Melrose vs Maryville Round 2

kwc

Can Maryville have back to back 15-0 seasons?

Which defense will not break under pressure?

Will the game be as low scoring as last year?

Can anyone stop Cooper right now?

Will Maryville miss Cade behind the center and managing the game?

1. We'll see on Saturday. I sure hope so.

2. I'm not sure that either defense will "break" per se. I think this game comes down to which offense can establish itself and stay on the field longer. I don't think it will be a big play game. Maryville does not give up a lot of long runs. Hopefully this will hold true this week. I think that having a scat back hurts a team in the red zone, and I don't see a decent passing attack really hurting the Rebels. This year's MHS squad has more speed on D than last year and just as much strength. So I'm hoping that the MHS D will bend but not break. And as for the Melrose D, they'll see something different this year from Maryville. Our runners are stronger this year and now we use a tight end. Tyler may not out run anyone this week like he usually does (and Tallent and Tank may not either) but I think our offense has the upper hand in the ability to sustain a drive and stick one in the paydirt when down at the goal line...that's all my opinion as I've not seen Melrose since last year.

3. The game will not be as low scoring as last year. GQ knows now how valuable points will be and how hard they will be to come by. He'll take the field goal if he must. But also, this team is more likely to gain the 4th and short than last year's because it is more of a power team and less about finesse. I also think that both team's will open it up more and take more risks understanding that one play could make the game. And with Melrose bringing a more balanced attack there is greater potential for a big play from them or a big play (i.e. turnover) by the MHS D.

4. One man will not win a championship. Cooper must be contained, but stopping him altogether is not likely. Having said that, the Rebel D has shut down great backs before.

5. Make no mistake about this, GQ is managing the game...not Cade last year or the QBs this year. Will we miss him? Sure. Will our guys come to play this year? They better.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryville has a line that is probably a little smaller .....

Maryville's stength on offense is their tailbacks Adrian Baker and Ryan Tallent. Baker and Tallent can both run fast. Tallent runs under a 4.6 Baker runs a 4.65 Both young men can bench over 300 lbs and squat over 500 lbs. Tallent is 5'10 200lbs and Baker is 5'9 210. Both kids are a load.

...... I can't wait for saturdays game. I hope the Melrose band makes it this time. I enjoyed their band the 2 previous times I watched Melrose play in championship games.

REBELRON, mentioning that the fastest guy runs a 4.5 or a 4.49 can run with anyone on Melrose is faulty thinking. The fastest guy on our team was clocked at 4.3 and some change, he couldn't catch the punt returner on a 65+ yard run! That is blazing speed imo!!! Also, Cooper is faster than you think because of his incredible acceleration and stop and go abilities. If he is in the open field, its over if your fastest guy is 4.49. I would guess that 30-40% of Melrose's team (including some of the big guys) can run under a 4.5!

Maryville needs to consider themselves blessed for what didn't happen at last Friday's game vs Mor. West.

In this game the official made the correct call in penalizing a player. Gary Tucker made a play on defense and immediately he turned to the Mor. West stands and pointed while flexing his muscle; an obvious taunting gesture.

We all know Brandon Warren was penalized when he spun the ball after making a big play. If Warren's actions were worthy of a penalty, then certainly Tucker's were as well because Tucker was taunting the fans.

In the case of Brandon Warren the official made the wrong judgment call. But, if in accordance to the judgment of that official, his actions qualified for a penalty then so did Gary Tucker's.

Either way, again Maryville's luck prevails and that is why they should win on Saturday. Beware, because eventually that luck will turn the other way. It's just a matter of when.

Maryville 17

Melrose 10

Deep down , i want to pull for Alcoa , but posts like this make it very hard . UTKCLASSOF2002 , the difference between the 2 situations you bring up are numerous , want to hear them ?

1. As someone previously said , even with the penalty , Gary Tucker would have been playing this week unless he had received another personal foul during the game ... like Brandon Warren did

2. If the same situation had occurred to a Maryville player , the majority of the fans would have been the first ones to say , " he got what he deserved " , unlike the Alcoa fans who will be crying " what an outrage " , and " what a tragedy " ... and even Make up " Free Brandon " Tee shirts

3. Local Daily times "national enquirer " writer Glenn LaFollette ( who is trying to be B. WARREN'S agent it appears ) would not have wrote a " What a terrible tragedy and injustice " story about the Maryville player .

4. Unlike the Alcoa coach who got mad at the referees and the opposing team's fans for his player getting tossed ( " we would have beat them even if they started bringing people out of the stands ! ) ... Coach Quarles would have held the player responsible for his actions and probably of punished above and beyond whatever the TSSAA had called for .

5. Most Maryville fans wish a penalty flag had been thrown , because our fans don't approve of showboating or thuggish behavior .

I could go on and on , but i won't , the jealousy and hatred towards Maryville will continue no matter what is said on this board , because that's what petty , insecure people do .

Not knowing anything about Melrose makes posting difficult, but after last weeks game against West I am very impressed with the Maryville team.

From the West side, we were not able to get anything going all night long. The few plays that worked were runs up the middle by the fullbacks. If Melrose can run up the middle, then they might be able to move the ball on Maryville. There were so many passes blocked at the line that I lost count. There is no doubt, in East Tennessee, about the Maryville team--definitely the yard stick we have to measure too. It did not seem to matter how our offense line blocked there was always too many people for the backs to get through.

On defense, we played fairly well. However, if we held Maryville on the first two downs, they converted on the third (and if we held on the first three, they converted on the fourth). We could not stop them from doing what they needed to do. They excuted every play better than any team I have seen this year. Even when we had the back stopped in the backfield, he found a way to break tackles or make the tackler miss to pick up possitive yardage. The quarterbacks kept their head and were never flustered no matter the down or distance.

A very impressive team. Again, I do not know anything about Melrose, but know that Maryville will execute their game plan. I beleive it will be a good game and hope it is televised.

[quote name='Drewcephus' date='Nov 29 2005 - 10:09 AM' post='825850648']

REBELRON, mentioning that the fastest guy runs a 4.5 or a 4.49 can run with anyone on Melrose is faulty thinking. The fastest guy on our team was clocked at 4.3 and some change, he couldn't catch the punt returner on a 65+ yard run! That is blazing speed imo!!! Also, Cooper is faster than you think because of his incredible acceleration and stop and go abilities. If he is in the open field, its over if your fastest guy is 4.49. I would guess that 30-40% of Melrose's team (including some of the big guys) can run under a 4.5!

You were doing good until that last statement. But like most of us we believe all the 40-yard time garbage. We know your team is fast but most pros don't run under a 4.5...... if the truth were known.

[quote name='Drewcephus' date='Nov 29 2005 - 10:09 AM' post='825850648']

You were doing good until that last statement. But like most of us we believe all the 40-yard time garbage. We know your team is fast but most pros don't run under a 4.5...... if the truth were known.

Well...for what it is worth...some of those pros played at Melrose. How many kids have played NFL football from Melrose. I thought at one time it was like 5 or so...

Well...for what it is worth...some of those pros played at Melrose. How many kids have played NFL football from Melrose. I thought at one time it was like 5 or so...

and possible more in the near future. Tallent has never been a problem for Melrose.

In modern times Maryville has put one player in the pros....linebacker Danny Spradlin.

First, to clarify they are not "my team" and I would say I am more neutral than anything. I know Coach GQ but don't know the team that well. I saw the Melrose team and speak with sincerity there. They have a couple of linebackers that are FAST and big. It may be an exaggeration a little (30-40%), but not too far fetched! I obviously didn't see all of their players running, but several of their players can run very fast. I saw them catch up with some players that I thought would be able to outrun them. You can call it garbage if you want, but it is a legitimate measuring stick, a reference point if you will.

Well once again , we'll bring our undersized , slow , non-talented boys and try not to get embarrassed . :unsure:

Well once again , we'll bring our undersized , slow , non-talented boys and try not to get embarrassed . :unsure:

Yeah, you guys must just be pitiful. Don't know how in the world you ever made to 14-0?!?!? ;)

I would speak more about Maryville and their strengths if I knew the team. I can speak about how well coached you are, but that of course is no secret across the state...