Melrose vs Maryville Round 2

kwc

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryville dominated on both sides of the ball, if Maryville had not made stupid mistakes the score would have been 31-0 or worse.

Now the playoff game was alittle different. But I do not believe Melrose has that much more speed than Central, and Maryville handled them just fine, twice.

I know nothing about Knox Central (assuming that is the Central we are talking about). But the comment on Melrose not having more speed than Central should not be assumed. I have heard people all across the mid-state and west saying that Melrose's Graig Cooper is the best back to run the fields of Tennessee. I agree after their win in the 2nd round. He is not just any back with speed you will be facing. He will not even be the fast back that Maryville saw last year, he is better. I think that someone stated in a previous post that Cooper is Tennessee's Reggie Bush - that is more accurate than any other post. Apparently he is stoppable, as in the case from CBHS. But that was also before the whole offense was put together.

I know that Maryville is going to be well prepared for this one, just as I know that Melrose is going to be well prepared. The Maryville coach is one of the best in the business, a high class guy. Don't know much about the Melrose coach, but he is apparently good as he has a well disciplined team playing for the Gold Ball. But don't expect this one to be a high scoring Maryville affair. Someone said that MHS will put 31 on the board, I say that is wishful thinking. The Melrose D is better than ever and won't let even the Mighty Maryville put that kind of numbers on them. Keep an eye on Cooper in this game. Should be a great game all the way around by both squads!!!

HOLY...!

It's just Monday morning and we've already gone 7 pages. Wow. I love this week.

Where to begin? Last year's game was an absolute instant classic. The MHS offense was flat out explosive, and if anyone had told me they'd be held to 7 I'd have called them a liar to their face...and yet they were. That Melrose D from that game was hands down the best I've ever seen in high school football. I just can't give them enough credit. If they are actually better than last year's D this year, then that's just flat out scary.

However, I know that the MHS D is better this year than last...and they held Melrose to 6. So I'm hearing the Melrose offense is also improved this year. If that's the case, then it looks like this one has all the trappings of being another great one.

Last year means nothing. It's all about the 6 days of preparation and then who executes on Saturday in the Boro. I can't freaking wait!

RebelGuy21

Maryville is a great team. I have the utmost of respect for the way they play the game and their gridiron accomplishments. However, Maryville is not as fast as Melrose. That simply is not true. You have not seen this kind of team speed all year. This has the makings of a very very good title game.

This is ture. But, we're faster than last year os watch out OMW. :)

I hope the MHS staff is showing the return guys clips from last years Melrose coverage team, cause they were amazing. I've never seen a kick coverage team as explosive as Melroses was last year. Incredible. They hit a ton!!

Edited by Rebel Nation

once again maryville fans showing their true character by degrading an individual for his opinion. how classy? even though i am a college kid, i still have a better understanding of the game than most people on this board. in a couple of years, i will be getting paid to watch game film and coach the game of football. you have to force maryville into making mistakes if you want to win a game against them. central did that. of course maryville won their 2nd meeting GQ is too good of a coach to let those mistakes happen again. however Central has played them the close in two games, so why not watch the film and see the schemes and defensive sets Central used to stay in the game. one weakness is the QB isn't a great decisive passer under pressure, if Melrose can get pressure with their front four and blitz a LB or two then Melrose can diguise overages very well and cause some errant passes. And if you guys think that Central and Melrose have around the same team speed, you are not very knowledgeable about the game of football. Everyone in the state knows Melrose has the best overall team speed in the state, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I just don't see a logical reason to say Central has as much team speed as Melrose.

I am personally looking forward to watching this game. It was Melrose that put WH out the year you guys played so I got to watch them that game and the championship game.

Last year I thought Melrose had the best defense because Maryville had GREAT field position most of the game (especially in the first half) but couldn't put the ball in the end zone.... And from Maryville's scores it looks as if they have a short field they find a way to put points on the board. I thought Maryville's defense was also good..... But, Melroses offense, imo, was very predictable.....While the Maryville offense, again imo, was very balanced and quite frankly one of the best I watched all year.

So I got to give the advantage to Melrose on the defensive side of the ball while giving Maryville the advantage offensively.

I understand the maryville kicking game is solid...... But Melroses last year was pathetic the times I watched....and they better bring a good kicking game to the table, imo......

A comment on Cooper being caught from behind.... If he was breaking down the sidelines and got caught from behind is one thing, but from my vantagepoint he was running diagional on the field and hadn't turned completely upfield when he was tackled, although the defensive person did show good speed.

I'm looking forward to a good game....believe it will be low scoring and probably be decided by a turnover, blocked kick, etc...

This is ture. But, we're faster than last year os watch out OMW. :)

I hope the MHS staff is showing the return guys clips from last years Melrose coverage team, cause they were amazing. I've never seen a kick coverage team as explosive as Melroses was last year. Incredible. They hit a ton!!

RebelNation

I won't underestimate Maryville in the least bit. We lost one game last year and it was to you. Our eyes are wide open and extremely happy to get another shot. A lot of people all over Tennessee have been looking forward to this matchup and we are 5 days from getting it on! You gotta LOVE this!!!

I am personally looking forward to watching this game. It was Melrose that put WH out the year you guys played so I got to watch them that game and the championship game.

Last year I thought Melrose had the best defense because Maryville had GREAT field position most of the game (especially in the first half) but couldn't put the ball in the end zone.... And from Maryville's scores it looks as if they have a short field they find a way to put points on the board. I thought Maryville's defense was also good..... But, Melroses offense, imo, was very predictable.....While the Maryville offense, again imo, was very balanced and quite frankly one of the best I watched all year.

So I got to give the advantage to Melrose on the defensive side of the ball while giving Maryville the advantage offensively.

I understand the maryville kicking game is solid...... But Melroses last year was pathetic the times I watched....and they better bring a good kicking game to the table, imo......

A comment on Cooper being caught from behind.... If he was breaking down the sidelines and got caught from behind is one thing, but from my vantagepoint he was running diagional on the field and hadn't turned completely upfield when he was tackled, although the defensive person did show good speed.

I'm looking forward to a good game....believe it will be low scoring and probably be decided by a turnover, blocked kick, etc...

Good Post Dandy82,

There are a few of things that I'd like to add:

1. Maryville passed up at least a couple of field goals in last year game because they expected a higher scoring game. I don't think if given the opportunity this year, that will happen.

2. Melrose played a very conservative game on offense last year. I don't want to take any credit away from Maryville's defense as they were very good. However, I felt we did not put enough on their minds. This years QB is a better passer and Cooper is a better back, which on paper should help. The key is to be careful and not try to take something that is not there. Maryville will make you pay for your mistakes because they play their scheme very well.

3. Melrose finally has a field goal/PAT game.

4. Both teams are going into this game with a lot more knowledge of each other than last year. I think this will add to the excitement and level of play.

Edited by orangemoundwest

I agree this is a game where each team takes advantage of the field goals. Field position and SP Teams will be very big. I would say Maryville's "D" is faster this year than last and if there is only one great back to worry about, Maryville's position schemes will limit that damage even though Mr. Cooper is a great back IMO.

Melrose will try to pass for sure this year more so than last. Maryville will pass and run on Melrose, how effectivly will be seen Sat. Melrose has two QB's to get ready for and both do different things well but GQ has proven, he is not afraid to use some of the things the other team prepaired for vs. the QB on the bench.

Can't ever tell what GQ s going to do and that is an ace in the hole!

once again maryville fans showing their true character by degrading an individual for his opinion. how classy? even though i am a college kid, i still have a better understanding of the game than most people on this board. in a couple of years, i will be getting paid to watch game film and coach the game of football. you have to force maryville into making mistakes if you want to win a game against them. central did that. of course maryville won their 2nd meeting GQ is too good of a coach to let those mistakes happen again. however Central has played them the close in two games, so why not watch the film and see the schemes and defensive sets Central used to stay in the game. one weakness is the QB isn't a great decisive passer under pressure, if Melrose can get pressure with their front four and blitz a LB or two then Melrose can diguise overages very well and cause some errant passes. And if you guys think that Central and Melrose have around the same team speed, you are not very knowledgeable about the game of football. Everyone in the state knows Melrose has the best overall team speed in the state, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I just don't see a logical reason to say Central has as much team speed as Melrose.

And once again you leading off your post with a blanket citicism of Maryville fans. Look you are proabably a pretty good guy. But take some friendly sincere advice and quit putting such a pompous a** tone to your posts. You don't like Maryville. We get it. We don't care. This x's and o's crap you are talking about, do you really think some college kid in a dorm is bringing something to light that every coach Maryville has faced has not already considered? We have young quarterbacks, so they have not always handled pressure well at times. Gee thanks for telling us Lombardi we thought they were 30 years old. If you are a future coach great. Why not start now while you still know EVERYTHING? Sure your future employer would love the maturity you displayed trying to throw intimidation toward a bunch of high school kids with Melrose's secondary like you did in another thread. Maybe you do have an abundance of football knowledge (you certainly keep telling us you do) but it is hard to see through all the arrogance.