Melrose vs Maryville Round 2

kwc

Probably not is right. You'll get one when you deserve one, so I'd not be holding my breath waiting on that if I were you. :lol:

What kind of offense does Melrose run?

Give the ball to #28, And let him find a hole. When he gets tired throw one up and lt 13, 7 or who ever else run it for a touchdown.

Not to complicated. :) It has worked and got them to the ship.

Prep Vol,

Practice for the deffense has been very good, offense has strugled but GQ always gets the knots out before the game. Dline is looking to get penatration and stop copper before he can hit the hole with a full head of steam.

Offensively, Well you'l just have to find out :)

Good luck to both Melrose and Maryville. Two well matched teams playing for the golden ball, Can't wait.

Edited by rebelman16

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give the ball to #28, And let him find a hole. When he gets tired throw one up and lt 13, 7 or who ever else run it for a touchdown.

Not to complicated. :lol: It has worked and got them to the ship.

Thanks for the info 16. Can't wait to see what GQ has in store for the goldies.

Be safe going to the Boro and have a great time!

Now I'm not bitter or anything, but when something like this is even presumed to have happened at Maryville people go nuts about it. But when it happens someplace else, it's somehow a good story?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/prep_s...4283003,00.html

Like usual, Papa you are right on the money.

First there is no one with the Maryville Rag that could ever write that well and secondly if we had all those transfers making a difference, more people would think and insist Maryville some how cheats! But it's ok elsewhere. I don't care what outsiders think I know how much class and disipline occures in and around the Maryville program, I don't care what others think. Good post.

Better bring that rain gear men!

Wow, you people are killing me. It's 30 hours from kickoff, I'm completely unable to get any work done because it's all I can think about...and no one is on here talking with me....

Okay, maybe I can stir it up a little bit.

Earlier this week I wrote a big post with all sorts of 2004 vs 2005 stats for these two teams. I think that what I basically came up with is that both teams have changed their styles a little bit this year but that Maryville maintained its 2004 level of dominance against the same quality of schedule while Melrose appeared to improve on offense but slip on defense while playing against inferior opponents as compared to the year prior. Having said that, I thought that I'd look at some of this year's numbers a little bit:

Offense:

Maryville has been very steady on offense this year. They were only held below 20 once this season. On average they score 38 points per game.

The season by quadrants:

Average scoring in first quarter of season: 38

Average scoring in second quarter of season: 36

Average scoring in third quarter of season: 46

Average scoring in fourth quarter of season (playoffs): 33

Maryville played 9 games against teams with winning records (including 2 teams who lost to no one other than Maryville: Central and motown). Against those teams Maryville scored an average of 34 points per game, or 4 below the season average. Average margin of victory was 23.

The Rebels also played 5 games against teams with losing records. Against those teams, they scored an average of 45 points per game or 7 above their season average. They are within one TD of their average against both winning and losing programs. Average margin of victory was 38 in those games.

Melrose is a little bit of a different story. They got off to a slow start offensively, but came on strong after settling on a quarterback and (I suspect) learning the new coach's offense. They went 4 games before scoring 20 and then were held below it only one more time.

The season by quadrants:

Average scoring in first quarter of season: 13

Average scoring in second quarter of season: 25

Average scoring in third quarter of season: 35

Average scoring in fourth quarter of season (playoffs): 38

Overall average: 29

It looks like Melrose is peaking at the right time offensively, but it is also interesting to note that after the slow offensive start and the shutout loss in week 4, Melrose only played one more team with a winning record before reaching the playoffs. Here's how that breakdown looks:

Melrose played 7 teams with winning records. Against those teams they scored an average of 26 points per game or 3 below their season average. Average margin of victory was 18 against those teams (including the one loss).

Melrose played one member of the 500 club and scored 13 points.

Melrose played 6 teams with losing records. Against those teams they scored an average of 34 points per game, or 5 above their season average.

Defense:

Both teams gave up exactly 5 more points on defense against winning teams than they did against losing teams.

What does it all mean? Does Maryville have the advantage b/c they have played at this level all year or does the edge go to Melrose for having built up such a head of steam late in the season?

How about the fact that GQ got to see Melrose last year while Melrose's coach is making his first run at Maryville, the Boro and the golden ball?

Your thoughts?

Edited by papa chaos

LOL ... Papa Chaos ... you are so excited ... I bet if somebody in your office snuck up behind you and said BOO! ... You would jump out of your skin! This time of year is great isn't it? Great post by the way ... boy have you been consumed!

Speaking on the Melrose transfer story ... I remember last year talking to Fred's dad after a Whitehaven game and he told me himself then that he was going to buy a house in Melrose's district. He didn't like the coaches at Whitehaven and Fred was a star at Whitehaven. He's the starting right DE ... #56. I coached little league with his dad several years back. I know the Lacey boy's father as well. He was a star at Raleigh Egypt last year.

Seems I won't be able to make the game this year, so I'm going to have to find out what happens at the game some other way.

Oh well ... you guys have fun ... Go Melrose!

Great post Papa! Though this is good data (and being an engineer I love to see the data), the emotions of this being the big game seem to be a bigger factor. And even though it may be the first time that the Melrose Head Coach has played against Maryville, the other coaches (primarily the D-coordinator) is the same.

And it also seems that both teams are on a roll. Both had big wins last week to get back to the BC Bowl. I think that Melrose has enough weapons that it can put some points on the board. And I also think that Melrose D is tough enough to limit Maryville's point production. However, Maryville will be able to move the ball and this will likely create FG opportunities for them that they will take this year as opposed to last. The score will be something like 16 - 14. Whoever has the opportunity to put points on the board the most times will win this defensive battle.

Edited by Drewcephus

How can Melrose not be favored to win this game? They lost very few starters from last year's team and (according to the Commercial Appeal) they have gotten some excellent transfer players. Maryville lost 10 offensive starters and 5 or so defensive starters. Maryville will have to win the turnover battle to have a chance. I will be surprised if Maryvile wins. But GQ and the Rebels have surprised me many times before.

How can Melrose not be favored to win this game? They lost very few starters from last year's team and (according to the Commercial Appeal) they have gotten some excellent transfer players. Maryville lost 10 offensive starters and 5 or so defensive starters. Maryville will have to win the turnover battle to have a chance. I will be surprised if Maryvile wins. But GQ and the Rebels have surprised me many times before.

IMO, it is because of those surprises that GQ so often is able to pull off as to why they are favored. No question that Maryville has the best coach in the league. But I have seen where they are favored by more than what I think they will even be able to score. This Melrose D is very tough to score points on. It will be similar to last year I think...

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for another state championship... yawn. I'm kidding. I am pumped to be able to have a rematch with such a talented Melrose squad. Last year was the fastest, hardest hitting defense I think I have ever seen at the high school level. If they match that same intensity, the Rebels may be in trouble this year. But I doubt that is going to happen.

Of course Melrose is going to be faster, stronger, and quicker that we are. They are superior athletes. That is not what wins football games though. They may be extremely good athletes, but they just don't play smart, if you know what I mean. And that is where we rise to the occasion and win this game with relative ease.

I think our defense is better than it was last year, and we held them to 6 points last year. I am going to make a bold prediction and say that we pitch a shutout, I really believe that will happen. We have stopped one dimensional teams all year, and this will be no different.

So how hard can it be to beat a team when the opposition doesn't score any points? Even though are offense isn't as flashy as last year, we still get the job done. Here is my prediction for the game, and I will guarentee i come within 3 points of the final spread.

Maryville 17

Melrose 0

This should be a great game. I believe that the defenses will keep both offenses from scoring many points. However, hopefully the Rebs will be able to play the field position game and make Melrose punt from their own end of the field, which would give Maryville a short field and a chance for at least a field goal every time down the field. I believe that they will kick more than they did last year and that could be the difference. No predictions from me, too close to call