play the same roles on their respective teams.I remember Bianca as being more versatile and able to pretty much play all the postions in high school if needed and Latoya more of a wing and post player she has cannons for arms.

Edited by givbakr2

birdie makes a great point.....don't compare the two players. It is like comparing apples to oranges. Bianca's job is alot different because of the type of team she plays on....they are rebuilding, so to speak. Mark this down, Chester will make it to the substate and could make it back to Murfreesboro. Coach Pipkin does a great job with those kids and will have them ready in March.