Multiplier rule did what it was suppose to do!

UCSportsFan

AMEN!!! You are exactly right. The people in the rural schools don't understand how bad the public schools are in the bigger cities. I'm talking about the education, as you are. It is hard to get a quality education in larger cities. Now that is why you and I send our kids to school where we do, because we want them to receive a good education. We also want them to get a Christian education.

Now, on to sports. It is great when those public schools crush you and your start up program. Ronnie Carter is blind to that. Yall just be everyones homecoming game a few seasons. When you start to win, we'll that is where their system broke down. That is why they want you to play schools twice your size. After all, aren't your alumni rich? Don't you have an NFL player coaching your team? Aren't your facilities the best of any school you'll play? Do you have a regular colusssium or is it a dome? How many athletes have you recruited with all the money you have? You and I know how ridiculous all this is, but trying to get that through to these people is impossible. I would just say to Temple, hang on. Help is on the way. It will just take some time to get things organized.

I guarantee the parents at Temple aren't rich. Most of them are just regular people with regular jobs that sacrifice in order for their kids to get a proper education and to have the right school environment. As far as facilities are concerned -- we don't even have a football field! The administration has been promising to work on one -- but have yet to come through on their promise. There is just not enough money to do all there is to support a true football program. If it wasn't for some of the parents raising money and doing a lot of the work -- football would not exist at Temple.

We've been hanging on for the last three years -- but I'm like hoopsterplaya -- I don't see Temple having football after next year. Now, I may be wrong -- but it looks very doubtful -- unless the administration makes some changes.

We have some quality players that should make it to the next level, but it's a shame that the program seems to be falling apart. As far as the public-private debate is concerned -- it's hard for programs like Temple to compete with bigger public schools. Although, we have done fairly well under the circumstances. Our biggest problem has been -- not having enough players to field a proper team. I think we had like 18 players the last two years and many of the teams we play have about twice that many or more. Tell me who has the advantage in that? Now I'm not really complaining -- but for me - I really don't understand all this multiplier stuff. It doesn't make it even competition for us by any means. Especially in football. In basketball it's a different story. But anyway, I guess I'll end all my ramblings for now.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Private schools have a significant disadvantage: they don't get a free education like you do in public schools. Since finances is usually the biggest reason that influences how someone lives their life, this is clearly the biggest obstacle to overcome and somehow the ones on the short end of it are the ones penalized.

Here in Ohio, there's been two large Division 1 schools (no split, D-1 is the largest) who have suddenly risen to prominence and put numerous players into major D-1A NCAA football. Cleveland Glenville this year had NINE players come from elsewhere...and to give you an idea of the academics and environment, Glenville has one of the first schools in the state to have metal detectors. There were kids who left suburban public schools as well as St. Ed's (a football and wrestling power) and University School (a boarding school) to be run through security every day. Columbus Brookhaven won a D-2 state title in 2004, boasting about 5 senior starters who were elsewhere the previous year. They actually had 4 or 5 people report their flagrant recruiting to the OHSAA, and all were basically told to go fornicate themselves.

I would support a full public/private split. I also would support the privates leaving the governing body to form their own, in which there are no rules to govern raiding top players from the public schools. And then, of course, I absolutely would support a year-end game between the public and private champion from a particular class. :blink:

To respond to big_red_big_blue....if a high school coach goes through the motions for a year because there's no financial incentive to excel, I'd strongly recommend firing said coach and getting him away from high school kids entirely. That's exactly what's wrong with some coaches and some schools; how can you expect a coach to prepare high school kids for the future if all they see is that anything without a financial reward isn't worth doing? That's absolutely disgraceful; frankly, it's a shame that anyone would use that for a feeble (at best) excuse.

To respond to big_red_big_blue....if a high school coach goes through the motions for a year because there's no financial incentive to excel, I'd strongly recommend firing said coach and getting him away from high school kids entirely. That's exactly what's wrong with some coaches and some schools; how can you expect a coach to prepare high school kids for the future if all they see is that anything without a financial reward isn't worth doing? That's absolutely disgraceful; frankly, it's a shame that anyone would use that for a feeble (at best) excuse.

well, first I'm very interested in what you have to say because I went to grad school with several Cincy St. X guys, and a few Moeller guys. Obviously the St. X guys are beaming with pride right now. Also of note was that BA played Moeller in (I think) 1990 and won...it was around the time Ken Griffer Jr. was there...

as for the coaches, I'll give you the evidence, you draw your own conclusion. A group of Nashville coaches coached at the same group of Nashville schools for most of the 70's, 80's, and in a few cases the into 90's. None of them ever won anything: very little success in the regular season, zero success in the post-season. None was ever fired. All pretty much got to retire in their positions. Some had consistent seasons of 2 and 3 regular season wins. Every time we played against them, you could go ahead and pencil in a win as soon as you stepped off the bus. When a young, successful private school coach indicated he'd be interested in taking one of those jobs and turning the program around, the answer was, "sorry, no seniority in the teachers' union." The conclusion I draw is: yeah, they show up for work. They do the best they can. But they aren't getting on hands and knees begging the great athlete who is bussed into school, whose parents couldn't care less about whether he plays sports to come out for the team.

disgraceful or not, it's how the world works. It's how my job works: I perform well, I get rewarded. I don't, they find someone else who can.

Ain't one, my friend. I know why the Trousdale Dodgers did it. Their coach Clint Satterfield and Ronnie Carter got together and helped put together this system we have now. I think I remember you saying Smith County, your school, moved up in classification to play teams closer to you. (or something like that) The more I see on these boards from some of the Smith County posteres makes me think you made the move for the same reason as TC did. Now I don't want to turn this into a TC bashing board, but it is so easy. I just wonder if they really think they are the BEST team their size in the state. CPA, DCA, Boyd and others would have crushed them. I am all for a split, I know for a fact there is movement among the privates to split off, just don't know when. I think soon, probably not this year though. We all know that would be for the best. The disadvantage to the publics and TSSAA will be the money they will lose. I for one am so tired of the bickering. I would much rather just play the private schools in D1 and then everyone will be happy. We could even have a Superbowl system, privates vs publics winners in each classification. Just in case yall want to know who the best teams in the state really are. :blink:

BUCCO

Suits me...don't let the door hit you in the behind. I'll think we'll manage somehow.

I just don't get your reasoning. You whine about having to play schools twice your size...then you whine that we all moved up to play schools 1.5 to 3.0 times our size. Which is it? Does size of the school make a difference? Please explain. I asked this question before...but you never answered. Please enlighten.

You are wrong that those teams would have crushed them...then or now. One thing is for sure...this year...it would have been ugly. LA had a better team last year by far. They pounded DL rather easily. That's neither here nor there. There's no way to compare. We all played 9 region games. SC...TC...LA...MC and Portland were pretty good teams the previous 4 years. We were down this year...TC and LA were not...and won titles.

Also of note was that BA played Moeller in (I think) 1990 and won...it was around the time Ken Griffer Jr. was there...

FYI

You may be thinking of the 1990 game with Cincinnati LaSalle (link). I don't think BA has played Moeller.

I know BA went into that game highly rated nationally and was one of many top-rated teams to lose that day (link).

Private schools have a significant disadvantage: they don't get a free education like you do in public schools. Since finances is usually the biggest reason that influences how someone lives their life, this is clearly the biggest obstacle to overcome and somehow the ones on the short end of it are the ones penalized.

Here in Ohio, there's been two large Division 1 schools (no split, D-1 is the largest) who have suddenly risen to prominence and put numerous players into major D-1A NCAA football. Cleveland Glenville this year had NINE players come from elsewhere...and to give you an idea of the academics and environment, Glenville has one of the first schools in the state to have metal detectors. There were kids who left suburban public schools as well as St. Ed's (a football and wrestling power) and University School (a boarding school) to be run through security every day. Columbus Brookhaven won a D-2 state title in 2004, boasting about 5 senior starters who were elsewhere the previous year. They actually had 4 or 5 people report their flagrant recruiting to the OHSAA, and all were basically told to go fornicate themselves.

I would support a full public/private split. I also would support the privates leaving the governing body to form their own, in which there are no rules to govern raiding top players from the public schools. And then, of course, I absolutely would support a year-end game between the public and private champion from a particular class. :P

Ohio is different than Tennessee. There are a whole different set of problems to contend with here. I am sure the same exists there. It seems you don't enforce transfer rules...if you have any. There are rules in place here...even though they are a little too lax sometimes. We really don't have that problem...so far anyway.

What we do would not necessarily work for you and vice versa. It seems Ky. has a whole diffferent set of public/private problems than either of us.

Edited by Antwan

FYI

You may be thinking of the 1990 game with Cincinnati LaSalle (link). I don't think BA has played Moeller.

I know BA went into that game highly rated nationally and was one of many top-rated teams to lose that day (link).

can't slip up with you around :P thanks...I could have sworn they played Moeller that year...but, I guess not.

"Please tell me of a magnet school that dominates in football? The magnet school is academically based, period.

The privates do have advantages that the publics don't have. The multiplier does even out those disadvantages. It is not unfair. So, YOU need to stop all of YOUR whining!!!"

Hmmmm. Somebody needs a nap!

That would be Tyner (and they are a great football team!) and my post mentioned magnets AND open zones, dude.

Please, can you tell me what real advantages (not PERCEIVED advantages) that private D1 schools have that do not also apply to magnets and open zones? Not whining-just answering devils' question.

The advantage is quite simple. The one true advantage a private school has over any public school, except your top public schools (Riverdale, Trousdale Co. *Run it up again Satterfield and claim you didn't do it one purpose. Come talk to me about 1999., Maryville), is motivation. A private school inherits a different type of kid. A self/ parent-motivated child. Public schools have to deal with some parents who could careless about their health much less their children's. Public schools must accept everyone, while a private can hand pick their players. Now, I understand your argument will be open zoned schools can recruit like private schools, but they still have to deal with a lot of unmotivated children. The argument your planning to use will be, but it is the coaches job to motivate his players. One, public schools can not afford as many coaches as private schools. Two, public loses a lot of good coaches to the private sector due to the whole motivation thing I just mentioned. Ask Tyner how many coaches they have on staff. Ask Tyner how many coaches Hamilton County allows them to have who are paid. Therefore, please do not insult my knowledge about the game and life to say there are no advantages between a private school and an open zoned public school/ magnet school.

Edited by TalentWinsGames

Ain't one, my friend. I know why the Trousdale Dodgers did it. Their coach Clint Satterfield and Ronnie Carter got together and helped put together this system we have now. I think I remember you saying Smith County, your school, moved up in classification to play teams closer to you. (or something like that) The more I see on these boards from some of the Smith County posteres makes me think you made the move for the same reason as TC did. Now I don't want to turn this into a TC bashing board, but it is so easy. I just wonder if they really think they are the BEST team their size in the state. CPA, DCA, Boyd and others would have crushed them. I am all for a split, I know for a fact there is movement among the privates to split off, just don't know when. I think soon, probably not this year though. We all know that would be for the best. The disadvantage to the publics and TSSAA will be the money they will lose. I for one am so tired of the bickering. I would much rather just play the private schools in D1 and then everyone will be happy. We could even have a Superbowl system, privates vs publics winners in each classification. Just in case yall want to know who the best teams in the state really are. :P

There is no way that you can justify your argument that Trousdale would have been beaten by CPA, DCA, and Boyd this year. Trousdale would have won it in 3-A this year. Have you gone mad? Trousdale beat LA earlier in the year. DCA was dominated by East Robertson. East Robertson lost in the first round of the playoffs. So, you are telling me a mediocre DCA would have beaten a team that beat Livingston Academy. I'll keep going for you. You seem a bit slow, so I will slow down for you. CPA lost to East Robertson, too (That means also. Not the number two, but they sound alike.). Now on to Boyd. Boyd lost 7 games this year. I know they played a tough schedule, but if they were that good then they would have done a little better this past year. Do you agree? Go ahead and shake your head yes.

I just wrote this because you said some rediculous stuff in that post. I had to correct you chief. I hate to defend Trousdale Co., but this time your making this sound like they are chumps. They are good, but Satterfield is the real chump for claiming he did not run it up on Red Boiling Springs. One day he will realize that winning by 90 is not what matters in the end.

Edited by TalentWinsGames

This topic is titled "Multiplier rule did what it was suppose to do! - Public schools take back the Gridiron!".

I have 2 questions -

What was the multiplier rule suppose to do?

Are you happy now?

I don't know...move the problem up one class? ...and no. :D

Edited by Antwan