Melrose vs Maryville Round 2

kwc

OMW:

#56, the DE and #7, the OLB/TE ... what are their names? I know #56's first name is Fred because I coached pee wee football with his father a few years back, but I can't remember his last name. Let me know if you can. I want to post in the 4A allstar team thread, and those are 2 of the guys I want to list.

16 penealties will not cut it. I read that Maryville had quite a few penalties as well. Hmmmmmmm ......

Anyway ... last years match-up was a pretty good ordeal. Both teams tackle well, both teams field fast swarming defenses. Maryville's coach inserted an option oriented attack just for Melrose last year. Coach Quarles did a good job of catching Melrose off guard with it last year ... for a quarter at least. Maryville had a seasoned senior at QB last year that made that possible. I don't think Coach Quarels tries that this year. The Melrose coaching staff had to make adjustments on the fly to compensate for it. Melrose's coach from last year played it close to the vest and he only liked to pass in passing situations. Not so this year with the new Melrose coach. Same defensive coordinator, new offesive philosophy. None of this, mind you, wins the game Saturday ... just some differences then last year.

Last year in the championship game, I think Cooper barely broke the century mark with something like 115 yards, or something like that. I'm sure some one will correct me on that. But I do know this ... as a result of being caught from behind in last years championship game ... Cooper took it upon himself to get faster over the summer. He went to some football camps specifically for that purpose, and sure enough ... he is faster. I remember saying to some fans during a game this year ... "man ... I think he is faster then last year" ... only to find out later in an article in the Commercial Appeal that he had commited this past summer to get faster, because he got caught from behind in that game. I only mentioned this because I think, if he breaks one this year ... no one catches him this time. This doesn't win the game on Saturday either ... just another little tidbit of information to make this highly anticipated game more interesting.

With all that being said ... and ... with the results of last years game, I don't think either coach will have a problem with keeping guys focused on either team. If you thought you saw some sobering hits from last years game, wait till you see this one.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryville vs Melrose Round 2......What more could I ask for......Last year I predicted that Melrose and Maryville would be back, and I couldn't wait to see it.....

If you say Melrose's D is better than last year, then Maryville better watch out :blink: .....BUT Maryville is still Maryville, and that's intimidating to anybody.....

I'm am so ready to see this game, but I will not make a prediction until later in the week....

but GO WILDCATS!!!!

Just a question? Riverdale had won 28 in a row and ranked 19th in

usa today. Maryville is 82 out of 84 and can't seem to crack the top 25. Why do you think this is?

My humble opinion on that matter is the pure fact that Maryville is in 4A. And although 4A football in Tennessee is typically tougher, they won't get recognition just for the fact they're not in 5A. That's what I think.

Just a question? Riverdale had won 28 in a row and ranked 19th in

usa today. Maryville is 82 out of 84 and can't seem to crack the top 25. Why do you think this is?

`

A lot of it is because they don't play in the highest classification. A lot of it is because Maryville isn't loaded with Rivals 100 type players. To me all I care about is that 4A State title.

As many of you know, I don't make predictions. However I would like to make three points.

1. The Melrose defense is as good or better than last year.

2. We have two kickers now. Scored a 37 yard field gold last week and all PATs. all 4 PATs in the Hillsboro game.

Cooper and the passing game are both better than last year.

OMW, I was speaking in statistical terms (points allowed) about the Melrose defense being better last year than this year. Either defense ('04 or '05) is still outstanding.

And yes, the kicking game does appear to be on the right track.

GL

OMW:

#56, the DE and #7, the OLB/TE ... what are their names? I know #56's first name is Fred because I coached pee wee football with his father a few years back, but I can't remember his last name. Let me know if you can. I want to post in the 4A allstar team thread, and those are 2 of the guys I want to list.

16 penealties will not cut it. I read that Maryville had quite a few penalties as well. Hmmmmmmm ......

Anyway ... last years match-up was a pretty good ordeal. Both teams tackle well, both teams field fast swarming defenses. Maryville's coach inserted an option oriented attack just for Melrose last year. Coach Quarles did a good job of catching Melrose off guard with it last year ... for a quarter at least. Maryville had a seasoned senior at QB last year that made that possible. I don't think Coach Quarels tries that this year. The Melrose coaching staff had to make adjustments on the fly to compensate for it. Melrose's coach from last year played it close to the vest and he only liked to pass in passing situations. Not so this year with the new Melrose coach. Same defensive coordinator, new offesive philosophy. None of this, mind you, wins the game Saturday ... just some differences then last year.

Last year in the championship game, I think Cooper barely broke the century mark with something like 115 yards, or something like that. I'm sure some one will correct me on that. But I do know this ... as a result of being caught from behind in last years championship game ... Cooper took it upon himself to get faster over the summer. He went to some football camps specifically for that purpose, and sure enough ... he is faster. I remember saying to some fans during a game this year ... "man ... I think he is faster then last year" ... only to find out later in an article in the Commercial Appeal that he had commited this past summer to get faster, because he got caught from behind in that game. I only mentioned this because I think, if he breaks one this year ... no one catches him this time. This doesn't win the game on Saturday either ... just another little tidbit of information to make this highly anticipated game more interesting.

With all that being said ... and ... with the results of last years game, I don't think either coach will have a problem with keeping guys focused on either team. If you thought you saw some sobering hits from last years game, wait till you see this one.

Antonio Harper - 7

Michael Carter- 56

well well, gerry is back with his cocky attitude once again, so i guess ill have to throw mine out there as well. melrose can bring all the speed they want, and you can bring three kickers for all i care, its not going to matter. the maryville defense isnt slow, and i know for sure we are fast enough to get the job done, you have to be able to get out of the backfield before you can talk about your speed, and dwight wood, gary tucker, cable, smith, killebrew and anyone else who wants to be there will be right there in their face when they get the handoff. i would say our offense is what will be our weak link but i just cant bring myself to do it with GQ at the helm, genius that man is. Maryville will come out fired up as usual, and believe me they are going to know exactly what they have to do to win this game, and they will do it as always. MHS by 10+

As many of you know, I don't make predictions. However I would like to make three points.

1. The Melrose defense is as good or better than last year.

2. We have two kickers now. Scored a 37 yard field gold last week and all PATs. all 4 PATs in the Hillsboro game.

Cooper and the passing game are both better than last year.

Attention Maryville fans....

Take heed to what OMW just said. His points are very true.